cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Country lanes & cars

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Country lanes & cars

I never cease to be amazed at the stupidity of some car drivers who speed along narrow country lanes giving no thought to cyclists or people on foot, not uncommon for some lanes to have high hedges thus restricting the view even more.

Rarely am I ever walking in such places but often drive along them so at least have some degree of protection in the event of an accident.

Why is everyone in such a hurry these days ?

12 REPLIES
Denny
Dabbler

Re: Country lanes & cars

Have a prime example of this from last week was driving on county roads picking my son up from his grandmas 2 houses on the street.

Just pulled out of the turning to join the road its completely blind both ways so have to edge out slowly. 30mph speed limits in the area with the houses. I pulled out however a car that must have been about 50 metres away started to beep and flash still travelling the 60. He then flew past me giving me the finger.

Anyway I caught up with him 200 yards down the road with his car mangled into a bus couldn't help but have a little chuckle to myself. All passengers where fine including driver.

Community Veteran

And ... horse riders plodding along two abreast in the middle of the road on a blind corner, in a location where there are many paths and bridle ways that could be used instead of the road.

--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

gleneagles wrote:

Why is everyone in such a hurry these days ?

it's nothing new.
people have always been in a hurry. speeding is not a new phenomenon.

Fixes: 47

Coming back from Liverpool to Sheffield recently we had a choice of the Woodhead route or the Snake Pass route....we chose Woodhead.

The following day we heard about a multi vehicle accident on the Snake Pass occurring about the same time we would have been travelling the road if we had so chose.

Anyone who has travelled the Snake Pass across the Pennines will know it's not the ideal road for a race but some drivers treat it as a challenge, often with fatal consequences.

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

I avoid country lanes where possible, there's just too many inconsiderate pillocks speeding down them who seem to think they're the only ones to use them. I was driving down one once and some idiot came the other way hogging the road.. while I didn't go into the hedge completely the car did come back with multiple scratches along the side.

Car parks are just as bad. I remember going round the far side of the local asda car park years ago and was just slowly approaching the point of coming back out into the main car park when some old foold came racing round hooted at me, shouted and stuck his fingers up at the same time. Now I wasn't in a rush to get out of the car park so I turned around and followed him to where he parked. He didn't even realise I'd pulled up near him but I approached his drivers door while he's still sat in it and asked him why he thought I was at fault when I was crawling round doing 5mph while he was racing round the bend without so much as a clue that I was there now how many children could have been in his path. He just looked at me completely lost for words and at that point I said "Exactly... and at least I hit the brakes unlike you!". For a mid 50s bloke to suddenly sit there and realise what he had done was something I'll never forget. His face said it all.

Sadly you can't get through to everyone.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

As a country dweller I have to say that fast cars and inconsiderate drivers are just about everywhere, not just on country lanes..... and don't get me started about horses on blind bends on wrong the side of the road, cyclist two or three abreast, and walkers invisible in green clothes!  

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
cyrilclark1
Rising Star

In my area, West Dorset/South Somerset I always have found horse riders to be most courteous and I have never had a problem with them.

What do you mean by 'wrong side of the road.?

Horse riders must keep to the left. (Highway Code Rule 53).

Community Veteran

I have to park my car at the side of the road when I'm loading horticultural equipment used to maintain the orchard/woodland. It is country A road with no parking restrictions, but the width means cars have to slow/stop before passing my car. The maximum time I'm there is 5 minutes and it is all perfectly legal and safe.

Of course there are idiots who beep and wave fists. My response is to retrieve my chainsaw from the car to show them I'm just un/loading equipment.  They invariably get the message. I have never had to prove it is an operational device.

As to horses in the road they have every right to be there excepting Motorways.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Minivanman
Hero

Indeed they are but as always there are bad owners and bad riders. And wrong side of the road? Riding on the right hand side instead of their left. Met two riders abreast last year as I was (slowly) negotiating a left hand bend. They were difficult to see at dusk, no lights, no bright clothing and of course no sense.

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Minivanman
Hero

Well of course they have every right, but some as we all know think that their rights trump all others.

Community Veteran

I'm a coach driver and a lot of my destinations are rural. Taking a coach round winding country road it is impossible to not 'cut corners' with some part of the bus. It's quite scary really.

As for horses, i have nothing but respect for those who respect other road users. However, when you follow two horses down a mile of country lane, and they refuse to pull into a field to let you pass, you can understand the bad press.

On the subject of horses - I can't understand the mentality of parents who buy their child a horse, then leave them to wander country lanes and roads, mingling with traffic.You wouldn't allow a car on the road, under adult control, that may all of a sudden take off or veer left or right - yet no-one bats an eyelid at people giving these animals to children.  Even stranger are the parents who cycle along with them - what are they going to do if the horse bolts?

Minivanman
Hero

True story and seen this morning. Our road dips down into a blind narrow left hand bend which then opens up towards a long uphill stretch beloved of boy racers especially coming the opposite way, and what did the Mrs and myself watch amazed and open mouthed, some complete idiot in an estate car with ladders on top (window cleaner with a brain the size of a pea?) overtaking right on the bend. 

Country lanes eh.