Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Council Bin Collections frequency

Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

Council Bin Collections frequency

Bury Council becomes first in England to collect household rubbish every THREE weeks

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2687393/Council-England-collect-household-rubbish-THREE-week...
Our household waste is collected alternate weeks, with Cardboard, Garden Waste & Bottles the other weeks.
They keep going on about how recycling is increasing, and is a high percentage, omitting the fact that the Garden Waste is quite heavy, and includes a lot of soil, and tree branches !!
It amazes me to see the amount of empty wine, beer bottles and tins that fill their large container every fortnight, openly displayed before collection outside some houses !!

Alternate weeks collection is just on the limit for us, and many others around the neighbourhood it seems.
However, we've just had the Christmas period schedule pamphlet delivered, and we may have to wait FOUR weeks before Household Rubbish is collected.
I've pre-empted this, and ordered an extra, large bin, just in case.
Delivered last week.
At least we have the space for all the bins, many don't.
There are two quite local council tips for overflow, and large items.
And if a Wheelie bin is missed on collection day, a phone call usually brings a response within a few hours.
76 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Re: Council Bin Collections frequency

Alternate weeks collection is just right for us as well.
Absolute madness to increase it to 3 weeks.
Was it Eric Pickles or someone of a similar name who promised that we would go back to weekly bin collections.
Seems to me that despite the continued reduction in council services over the years there has been no corresponding cut in Council Tax.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

We have alternating collections - one week domestic waste, the next it's recycled waste. Food waste is collected every week.
I'm fine with this but the problem is that the domestic / food waste start to stink after a few days. This is simply not good. They gave us a special food bin to keep in the kitchen and one to keep outside to empty it into. The kitchen food bin is impractical - it stinks and washing it out daily is just not practical these days when everyone is rush, rush, rush or suffering from health problems.
The food bin outside.. same thing. Stinks to high heaven and frankly, after a week you really don't like the thought of washing it out. Needless to say the food ends up in the domestic waste with everything else. In my neighbourhood it seems that everyone else is thinking the same way because the number of food bins that now get put out each week is virtually none. When we first got them everyone was putting them out but with the pace of life being so fast these days and everyone working every hour god sends just to keep their head above water, washing out the food bins etc just isn't practical.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

Alternate weeks is fine for us and we have "standard" wheelie bins, one for waste the other for recycling (plus a paid-for garden waste fortnightly collection).
Other people have smaller "slimline" bins or extra-large ones for small or large households respectively.
We do have separate small bins for food waste that are collected weekly, though we don't use them - the compost bin in the garden suffices.  Cool
The bin in the kitchen is NOT an odour problem at all as it has a good lid. We use compostable liners and empty it when full - often well over a week.
We often don't fill our wheelie bins and skip putting them out so leaving them for 4 weeks; 3-weekly wouldn't be a problem. Presumably the council in question have analysed the fill rates and worked out that it's practical.
Can't get excited about weekly collections that Mr P rants about; for most people it's going to be an unnecessary cost. Though I can see some dense urban areas might need it.
Fixes: 125

We got the food bins delivered last year. Chucked them straight into the shed out of the way.
Yet to see one person in our village to use them Roll eyes
We were also given a big red bag for putting out paper. It great for storing things in under the stairs.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

hadden
Grafter

When we started recycling locally and were still on weekly collections, I noted that our waste bin was usually less than half full, so switching to alternating weeks seem to make sense for us.
However we always had too much garden waste and some weeks we could have filled three or four bins, so we had to cart it off to the local authority skips. So I started composting and then found I have too much compost. So I got a mulching plug for the mower to lose most of the grass, so now only compost mostly shrubbery and a little grass to activate things a bit. Everything is back under control... and I have enough compost to last a few years.
For food waste, our local authority carried out a public consultation covering a range of options. They then actually listened to the feedback where people were concerned about smell, etc and didn't implement food waste collection.
Our local authority have also not modified their schedules at Christmas and New Year for a couple of years. They only miss collections on Christmas Day and New Years day, so if that happens to fall on your normal collection day, you get skipped (no pun intended, probably) for one collection cycle.
Infinity
Pro

After a week, ie when the recycling bins are emptied, we move the household bin further away from the bin store, adjacent to the property, and it is usually smelling by then.
Hold breath, open lid, put waste in.
In the recent hot weather, it's only a couple of days before it get relocated away.
And the kitchen bins are emptied daily, full or not.
After the wheelie bins are collected and emptied, they are sprayed inside and out with neat Bleach
Fixes: 47

Our black bins weren't emptied this Tuesday morning so mid afternoon I emailed them.
Late Tuesday afternoon they turned up and emptied them.
This afternoon a bin lorry came round to empty my bin and I had to tell them it had already been done.
Strange this as many services were on strike today.
Our blue bin and black bin are alternated every Tuesday and as a single householder I find it to be no problem.
However larger family neighbours often have black bags on top of the bin on black bin days.
The rule has been only refuse inside the bin will be taken but the bin men exercise a more charitable outlook.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

We also have an entrepreurial local bin-cleaning service, no idea what they charge.
A guy with a pickup truck, tanks and sprayers on the back, washes out subscribers bins after they've been emptied.
Too much money around my area I think......  Lips are sealed

We have a couple of gentlemen and a van who offer to clean the bin for 50p.
As yet I haven't availed myself of their service.
I suspect the 50p was an introductory offer.

I wouldn't mind once a year getting the bin thoroughly cleaned but certainly not after every collection.
Recently, under order from SWMBO, I bought a garden waste bin and year's fortnightly collection from our council. I think they've just changed that to Saturday's.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Quote from: Mav
I wouldn't mind once a year getting the bin thoroughly cleaned but certainly not after every collection.

It's a fortnightly service and in this weather the household waste can get a bit wiffy.

We're quite lucky as the house lays back quite a way from the road and the bins are stored close to a huge hedge about 10' from the pavement. Also, the bins are in the shade for most of the day so don't really get overly heated. Just asked SWMBO as she only came home a while ago and she said the only smell seems to come occasionally from the garden waste.

Infinity
Pro

A quick Google came up with this....
Wheelie Bin Liners, and if my quick calculation is correct, they work out at around 40p each.
http://www.binlinersdirect.com/240ltr-large-black-superior-recycled-wheelie-bin-liners?gclid=CjwKEAj...
Mayfly
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Our collections are fortnightly - household one week, recyclable the next coupled with garden waste every 2 weeks but it costs an extra £25 per year to have that emptied. We don't pay the extra because our garden is too big for the bin so we have to do a tip run anyway.