cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Council Tax

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Council Tax

Seems that people have actually been sent to jail for failing to pay their council tax.

Irrespective of whether or not you agree with that what I don't agree with is that this just applies to England, Scotland and NI do not jail people for this, (not sure about Wales)

True it is up to individual councils to decide if they want to take the necessary steps for such action but any law that could result in a jail term should be fair across the whole country and not left up to the whim of the local council

7 REPLIES
Steve
Pro

Re: Council Tax

It's not just council tax in Scotland where law is different. What happens down south for a non payment? is it pay in full or wages ceased or straight to the nick?

Community Veteran

gleneagles wrote:

Seems that people have actually been sent to jail for failing to pay their council tax.

Irrespective of whether or not you agree with that what I don't agree with is that this just applies to England, Scotland and NI do not jail people for this, (not sure about Wales)

True it is up to individual councils to decide if they want to take the necessary steps for such action but any law that could result in a jail term should be fair across the whole country and not left up to the whim of the local council

It's not the councils that decide if a defaulter goes to prison, it is the courts and they have always varied across the country. I thought the courts were issued with guide lines regarding how they deal with cases to create a uniformity across the country. I'm thinking the matter would have to be really serious - continual defaulter - before prison is considered.

Community Veteran

Steve wrote:

is it pay in full or wages ceased or straight to the nick?

When my bank screwed up both council and water wanted their payments in full. But they quickly accepted my explanation, as I was probably not the only one, and it was soon sorted out.

That was a long time ago when banks accepted even less responsibility for their actions than they do now.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

In our holiday homes we were happily paying full council tax. Then we had a letter from the Council, "because your home is let for more than x days a year you must pay business rates". So we filled in the forms. Then the council told us our property(s) would be revalued for business rates. After the revaluation we'd be paying slightly more than domestic council tax. Fair enough we thought.  Then a couple of weeks later, "...as a small business, you entitled to 100% relief on business rates."

Then they gave a full refund of the council tax we'd previously paid.

So effectively we pay no rates on the homes, even though we were perfectly happy to continue paying our share of local taxes. Absolutely crazy!

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

As a business do you still have domestic rubbish collection or do you have to arrange your own?

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

gleneagles wrote:

It seems to be a final end of the road last resort -

https://www.gov.uk/council-tax-arrears

but in the present economic climate is probably becoming more frequent.

Not young enough to know everything
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

jelv wrote:

As a business do you still have domestic rubbish collection ...?

We have to buy trade waste bags for general waste, but that is only about £2 a week. Recycling collection is still free. I suppose we bring money to the area when our guests spend, but the whole process is daft. I've not checked, but maybe the local authority receives compensation from central government.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.