cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Council Tax

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Council Tax

Liverpool are to hold a referrendum asking people if they are willing to pay an extra 10% on their current council tax bill to fund social care, they are not the first council to do this but no council has ever got the majority of residents to agree to this and I expect no council ever will but I also wonder if it's more of a political move so when services are cut the council can say we tried everything but there is no money to fund these services at current levels.

48 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Council Tax

Yeah... a political scam....

On paper.. looks like a good idea to ask the people if they WANT to pay more...  ( kinda already knowing they won`t WANT to)... so when they get the "expected" result of NO... they can do swingeing cuts, and say.. Well, that`s what you must have expected when you did not want ot pay more...  so stop crying about it...

Reminds me of when I was a raw recruit, standing in line on parade first thing in the morning... the Leading Hand in charge. asks the question....

"Right ,  Who can play a Piano"..  two hands shoot up... ( thinking they were going to play a piano for the concert of something).. ( not me.. cos I can`t  ! ! )...

"OK you two... off you go to the padre... he wants his piano moved...."

Moral of the story ... never volunteer ! ! !

Community Veteran

Last year when Police officers were being cut the Police & Crime Commissioner in Bedfordshire, I think, held a referendum asking if residents would pay 5% extra on their Police element of the council tax (not the whole council tax) to help keep some of the officers. The vote was a resounding 'No'. 

198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

'Thin' and 'wedge' come to mind.

If ever the answer was 'Yes', it would be followed by 5% for this, 5% for that ad infinitum, with veiled or not so veiled threats of withdrawal of services.

Not young enough to know everything
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

I agree with the no vote - the services are being paid for already but the money is being misused on other things - such as invading Iraq and then spending the next decade trying to keep order over there.

Why should we then pay extra for what clueless politicians have destroyed? - If anything the politicians themselves should be picking up the tab and then perhaps they'd learn to be a bit more sensible with their decisions.

I'll agree that it's good to offer the public the vote - history will remember this well but at the end of the day the councils have already collected the council tax that is supposed to pay for those services. I peronsally think that council tax payers should be allowed a tickbox type form so they can decide what their "donation" of council tax is spent on. That way the whole community can decide what its local priorities are instead of the beurocrats.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

LOL - very funny

7up wrote:

beurocrats

Minivanman
Hero

There again, who can be bothered to check out how much the management team from the Chief Executive down earn? I seem to recall Liverpool's top man was on about £200k a year.

Nice work if you can get it.  

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran

Our local city council has been cutting all kinds of public sensitive things such as swimming pools, libraries etc etc whilst blaming central government cuts. Unsurprisingly they've found enough funds to create new positions for Communications Officers (PR).

I'd guess they'd avoid a local referendum like the plague.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

7up wrote:

I agree with the no vote - the services are being paid for already but the money is being misused on other things - such as invading Iraq and then spending the next decade trying to keep order over there.

I suggest you look at what council tax actually pays for. None of it will be used on 'invading Iraq'. That is a central government decision.

Each year you will get a breakdown of where you council tax goes if you are interested. You can also ask your council for a more detailed breakdown.

Community Veteran

Minivanman wrote:

There again, who can be bothered to check out how much the management team from the Chief Executive down earn? I seem to recall Liverpool's top man was on about £200k a year.

Nice work if you can get it.  

I do check and so could you if you wanted to. The chief exec of Essex County Council has a base salary of £195k a year. This is considerably less than his predecessor who was paid over £300k. The reduction in salary was brought about partly by pressure from the public and county counillors. 

Minivanman
Hero

Oh I check @artmo no worries on that score, I know exactly how much our guys over this way get paid and if that's not enough, check this one out!

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/pembrokeshire-council-chief-executives-company-8193308

Pee taking parasites the lot of 'em.

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran

Personally I think the council tax is such poor value for money it has no value.

Many councils are little more than organised bean counters who do nothing but dream up money wasting schemes ignoring their basic duties.

Short of money. That's what my council, like others, always say. But they still had millions of council tax payers money to put into Iceland banks.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

There's no such thing as an honest council...

Community Veteran

billnotben wrote:

Personally I think the council tax is such poor value for money it has no value.

I agree, based on historic house values it's outdated.

Luzern
Pro
Fixes: 2

But it is fair in part despite that, because some services received are the same for every premises whatever the value.

Costs of providing others are influenced by usage, where maybe the old "poll tax" had some merit--every one making a personal for the faculties' availability, topped up by a charge at point of use.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.