Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Covid-19 mask, yes or no.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Covid-19 mask, yes or no.

Many think Covid is a con, and just as many it seems object to wearing a mask when required to do so. I'm not one of them I hasten to add and although reactionary by nature, I feel it's both responsible and sensible to wear one as the situation requires and even more so given my most senior years.

To some of course the word 'require' means 'dictate'.

For what it's worth (which ain't much given it cannot be validated) you can of course download an exemption note from a government web site if you have an health condition that makes wearing a mask difficult and this might sound contentious, but for 'my choice' non-mask wearers, what about being able to download an 'exemption from NHS treatment' note duly signed of course should you be unfortunate (or some might say silly enough) to catch the virus. 

sheep (2).jpg

Over to you guys. 

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.
18 REPLIES 18
Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

Re: Covid-19 mask, yes or no.

The mask, according to the experts, protects other people from the wearer, it does not protect the wearer from other people.  This would seem to be so; I've worn a mask whenever I've been out and about for several months now and have had a couple of slight colds.  The attitude might be different if the mask actually provided effective protection for the wearer.

I agree that a lot of people read dictate when they see require.  It's a bit like those people who have to be told in person to fasten their seat belts on aircraft, then as soon as the wheels touch the tarmac you hear the click-click sound of them undoing their seat belt buckles at one of the most dangerous moments of any flight.

And then we have the business owner who was on the news the other day claiming that he was entitled to stay open because he wasn't breaking the law, just a regulation.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@Jonpe 

Fair enough, but there is evidence that masks protect those those that wear them and sure you might contract a cold like you did, but how many more would you have contracted had you not been wearing one.

Two sides of the same coin? I think so and even if it reduced catching Covid by say 25% I'm sure many would consider that good odds.

Safer with than without for both protection and transmission whatever the ratio or rational sounds sensible to me.  

gleneagles
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

For those who have some genuine reason for not wearing a mask why can they not use one of those visors, as stated in previous posts it’s for other people’s protection.

I am not sure how those who do not want to wear a mask will get on if they ever get COVID-19 and get admitted to hospital they will be wearing a mask then....a oxygen mask !
Mass communication via various sources can be a blessing in getting information to people quickly but the negative side is that anyone can communicate anything as an opinion which others convert into facts for a variety of reasons.

I am not sure if false news can ever be stopped but I suspect it may have cost many lives due to those attracted more to fiction than fact.

We are born into history and history is born into us.
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

OK then, this new vaccine against Covid yes or no?

Count me in, although I do get rather nervous when I hear the word 'essential worker' being bandied around - especially after watching 'Schindler's List' again last night.

Jab away, although I doubt I will be feeling it this side of Christmas.

billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

As I decided, last week, to have my first ever flu jab I'm on a roll so yes I'd have a c-jab.

Funny though how the punched in the arm feeling brought back memories of my childhood vaccinations.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

For the anti-jabbers, they should see the scar my Mrs has got on her upper arm as a result of having that smallpox injection as a little kid. Had she contacted the actual virus itself she'd not be here today that's for sure.

Don't recall having the smallpox shot m'self, but I do remember have the one for polio back in the mid 50's.... as well as contracting mumps, measles and scarlet fever.  Flu jab in 63, which I then went down with about a week later! 

Kids t'day? Don't know how lucky they are. 😊 

gleneagles
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

Perhaps my memory is failing but I am sure the polio vaccine was given on a sugar lump....

Anyone else confirm that ?

We are born into history and history is born into us.
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@gleneagles 

Ah yes, it might have been... or did they do both?

I was only about five at the time so.... 

Mook
Champion

@gleneagles Yes, that's how I got mine.

HelloDuck
Pro

@Minivanman wrote:

For the anti-jabbers, they should see the scar my Mrs has got on her upper arm as a result of having that smallpox injection as a little kid. Had she contacted the actual virus itself she'd not be here today that's for sure.

The smallpox vaccination was not given as an injection the skin was pricked up to 15 times see below that's why I and your wife have a scar about the size of a 1p to a 5p which shows up more when my arm is sunburnt 

Humans battled smallpox for thousands of years, and the disease killed about 1 in 3 of those it infected. It left survivors with deep, permanent scars and, often, blindness. 

• Hold the skin taught. [-Censored-] the skin rapidly with the needle 15 times (or the number of times specified in the vaccine package insert). Keep the needle pricks within an area approximately 5 mm in diameter. A trace of blood should appear at the vaccination site within 10 to 20 seconds.

It Censored the singular but not the plural  

HD

billnotben
Community Veteran

@gleneagles wrote:

the polio vaccine was given on a sugar lump

Don't quite remember that though I'm sure a lollipop was somehow involved.

HelloDuck
Pro

The injectable Salk vaccine, first introduced in 1955, and the oral sugar cube Sabin vaccine, introduced in 1962 so before the early sixties it was given by an injection then a sugar cube

In my class at school there were two boys ( it was an all boys school ) who had contacted the disease before there was a vaccine

HD

Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

Great if the masks provide some protection for the wearer; logically it should but I haven't heard any of the 'talking heads' on TV say so.  I do, however, feel somewhat protected since I started wearing a mask in mid-May but I thought it was just a false sense of security.

How many colds would I have caught without the mask?  Well, a sample of one isn't stastically valid, and in my case the answer could well be none since I've been lucky enough to be cold-free for several years now.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@HelloDuck 

That's interteresting as the Mrs only remembers it as an injection. It's quite a scar she has and more the size of a 10 rather that a 5p piece and given your dates for that polio one, I guess mine must have been given by way of a jab.

All thanks to the NHS we all survived the worst of them I guess although catching mumps as a kid left me with poor hearing for the rest of my natural made worse as the years mounted up but hey, I'd rather go to that great scap yard in the sky with a failed MOT rather be in perfect condition. What a waste otherwise eh?