cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Couriers why don't they Knock anymore

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Couriers why don't they Knock anymore

Just been carded as a courier just rang my door bell and didn't think that knocking might also be a good idea when the bell didn't work, redelivery is Tuesday at earliest  Angry
Having a Victor Meldrew moment but damn I am angry at the moment, all for the sake of some knuckle skin on wood.
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
69 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Couriers why don't they Knock anymore

In general couriers calling on me are pretty good. Surely it's not in their interests to take a delivery away. As I understand it they are paid per drop. Do they also get paid again if they have to return Undecided
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

They don't knock cos they don't actually have your item in the van, so they drop a card in to basically book a delivery appointment, it is an annoying thing, but, that's the laziness of couriers these days, still better than citylink though, at least you actually GOT a card!!! Grin
Community Veteran

Recently I have had a couple of deliveries left on the back step.
With one he rang and ran away before I could get there  Angry
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Well we had one turn up this morning with a big box that the missus ordered (i mean big - it's taken up the entire friggin sofa) and the delivery guy knocked twice! First time as usual and the second time about a minute later.
Sorry to hear of your hassle Gus, I know how frustrating it is waiting for stuff (especially when its imporatant big boys toys lol) but you can't tar all couriers with the same brush.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

Quote from: twocvbloke
They don't knock cos they don't actually have your item in the van, so they drop a card in to basically book a delivery appointment, it is an annoying thing, but, that's the laziness of couriers these days, still better than citylink though, at least you actually GOT a card!!! Grin

I don't understand why they would do that, it doesn't make sense. They are paid per drop so what benefit do they get?
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

I had one delivery driver knock on the door without trying the working bell. He said that this was because often people's bells don't work. Had I not been expecting a delivery I would have been upstairs and not heard the knocking.
On another occasion a driver rang the bell and immediately hammered the knocker so hard I found his manner aggressive.
Gus, when you say the bell "didn't work" do you mean it was out of order or just that ringing it failed to bring you to the door?
Mayfly
Aspiring Pro

I have the opposite, they knock instead of using the bell. I can hear the bell but I can't hear them knock.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: artmo
Quote from: twocvbloke

I don't understand why they would do that, it doesn't make sense. They are paid per drop so what benefit do they get?

Some still get paid for attempted delivery OR they get paid less if they've not attempted. I think it's pretty obvious why the company would want to show they've attempted delivery  Wink
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

The courier only knows there is a delivery for you once it arrives with a consignment note at its depot. So what is the point of having a parcel sitting in the depot and getting the delivery man simply to knock?
Also, what would happen if you saw the delivery driver putting a card through your door saying they had attempted delivery and you asked for the parcel Undecided
Fixes: 47

The Royal Mail and other carriers are dropping my parcels at a neighbour far more frequently than they used to when I'm out.
It used to be either tomorrow maybe or go and collect.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

The couriers have taken to knocking on the East door of Adair Towers. By the time I've travelled from the West wing, if I've heard them, and slid back the bolts and creaked the door open they're already on their way before the local authority Revenue Camera sends them a ticket. We had to disconnect the bell rope to reduce the entertainment of the local school kids. 'Tis why I prefer DPD who send an SMS message in advance announcing their planned arrival time/
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

They always knock here but its more like bang bang bang rather than knock knock.
Community Veteran

I don't mind them banging as long as they let me know they are there.  As for the bell it requires a PP9 battery which are expensive as I only use rechargeables, which are also hard to find
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
Fixes: 125

We don't have a bell...
And the couriers are always surprised when the door opens outward! We do it very slowly Wink

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still