Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Couriers Photographing Delivery Address

Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

Couriers Photographing Delivery Address

Courier firms have started sending customers photographs of their doors
This is to use as proof to show delivery men have visited their home....
Or NOT, as the case may be !!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3093473/Privacy-storm-parcel-couriers-ASOS-Amazon-told-photo...

After a failed delivery one day, for an expensive item, for which my son waited in all day, when he checked with the delivery company, they emailed him a photograph of where they "attempted" delivery" !!
They had "attempted" delivery" at totally the wrong address !!
Right Town, Wrong road, Correct number !
He emailed back with a photo of his place, along with a road map, delivery OK the next day.
Too much reliance on PDA Satnav.
14 REPLIES
jab1
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 5

Re: Couriers Photographing Delivery Address

The comments by the poor hard done by individuals in that article make me laugh - I know DX take the photo when delivering passports - and understand why - a passport is a very important document, and if it falls into the wrong hands, could cause all sorts of problems. Equally, if the courier attempts a delivery, and no-one accepts it it because they are trying the wrong address, this picture helps. Personally, although I understand your individual point PlusComUK, the DM story is a typical non-story.
John
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Earlier this week I was awaiting delivery pf a power mitre saw which had a weight of 18 Kg.  At 2pm on the Monday I had a SMS text from Parcelfarce telling me they would be delivering between 9:30- 10:30 that Monday morning. I'd had an earlier SMS text at 11am to inform me that as no-one was in, they'd left it with my next door neighbour at No 43. Of course I'd been home all day awaiting this delivery. The lady at No 43 is a frail old lady, but it has been over two years since we lived next to her. She was no doubt wondering how to get the heavy package to me now some 170 miles distant.
The retailer's web based computer system had managed to pick up an old delivery address, even though my contact details and invoice address had been updated a year ago. No amount of photographs by the courier would have fixed this one!
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
wisty
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

They also ( at least parcel-force do) record the GPS co-ordinates of the delivery point. I discovered this after a parcel I was waiting for did not arrive - but the tracking website showed it as delivered. I rang parcelforce's  helpline and the operator was able to pull up the GPS co-ordinates on a map. He described the delivery location (Google street view?)  which turned out to be a house with a similar name elsewhere in the village . From there on retrieval was easy.
itsme
Grafter

A couple of weeks ago Yodel resolved for me why over the last 20+ years I occasionally get a wrong delivery.
On the Yodel package there were 2 address labels
The correct one from the sender was
123 Somewhere Park
My street
my town
correct postcode
Yodel put their address label beside the senders which was
123 My street
my town
my postcode
The park is nearly 2 miles further down the road, why did Yodel changed the delivery address?
Fixes: 47

Re: repeat failed recordings guide data issue

A while back I overheard a conversation between two postmen on our road.
"Is this xxxxx road?"
"No it's xxxxx drive"
"Oh shit, I've been delivering on the wrong road"
He didn't go back and collect wrongly delivered mail but went down to xxxxx road and continued his delivery.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I Have no evidence to back this up but I understand that a lot of delivery firms have targets for drivers and if someone is out they have to call back which pushes their targets back for the day, any speeding fines or accidents is for the driver to sort out and I understand it's not the best paid job in the world so I can understand why a parcel is left on the doorstep or chucked over a fence, this does not excuse it but might go some way to explain it.
The more people are required to meet ever increasing targets the more problems will occur, Cameron has said he will scrap targets in the NHS but I cannot see any private business scrapping them.
Community Veteran

Openreach engineers are suppose to do this also when they turn up to a property and no one is in.
Fixes: 47

Our local bin men came to empty my green bin which I had forgotten to put out.
They were in the process of photographing the front of the house when I came through the gate with the bin.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Last year I had CityLink do a complete fail to find the correct address on my, twice, first one the ebay seller just sent out a replacement, and a few months later the second time was an irreplaceable item, so I hounded (politely) Citylink for a week to get them to do the job and retrieve my parcel, as I had discovered that they had delivered to the right house number & streetname, but completely wrong village and postcode (you know, the basic code that's only been in place since the 1950s that everyone should know by now!!!), the excuses that came from the delivery depot. were so laughable, they had the package there next to them, they couldn't find the wrong address, their driver would deliver it that evening, all lies, especially the "It's sat here right next to me" one, as 2 minutes after I ended that call, the packages (both missing packages, amazingly) turned up, so how it got from their gateshead depot. to here in two minutes, I have no idea, except for the fact it was a lie...
Thank [bad word that rhymes with muck] that Citylink went bust, cos they were pathetic, they truly were...
Marksfish
Grafter

The handheld devices the couriers use to obtain signatures have the ability to log the gps co- ordinates where the signature was made. The companies say it is accurate to within 10 metres, so in the event of a dispute, they can check the driver's whereabouts for that delivery. This is when the driver's tend to use the fall back paper and pen as the unit wasn't working trick Wink
Mark
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: gleneagles
..... so I can understand why a parcel is left on the doorstep or chucked over a fence, this does not excuse it but might go some way to explain it.

Normally only allowed if the sender have instructed this.
I'm leaving Plusnet after 10 years and going back to BT and I noticed that they allow the Homehub 5 to be left in a safe place or garden.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

@itsme,
If you have been with PN for 10 years you must have been satisfied with them so what will BT offer that PN don't except a increase in price for a similar service ?
itsme
Grafter

PN are removing VoIP and don't like the way they done it so it made me look at other providers and as my phone is with BT and they now do self-install fibre I thought I give them a try again.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: twocvbloke
Last year I had CityLink do a complete fail

I've mentioned this before but i had a missed delivery from citylink once which cost over £150. They said they would come back the next day and never did. I got threatened by the creditor for non payment and I told them it had never arrived, been expecting it the next day but never turned up etc. They eventually believed me after a legal threat...
THREE MONTHS LATER.. i get an unexpected delivery from citylink of the most battered, torn and crushed box you could ever imagine. Hae you ever seen ace ventura pet detective.. the opening bit he plays a delivery guy intentionally trying to damage a parcel - this literally turned up in a worse state! I have no idea what on earth city link had been doing with it for three months but it caused me a lot of stress. I rang the sender and informed them, sent them photos by email and asked them to collect within 48 hours or the whole lot was going to the landfill. Surprisingly they sent another courier who arrived within a 1-2 hour window to collect it asap - if they'd used them in the first place the whole incident could have been avoided  Crazy
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!