cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Country Life

Highlighted
Aspiring Pro

Country Life

So Townies are thinking of fleeing suburbia & City living, to better protect themselves from Covid19.

Now that they've become used to working from Home, what better than to have a nice view out of the window, and enjoy life away from the hustle & bustle.

Unfortunately, if too many relocate, the Countryside will become just another version of City Life.

Please don't come, we like it here in the Countryside.

Loads of space, fresh air, and little traffic.

And...... we talk to each other !

30 REPLIES 30
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 41

Re: Country Life

@Lægen wrote:

So Townies are thinking of fleeing suburbia & City living, to better protect themselves from Covid19.

Please don't come, we like it here in the Countryside.

Loads of space, fresh air, and little traffic.

The last line should be amended to......   And.... we don`t want to share it with anyone else.

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

I don't think as is being suggested, anybody is fleeing Covid. After all it's not as if it's going to respect borders is it besides which surely it's more a case of being able to work from home, not having to commute into work each day and not putting yourself at greater risk of infection.

Will it change the countryside much? Well surely not, but they might struggle with getting decent broadband in some areas but no doubt that will be a major selling point. "Nice garden, but what's the Wifi like". 😬

Will if affect house prices? Well you can bet your life it will as those half million pounds plus house owners turn up looking for somewhere cheap to buy. 

The country yokels might look and sound daft.... 

Compare yourself to who you were yesterday, not who somebody else is today
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Some townies who have moved into the countryside have got a bit of a shock......cow muck on the roads, narrow roads used by farmers with slow tractors, poor or no broadband, nearest shops, night life and friends many miles away...and if you are a stranger in some places the locals might not want to know you....the definition of a stranger is if you didn’t have a family living in that area that went back four or five generations.

And in some places they don’t even speak English or have accents that are hard to understand.

So be careful what you wish for....

Far better to visit or stay for a few days that would be my choice

Highlighted
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 159

I'm a native of Devon now living in a lovely village in an unfashionable county where there's a friendly mixed community and nice houses don't cost a fortune.

I despair when I look back at my home county. Most of the locals seem to be living in over developed towns stuffed full of cheap houses whilst all the best areas are full of rich retired townies, mainly from London who have decided to sit out waiting for God in Devon. I guess that the next influx will be the well healed work from homers.

I see it a bit like the way that 'First Nation Americans' as I understand that we have to call them now, were driven onto reservations.

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

I suspect crime rates in the major cities will rapidly increase and that will be the main reason why many will leave the big cities and move to the countryside, of course these places will also get over populated....so more houses, roads and supporting services will be built....so it no longer becomes the countryside but a blot on the landscape.

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

Big cities have always been about work, which is why they got big.

No point living there, taking that daily grind to work and back home again, paying through one nostril for the privilige and then paying through the other for somewhere to live if you have the option to work from home. I'd be all over the chance like a rash if I was office based (perish the thought) and sell up as soon as I could never ever to return.

Mind you, I have been reading about companies installing spy cams in home workers homes.

Can that be true, a twenty first century version of a clocking on machine - only worse.

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 41

@Minivanman wrote:

Mind you, I have been reading about companies installing spy cams in home workers homes.

Can that be true, a twenty first century version of a clocking on machine - only worse.

Alexa is watching you  CoolRoll_eyesCool

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

@shutter 

Close  😲

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

Yes doesn't even have to be cameras, if you are given a work key fob. The can take the serial number and know it belongs to you, then it will keep logs every time you beep in - the logs and know it is you who did it. Of course it will log the time.

Then CCTV around work of course.

Ah home, I wouldn't let anyone in my door installing it around mine. They'll be politely told to Foxtrot Oscar, put it that way. There must be ways of logging which time you log on and off from a VPN and how much traffic you use and if you are actually working? i.e. if the traffic usage is the square root of nothing, then they'd know you have gone down the pub for the evening? 

I remember my sysadmin logging onto the gateway devices, which logs your windows usename and what sites you are visting.

Sysadmin: "Victoria on reception is looking at *dodgy sites*". (Won't say the 4 letter word for it or I will get told off!).
Me: "Ok".
(We both laugh).

She looked so innocient as well 😀 Women as just as bad as men. No offense to anyone.

Sorry that made me laugh. I don't look at those kind of sites of course. 😇

Highlighted
Aspiring Pro

@Minivanman wrote:

Most already have a spy cam installed in their home.......

It's the camera on your computer !

I have Oversight installed on my computers, which informs me whenever my camera or microphone is accessed.

And of course, belt & braces, Post-it Note or Blue tack across camera lens.

Or.... shut the lid on portable device when not in use.

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

Yeah I have one on my Mac, and I can't find my Skype camera I had to use on my PC once a few months back for a video call. Don't know where that is, so I will have to look around.

I still have a valid Skype account, which works. Hardly ever use it, as I don't like looking at videos of me.

I remember one pub, that had CCTV in the toilets. I can see the legimate uses (drugs et al), but there are quite many that are not. I wonder if that is legal?

Highlighted
All Star

@Minivanman wrote:

Where did you read this @Minivanman? Do you have a link at all please.

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

@Mook 

There are a few reports around and not sure where I read mine, but this is the latest one I could find.

@Lægen 

Indeed, which is why I have mine covered (with a bulldog type clip) even when not in use. 

Highlighted
All Star

That article makes no reference to the installation of spy cameras nor it it related to the UK workplace so looks to me to be 'fake news' Azn