Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Council tax

Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

Re: Council tax

You are perfectly entitled to complain even if you are exempt but you can't claim a refund.😀

I remember seeing a post somewhere on this forum a few years ago where a PN customer was unhappy with the BB service and asked about a refund.  One of the staff pointed out that since his BB was free for the first few months and the problem happened during that time, the refund would be £0.00.

Champnet
Champion
Fixes: 6

Finally arrived,  here in North Cambridgeshire  it's a 5.1% increase on last year.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

@Champnet 

That must be the new record then because I read it was Nottingham at 4.3%.

As England faces £2bn council tax rise, Nottingham pays highest bill | Nottingham | The Guardian

Painful either way - as the actress said to the.... 😆

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.
Champnet
Champion
Fixes: 6

Breakdown :

City Council                 +2.0%

Adult Social Care         +3.0%

Police & Crime             +6.4%

Fire Authority                +2.0%

Total  Annual Charge    +5.1%

Could have been worse......

Jonpe
Hero

A total increase of 5.95% here in my part of west London.  They like to split it up so that the GLA part is kept separately thereby pretending that the council tax has only gone up by 2% or so.  And adult social care likewise, why?  It's still local tax that we have to pay whichever way you look at it, and whatever you call it.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@Jonpe 

Taxed on what we earn, taxed on what we buy, and then taxed by both the Lord of the Manor and the King.

Jonpe
Hero

While trying to find 'historic' income tax rates, I came across the Wikipedia entry on the History of taxation in the United Kingdom

The 2 old pence in the pound (just over 0.83%) seems rather attractive as does the maximum rate of 2 shillings (10%) for those high-earners of over £200.  £60 was probably an annual salary most people could only dream of in those days.  The entry also states that William Pitt the Younger had hoped to raise £10 million in the first year but only managed to get £6 million.

How things have changed!

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

I do wonder why, instead of putting up rates for folks in general councils do not increase even more the tax rate on holiday homes. 

Here in Wales they are allowed to impose a premium over and above the ratable value by 100% with a pledge by Plaid Cymru to increase this to a whopping 200% if they are in government after May's Senedd election - but will Councils comply or will, elephants take to the air as at the moment just a few council authorities impose half of the current premium.  

As for those that register their holiday homes as business premises so they can pay diddly squat... 

gleneagles
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

@Minivanman 

From a personal point of view I think it wrong that holiday homes should even be allowed when a lot of people struggle to afford even one home.

In some areas of the country young people cannot even get on the housing ladder due to high cost of property caused by second home owners, Cumbria being but one example.

No doubt many in business support holiday homes as it brings tourists into the area and generates more money for them.

I think the subject of holiday homes in Wales got very ‘heated’ at one time.

We are born into history and history is born into us.
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@gleneagles 

Heated indeed, and the slogan was 'Come home to a real fire, by a holiday home in Wales' but to be fair, it was the Welsh that were selling them in the first place. As for youngsters getting on the housing ladder, do you not think that ladder is not even there anymore given the price of houses anyway.  

Trickle down equality does not work as those at the top prevent it happening. What's needed is to from the bottom by affordable homes for all and as you suggest not holiday or even second homes for the few. 

I actually live in my 'life is now one long holiday' home full time. 😆

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

Well I live in South East London, and I have a nickname for my council which I'd better not say or I will get told off. Yes it does involve a swear word.

If anyone wants to know what it is, feel free to PM me. Better not say what it is on here. 😳

My wonderful council spent 15 million repaving one of our high streets, the line painters must have taken some very long lunches down the pub. What an improvement that wasn't.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@Alex 

"....feel free to PM me"

Feel free to name the Council. We'll not tell anybody, honest. 😋

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

OK @Minivanman 

Bexley.

I am sure my nicname for them will either go into the swear filter, or I'll get moderated.

[-Censored-]ley.

Fine I didn't avoid the swear filter, so don't all tell me off.