cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Covid-19 Spend, spend, spend..... NOT

Highlighted
Aspiring Pro

Covid-19 Spend, spend, spend..... NOT

Just received some Button Cells I ordered (not from China).

Checking my Inventory, it's been exactly 2 months since I bought anything other than food, Loo Roll or Kitchen Roll !

So I've spent more on food, and nothing on anything else !

And with home delivery, (no charges this last month) it's been comparable to what I normally spend.

And of course, no Petrol costs.

You ?

48 REPLIES 48
Highlighted
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 6

Re: Covid-19 Spend, spend, spend..... NOT

@Lægen wrote: So I've spent more on food,

You ?

It why we're of a size...........!  🤣

It's why I've decided to build a computer, no petrol means lots of money saved each month! And as I might be gone by next week, best spend it now!

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
Highlighted
Seasoned Champion

@idonno wrote:

And as I might be gone by next week, best spend it now!

https://youtu.be/X_-q9xeOgG4

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

Can't even get a letter for 3 weeks round here so given up on the very idea of even treating myself. Battery for my old phone hasn't turned up yet and now the flying postman at the top of royal mail has left his position without any apology to anyone.
No point me ordering anything online, it won't get here.

I probably won't be round long, partner is a nurse in Covid wards. I doubt we'll both avoid getting it.
Thank you China, you've destroyed everything.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Perhaps it’s shows what we can really do without.....much of the stuff we buy, excluding essentials, do we really need ?

Highlighted
Community Veteran

Depends on your view..
There isn't much left to go out and do these days as everything keeps closing down so people turn to having pleasing possessions instead.
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I've been buying stuff off ebay as I usually would, the majority of which from UK sellers; a TV to repair that got smashed by Hermes (got it working, but the smashed LCD is a pain), parts to restore a free from a neighbour Electrolux Z502 vacuum cleaner (plus a few mods to make it more efficient filtration-wise), tools I've needed for said restoration, IP cameras for WiFi distance experiments (plus later solar-powering one of them from the shed in the garden when I have such kit available), and some other hobby-related stuff to keep me busy, oh, and of course an Asus ZenFone M1 Max Pro smartphone from china as it was a nice price (still is too) on banggood and cos my old phone was running low on life... 🙂

If we stop buying goods from UK sellers, they'll stop trading, and if they stop trading, they most likely will go out of business, so, distance selling is an absolute necessity for them, with the "free time" people have had these past couple months, it's pretty much kicked off a lot of home hobbies, so keep buying if you can, I don't like capitalist ways, but, helping people stay afloat financially is still helping them... 😊

Highlighted
Aspiring Pro

Excellent Post..... 👍

Highlighted
Community Veteran

When i'm skint i can think of loads of things i'd spend money on.

Now i got a bit of money stashed i can't think of anything i want. Only thing i need is a new set of wheels but try finding something suitable during lockdown..

Highlighted
Community Veteran

@7up 

I guess there will be some bargains to be had when it comes to car sales as I cannot see that sector getting back to normal sales figures for several years.

Highlighted
Seasoned Champion

@gleneagles wrote:

Perhaps it’s shows what we can really do without.....much of the stuff we buy, excluding essentials, do we really need ?

Too much temptation and choice these days, and some people will buy just because they are bored,  a sort of like comfort eating,  but comfort buying instead.  It is  good thing for people to take a look in their homes, wardrobes,  cupboards, sheds, attics and garages and see what is there hardly used,  but 'it seemed like a bargain / good idea at the time'..

There are going to be a lot of sorry people in big debt after this lockdown ends, either from boredom online buying and  gambling on Bingo or whatever or even buying in-game purchases...

Using cards and internet bank transfers to buy stuff also a mistake,  easy to spend money that you never see,  harder to spend actual physical money - which is exactly why people who get into big debt have their cards cut up and have to go back to cash,  it brings a sense of reality using cash that is not their with cashless payment - which is why our headlong rush to cashless society is just plain wrong ( shops and banks love it though,  and governments / HMRC love it because they can track every penny you spend ).

Highlighted
Community Veteran

You'd think that prices would be dropping now while we're still in what is technically a lockdown (not that anyone seems to be obeying it at the moment - nice one boris) but no, prices aren't dropping on vehicles anywhere.

I've tried haggling with a few people, it's just not happening. Not that any of those vehicles were ideal anyway but the point remains, i gave it a go.

At the moment i'm in need of something which can carry large loads so i'm mulling over a van but trying to find something that matches what i need has proven difficult - the few that have turned up would require a trip through london - a place i dread on a good day. Given Sadiq's attitude towards those using the underground those motors are ruled out.

Highlighted
Community Veteran

@7up 

Some private car sellers have a unrealistic value of what they think their car is worth, once this pandemic is over or until we can get out and about and reality dawns on some selling cars that a lot of people will not have the cash or be able to raise the funds to buy a car so prices will have to match what a smaller number of purchasers are willing to pay.

A look around some car dealerships for second hand cars may be useful, they may need the space for new stock, make a offer, you do not need to follow it through.

Parkers guide can be a useful thing to have in your pocket, available at most newsagents, ....I will think about it as I have a few more cars to see can be a useful tactic.

Never be in a hurry...million’s of cars out there......remember ‘Buy in haste...Repent at leasure’

Highlighted
Pro

I have spent the last 40 years buying as little as possible so not much change here! Every time I think of a treat for myself some crisis or other hammers my savings and creates another delay. Not much time left!

I get a feeling that a lot of people have realised how much stuff they do not need and would prefer to trade off less income for more of their own time. This does not bode well for the economy. I also feel that sellers will want to keep prices up to get some of their money back and IMHO it is up to the buyer to walk away.

My favorite quote of the moment is an old one by well known singer Dolly Parton - "its (a song) all about those good old days - when things were really bad!!"

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 9

@7up wrote:

When i'm skint i can think of loads of things i'd spend money on.

Now i got a bit of money stashed i can't think of anything i want.

I remember feeling a bit like that when the rate of VAT was reduced for a few months after the banking crisis.  I wanted to benefit in some way but I didn't need anything expensive and ended up with a few pairs of socks which didn't make much of a dent in the chancellors coffers.

Estate agents have resumed their activities again with virtual visits.  If prospective purchasers make an actual visit to a property, the property has to be cleaned between each visit, so that's an end to them dragging 20 people through your house on their 'open day'.