Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Covid-19 Spend, spend, spend..... NOT

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

Re: Covid-19 Spend, spend, spend..... NOT

@idonno 

You could expect that type of thing on eBay but clearly it’s happening on Amazon as well.

Same old story.....most of these firms are simply after your money, customer service being non existent 

Highlighted
All Star
Fixes: 4

@gleneagles  I must admit Ebay seems to be working better of late. Yes, had a couple of delays but nothing over a couple of days late. I wouldn't have minded the delay, if only they had been up front and honest. What does it take to say 'we're in lockdown and the delivery will be delayed probably into June'. To say it had been dispatched to me was totally out of order.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I've not bought much, say more beers than I should be drinking - better say no more there!

A couple of things I have bought - my sister was having a clearout and found a VHS tape which was home video circa 1992 of my family. That is very (capital V) important to keep that and of course VHS is old hat in this day and age. So I did a bit of searching and found a VHS to DVD converter. Only problem was is I needed a VHS device to play the video on that worked.

Found one on eBay, I assume as they're getting rare - they are not cheap anymore!. £80 and I got one that (thankfully did) work.  The software worked on my Mac and was a bit of hassle to set up but nothing major and got it working.

Bit upsetting seeing some of the footage of people who are no longer with me, but again I will say no more. 😢

I also have contacted my housemate who wants a copy of the Uni graduation video myself and him are in. So I will do that after.

On a brighter note, I am pleased I have a VHS->DVD setup which works now. I know you can pay people to do it, but I like to work out how to do IT things myself, so I studied it!

So I am in a data archiving mode, just concentrating on personal videos of myself - I don't care about TV programmes, films or anything else you can buy on DVD anyway.

Also have had a Blu Ray burner for a couple of years and never used it. My photo collection is around 12Gb which is bad since it dates back to 2001! So backed that up too.

So I'll carry on with the video and move onto something else I suppose.

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

@idonno wrote:

To say it had been dispatched to me was totally out of order.

That's an old problem on ebay.

If you buy postage through ebay, or just enter a tracking number, it's ebay that marks it dispatched straight away when it obviously isn't.

Highlighted
All Star

@billnotben wrote: That's an old problem on ebay

It was on Amazon that I had the problem. Ebay has been very good. 😮

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
Highlighted
Community Veteran

Well finally the battery for my old phone turned up today, sent on 6th, turned up on 20th.. nice one RM..

Fitted it in.. nothing. Absolutely nothing. Not even a flamin charging light. Now it looks like the charging socket might be fubar.

Still not found a car or van... automatics are a pita to find at the best of times but in this crisis... think i might as well stick with the current car and it's half dead autobox.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Highlighted
Fixes: 400

@Lægen wrote:

And with home delivery, (no charges this last month) it's been comparable to what I normally spend.

And of course, no Petrol costs.

You ?

Try buying a new Monopoly Classic board game. Can't seem to get it for love nor money. You can get various other versions; Eastenders, Star Trek, Avengers the list goes on...

Managed to get a classic Scrabble board but for the money paid I'd expect better than a flimsy board and cheap plastic tiles. I miss the quality of years gone by - why do we settle for tat?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Highlighted
Pro

If it's quality you are after and you are looking for the more classic games such as Dominoes, Chess, Cribbage etc, you won't, well in my opinion, get any better than Jaques of London. I have a lot of their games including Dominoes, Cribbage, Draughts and Chess sets, the quality of which is outstanding. The feel and weight of the playing pieces has to be experienced to be appreciated.

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

@7up wrote:

Well finally the battery for my old phone turned up today, sent on 6th, turned up on 20th.. nice one RM..

Depending on the model of phone (and take this with a pinch of salt, as I believe not all phones do this), but does it power on with the charger plugged in? Even with no battery?

If you only have one means of charging it, could it be a dead charger? If not have you tried another?

My dad loved collecting older phones, and he pretty much had all of mine and my sisters ex-phones. Of course I had to support them too. Meant me getting a PAYG SIM and putting it in the phone.

Highlighted
All Star

@Mav wrote: Managed to get a classic Scrabble board but for the money paid I'd expect better than a flimsy board and cheap plastic tiles. I miss the quality of years gone by - why do we settle for tat?

I bought a classic Scrabble board from Argos and I thought it was 100% ok. Yes, board was marginally thinner than what I recall but otherwise does the biz. I see it has gone up £3 since Christmas though.........

I see Argos also have limited stock of Monopoly classic. To be honest I didn't know there were so many variants of it. Well, its not something I'd buy every day. That's my excuse.......  😁

As for the CPU that Amazon failed to deliver. Arrived this morning from Laptops Direct. Pretty good considering I didn't pay for next day delivery. And the packaging was really top notch. Security sealed, god knows how many airbags and in a fairly large box.

Highlighted
Community Veteran

@Alex wrote:

@7up wrote:

Depending on the model of phone (and take this with a pinch of salt, as I believe not all phones do this), but does it power on with the charger plugged in? Even with no battery?

If you only have one means of charging it, could it be a dead charger? If not have you tried another?

My dad loved collecting older phones, and he pretty much had all of mine and my sisters ex-phones. Of course I had to support them too. Meant me getting a PAYG SIM and putting it in the phone.

Nothing with or without battery. The device is completely dead. Charger is fine, tried that on my partners old phone and it works. I did wonder about the charging socket before the device gave up the ghost but once it got charging, wiggling it about didn't upset it which I would have expected so i was confident the battery was shot (it was 3.5 - now 4 - years old).

The thing i like about that phone is that despite the woefully inadequate loudpseaker, the preinstalled apps i can't get rid of, the limited 1GB of memory etc.. it has a very fast disk read / write time (my nokia 3.2 takes minutes to read basic stuff from the ssd), it runs android 5.1 so which still allows calls to be recorded (handy for calls with legal implications), it gets the very good signal, it will send picture messages over 2G meaning i can send on the sim card that isn't set as data (the nokia refuses completely - i have to switch the data to the 2nd sim - it's a total pain) and the old phone also has faster data speeds. GPS on the old one was completely pathetic though..

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 9

@Mav and @Mook, you get what you pay for; if you've got a couple of houses to sell, you'll be able to afford this one. 

If nothing else it should make the games snappy! 😀

Highlighted
Pro

Ah! but @Jonpe, I doubt even that price tag will stop it from getting thrown across the room in a fit of rage by a bad loser.

Highlighted
All Star

@Jonpe  Does it come with security guards? The mind boggles on how stuff gets priced.

Highlighted
Aspiring Champion

@Jonpe Does it come with real money or pretend money?Shocked