Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Couldn't even arrange a broken leg on a skiing holiday

Luzern
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 2

Couldn't even arrange a broken leg on a skiing holiday

Well the title is a variant on the usual "couldn't even arrange", but that's just how I felt about the NHS today.

I needed fresh batteries fo my hearing aids, and I am used to picking them up either at a local centre, open for a couple of hours an afternoon a week, or in the next small town.

Being almost out, I drove the six miles, parked up and traipsed to the distribution point. "Oh we don't do them now".

YTTicked off"Whaa"! "No, it changed in December. here's a letter"! It turns out the hospital trust has outsourced tests, support and supplies to the  high street, You have to register; it takes two weeks.

So back I drive and visit one of those shops, and finally get them to agree to supply me f.o.c, but first I had to be registered as a private client, then details entered on link to the new registration database as an NHS customer.

Bright spot! I was given ten cards of six, not the four usually dished out. Happy!Smiley, until I got home, and saw an interest charge on my Visa account. A promised direct debit had not been set up!Roll eyes

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
6 REPLIES
Minivanman
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 1

Re: Couldn't even arrange a broken leg on a skiing holiday

Interesting, as it was only last week that my neighbour mentioned that our local hospital would no longer be supplying them as well.

So where do I find out where to go now, and what's that direct debit all about?

As it happens I have a few in stock as I do not use my hearing aid as much as I should do, but it's nice to know these things so thanks for the heads up. 

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

Like the O.P... i needed more batteries, and tubes, used to get them from the local health centre.... discontinued them a couple of years ago... only place was the main hospital... where Car Parking charges are incurred. and you have to wait in line for service....

So... I get mine from Ebay supplier.... they are currently about £1.40 a pack of 6 .. or about £14.00 for ten packs.. ( 60 batteries)..

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rayovac-Extra-Mercury-Free-Hearing-Aid-Batteries-Size-13-LOW-PRICE/262080...

Free post and packing....  delivered to your door.... much less fuss.. and no parking charges..

note.... make sure you get the right battery number... ( mine are 13 ...)     others differ and won`t fit... so check the number on your card ! ! .

As for the tubes.. three different wall thicknesses... ( thickest for hard of hearing.... medium for medium loss... and thin for slight loss ) .... well,....again... I get them from Ebay supplier.... last lot came from a seller in Cyprus... 2 day delivery ! ... not bad...

Luzern
Seasoned Pro

@Minivanman The DD has nothing to do with hearing aids, just my second credit card.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Luzern
Seasoned Pro

@shutter wrote:

Like the O.P... i needed more batteries, and tubes, used to get them from the local health centre.... discontinued them a couple of years ago... only place was the main hospital... where Car Parking charges are incurred. and you have to wait in line for service....

So... I get mine from Ebay supplier.... they are currently about £1.40 a pack of 6 .. or about £14.00 for ten packs.. ( 60 batteries)..

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rayovac-Extra-Mercury-Free-Hearing-Aid-Batteries-Size-13-LOW-PRICE/262080...

Free post and packing....  delivered to your door.... much less fuss.. and no parking charges..

note.... make sure you get the right battery number... ( mine are 13 ...)     others differ and won`t fit... so check the number on your card ! ! .

As for the tubes.. three different wall thicknesses... ( thickest for hard of hearing.... medium for medium loss... and thin for slight loss ) .... well,....again... I get them from Ebay supplier.... last lot came from a seller in Cyprus... 2 day delivery ! ... not bad...

@shutter Do you know which hospital trust dupplies your aids, or your GP's Clinical Commissioning Group?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

@Luzern I assume it is the same as the Hospital, which is a major A&E hospital, . Local GP has just been taken over by another one, so now in a "group".. but the Health Centre was another GP which, I think, is also now in the same "group".

I can`t be fussed, with driving down to the Hospital Hearing AId repair centre, with all the hassle of a queue to get INTO the carpark, then get charged for the admission and then queue to get OUT of the car park again, every 2 weeks or less,

Hence my sourcing the batteries and tubes on the internet... much more convenient....

Apart from saving me time, and the parking fees... I am also saving the NHS some money, that they can use elsewhere !

Luzern
Seasoned Pro

@shutter I was just thinking that with that knowledge you could update yourself and find you neither need pay for parking or battereies, if they can be provided by a local source, e.g. Specsavers.