Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Council tax

gleneagles
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

Council tax

Council tax letter arrived today.....the increase has been in line with the governments recommendations....but...

The bill has been split into different sections, one section is for policing but that has increased by 7.1 % in Lancashire so the overall increase is above what the government recommend.

Whilst we do not have the highest council tax in the country we must be close to the top, some parts of London are well below what we pay for the same band of property.

We are born into history and history is born into us.
27 REPLIES 27
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Re: Council tax

Nothing arrived here in Carmarthenshire.

Will let you know when it does. 👍

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.
Marksfish
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

We've had ours 2 weeks now, more than enough time to despair about the increase. Nearly £1900 now for a Band C property in Bedfordshire 😕 Wish I lived back in Leeds now, although I don't want my insurance premiums to double again!1 what they give with one hand, they take with the other 🙄

jab1
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 71

My overall increase was just over £6.00/month

John
billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Had mine a few weeks, 5.1% rise. What is it governments and councils often say about limits not being a target.

I just don't know where they expect everyone's extra money is coming from. Next they will be weeping about struggling high streets with less money being spent by shoppers.

I despair with my councils spending and how they are "saving" rate payers money great value etc. Every time I've been near their offices all I see is new décor with new PC's and monitors, never mind their electric vehicle expansion plans. I mean what does it really take to run a database and print a few labels. I did hear a "friend" of the council does well out of selling their "old" equipment.

Shouldn't we be getting a council tax refund after a year of reduced services?

Marksfish
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

@billnotben wrote:

Shouldn't we be getting a council tax refund after a year of reduced services?

Best joke i've read all week :rolling_on_the_floor_laughing:

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

Read this elsewhere and nobody likes paying for something they are not getting, but what have we missed out on?

The rubbish is still being collected and those potholes are still there so....  

PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

@Minivanman wrote:

The rubbish is still being collected and those potholes are still there so....  

We have had the potholes "repaired" ...  and the road is now in need of a complete resurface!

Plusnet Fibre (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
idonno
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 6

3.3% increase round here. I dread to think what it would have been if the street lights had been kept burning overnight. I can tell you it isn't fun finding the car in the dark - parked less than 10 metres away. As for potholes, they tend to let them develop into mineshafts before they do anything to them.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

Finally arrive for us in Carmarthenshire and we've seen a rise of 3.45% which not to bad I suppose.

@Marksfish 

Our band C is just under £1500 

Champnet
Champion
Fixes: 6

Nothing in North Cambridgeshire yet, maybe there’s no charge this year.....

198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 31

£1868 for Band D here in Wychavon (Worcestershire), which is 2·8% up on last year.

The older I get, the earlier it gets late.

ADSL2+   Billion 7800N
Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

Here the overall rise will be 4.7% (£86 p.a. on band D). TBH no one likes price rises, but I'm not that concerned with that for 21/22. as all elements; county, district, fire and parish see rises under 3%. Odd ones out are adult social care (3%) and police and crime commissioner (7%).  Having someone managerially  in the sector, I am aware of the damages already done e.g. homes closing, making placements much more difficult to source. In my option there is worse to come and e paid for by all of us. I'm not sure government funding for 21/22 has been finalised yet. As to police, has crime diminished? Folk want more front line officers.

The reality is that all has to be paid for by all, through council tax or some other levy. to say services have become worse, our bills should be cut is selfish antisocial nonsense.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I've no objection to paying but while I'm having to scrimp and cut corners I expect and demand value for money.

If some are happy to see their hard earned cash frittered away on some silly projects or just for paying for some to sit on their backsides scratching their heads well good on them. Count me out

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@billnotben 

I hear you.

As part of ours, £244 is for the Police and Crime Commissioner per year and I have my doubts for the need of that job and although much less, £18 is for the Community Council of which I have never had any doubts about just how useless they are reinforced over his past year by how inactive and uninformative they have been over Covid.

Can I complain because I am exempt from paying any of it?

Maybe, but as is my nature I will and have anyway.