Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Couldn't even arrange a broken leg on a skiing holiday

Luzern
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 2

Couldn't even arrange a broken leg on a skiing holiday

Well the title is a variant on the usual "couldn't even arrange", but that's just how I felt about the NHS today.

I needed fresh batteries fo my hearing aids, and I am used to picking them up either at a local centre, open for a couple of hours an afternoon a week, or in the next small town.

Being almost out, I drove the six miles, parked up and traipsed to the distribution point. "Oh we don't do them now".

YTTicked off"Whaa"! "No, it changed in December. here's a letter"! It turns out the hospital trust has outsourced tests, support and supplies to the  high street, You have to register; it takes two weeks.

So back I drive and visit one of those shops, and finally get them to agree to supply me f.o.c, but first I had to be registered as a private client, then details entered on link to the new registration database as an NHS customer.

Bright spot! I was given ten cards of six, not the four usually dished out. Happy!Smiley, until I got home, and saw an interest charge on my Visa account. A promised direct debit had not been set up!Roll eyes

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
6 REPLIES
Highlighted
Minivanman
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 1

Re: Couldn't even arrange a broken leg on a skiing holiday

Interesting, as it was only last week that my neighbour mentioned that our local hospital would no longer be supplying them as well.

So where do I find out where to go now, and what's that direct debit all about?

As it happens I have a few in stock as I do not use my hearing aid as much as I should do, but it's nice to know these things so thanks for the heads up. 

I know where I am, I've been lost here before.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

Like the O.P... i needed more batteries, and tubes, used to get them from the local health centre.... discontinued them a couple of years ago... only place was the main hospital... where Car Parking charges are incurred. and you have to wait in line for service....

So... I get mine from Ebay supplier.... they are currently about £1.40 a pack of 6 .. or about £14.00 for ten packs.. ( 60 batteries)..

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rayovac-Extra-Mercury-Free-Hearing-Aid-Batteries-Size-13-LOW-PRICE/262080...

Free post and packing....  delivered to your door.... much less fuss.. and no parking charges..

note.... make sure you get the right battery number... ( mine are 13 ...)     others differ and won`t fit... so check the number on your card ! ! .

As for the tubes.. three different wall thicknesses... ( thickest for hard of hearing.... medium for medium loss... and thin for slight loss ) .... well,....again... I get them from Ebay supplier.... last lot came from a seller in Cyprus... 2 day delivery ! ... not bad...

Luzern
Seasoned Pro

@Minivanman The DD has nothing to do with hearing aids, just my second credit card.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Luzern
Seasoned Pro

@shutter wrote:

Like the O.P... i needed more batteries, and tubes, used to get them from the local health centre.... discontinued them a couple of years ago... only place was the main hospital... where Car Parking charges are incurred. and you have to wait in line for service....

So... I get mine from Ebay supplier.... they are currently about £1.40 a pack of 6 .. or about £14.00 for ten packs.. ( 60 batteries)..

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rayovac-Extra-Mercury-Free-Hearing-Aid-Batteries-Size-13-LOW-PRICE/262080...

Free post and packing....  delivered to your door.... much less fuss.. and no parking charges..

note.... make sure you get the right battery number... ( mine are 13 ...)     others differ and won`t fit... so check the number on your card ! ! .

As for the tubes.. three different wall thicknesses... ( thickest for hard of hearing.... medium for medium loss... and thin for slight loss ) .... well,....again... I get them from Ebay supplier.... last lot came from a seller in Cyprus... 2 day delivery ! ... not bad...

@shutter Do you know which hospital trust dupplies your aids, or your GP's Clinical Commissioning Group?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

@Luzern I assume it is the same as the Hospital, which is a major A&E hospital, . Local GP has just been taken over by another one, so now in a "group".. but the Health Centre was another GP which, I think, is also now in the same "group".

I can`t be fussed, with driving down to the Hospital Hearing AId repair centre, with all the hassle of a queue to get INTO the carpark, then get charged for the admission and then queue to get OUT of the car park again, every 2 weeks or less,

Hence my sourcing the batteries and tubes on the internet... much more convenient....

Apart from saving me time, and the parking fees... I am also saving the NHS some money, that they can use elsewhere !

Luzern
Seasoned Pro

@shutter I was just thinking that with that knowledge you could update yourself and find you neither need pay for parking or battereies, if they can be provided by a local source, e.g. Specsavers.