cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Council Tax

Community Veteran

Council Tax

Got my new council tax bill in yesterday.  My local authority has gone up by 1.5% as previously stated.  Our county council bill (Essex) has gone up by 1.9% so both authorities have done a good job in keeping bills low.
The police bill has gone up by 3% which is unacceptable bearing in mind the service we get and the higher than average rises in previous years..  Fire has gone up by 2.8% which is also high.  Overall we have a 2.7% increase which I feel is acceptable.
23 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Council Tax

I agree Artmo - I don't really know why the Police and Fire bill has gone up so much in comparison with the others.  I've also had my Essex and Suffolk Water bill, which has gone up about 12%  Angry
I've referred it to my MP (in this election year) and await his repsonse.  His initial response was that he had been informed that E&SW bills had actually gone down by a small amount  Undecided
John
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

my highest percentage increase is 5% for the Parish Council - it increased to £12.02 per year  Grin
Lurker
Grafter

Leeds claimed to be one of the lowest rises again this year - I forget the figure though.
Community Veteran

Quote from: hulls
I agree Artmo - I don't really know why the Police and Fire bill has gone up so much in comparison with the others.  I've also had my Essex and Suffolk Water bill, which has gone up about 12%  Angry
John

I haven't had a water bill yet.  I'm on a water meter so maybe that's the reason Undecided
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: hulls
I agree Artmo - I don't really know why the Police and Fire bill has gone up so much in comparison with the others. 

Pensions probably.  I believe Police pensions are run on similar grounds as the state pension that the money raised go to pay pensions that are being drawn.
Community Veteran

I thought these pensions were paid for out of central government.  I seem to have read only a few weeks ago that all these gold plated pensions were costing every taxpayer £500 a year.  It will be interesting to see what other districts are charging for police. The police also pay a large % of their salary into their pensions.
Community Veteran

Let's not get on the "gold plated pensions" nonsense.  I've worked for local government for around 30 years, and my pension has been unilaterally downgraded at least twice.  I've also paid 6% of everything I've earned into it (that went up to over 7% a year or so ago)
Yes it's not a bad pension, but 1/2 of not a lot is - not a lot  Undecided
I believe the police pay in something like 10% of their pay into their pension, because they have to retire from the police quite early.
John
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I Guess we may have a record in Preston Lancashire re council tax rises because the rise is 0%.
Before you get too jealous over this figure I guess we may have had one of the highest  in the country & the Conservatives promised to freeze it if they got into power and in all fairness they have done this.
Interesting to see if this is a one off local election promise or a real determination to keep costs down.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I am also lucky as my Parish amount  is also a zero rise - maybe as I live in the Town Centre Parish and they dont have a parish rate, the only one in the district - 52 of them
http://www.braintree.gov.uk/Braintree/councildemocracy/Parish+Councils/Parishes+and+Towns+in+the+Bra...
Community Veteran

Quote from: gleneagles
I Guess we may have a record in Preston Lancashire re council tax rises because the rise is 0%.
Before you get too jealous over this figure I guess we may have had one of the highest  in the country & the Conservatives promised to freeze it if they got into power and in all fairness they have done this.
Interesting to see if this is a one off local election promise or a real determination to keep costs down.

Same with the figures I gave earlier - promises from our Conservative Council to limit the increase to 1.5%.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

same County as Artmo, my council rates http://www.braintree.gov.uk/Braintree/councildemocracy/council+tax, click link in blue down page for a PDF of the chart
Community Veteran

Just opened my council tax bill. The overall change from last year is 3.7% made up of:
County Council 2.5%
Town Council 48.2% !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Cry
Police 2.9%
Community Veteran

That's the highest we've seen in this thread so far Spider.  What Party runs your council?
Community Veteran

Artmo that is under a Conservative County Council