cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Could this help the fight against nuisance calls?

Fixes: 125

Could this help the fight against nuisance calls?

Will this stop nuisance calls for good? BT launches new landline phone to combat explosion of PPI cl...
A new landline phone that can block up to 80 per cent of unwanted calls, including from infamous PPI reclaiming firms, was launched by BT today.
The BT 6500 phone - which is available to everyone, not just its customers - can block calls from international and withheld numbers, and up to 10 specified numbers.

The phones also come with parental controls allowing outgoing calls to premium, international and mobile numbers - among others - to be blocked.

Seems like a good buy at £44.99.
Thankfully I don't get enough of these nuisance calls to warrant purchasing one.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

29 REPLIES
hadden
Grafter

Re: Could this help the fight against nuisance calls?

This phone looks like a cheap 1970s transistor radio.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Well at least that explains why BTs nuisance calls dept don't want to do anything anymore. They used to be helpful years ago, when I rang them a month or two back they said they could do nothing.
Strange that isn't it. Before anyone decides to slate me for saying it, BT have just released a phone that can block these calls. If they can do that then they can clearly do it at the exchange level so please do not slate me. It's simply another money making tactic.
They were awful as a dialup ISP too. BBC Watchdog exposed their shady little scheme then too.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
David_W
Rising Star

Interestingly I had a call today, picked up and the fella (Indian possibly) identified himself as calling from Consumer Direct, so I knew something was up.  He asked which supplier we were with for our power (I dunno, I guessed, probably wrong) and then asked him who he was really calling for.  Turns out he was actually calling on behalf of Scottish Power!  So a phone like this would be nice to have, although it would be a pain for my aunt who is in America and my sister who (for some unknown reason) always withholds her number.....
kmilburn
Grafter

I'm sure I've seen this story before somewhere...
Oh yeah,  that was it https://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,111720.0.html
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

So the phone can block outgoing calls. What's to prevent someone unplugging it and plugging another handset into the socket?
It used to be possible to buy a key-lockable plate to fit over the phone sockets to prevent someone doing that but the last time I looked they were discontinued.
Fixes: 125

Ooops Embarrassed
Perhaps this topic could be locked in favour of or merged with the thread mentioned by kmilburn?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Although started later this thread seems to be in the more appropriate board.
The other thread is in HomePhone "If you've any questions regarding our landline services, call packages or features, post here." The topic has little, if anything,  to do with Plusnet's landline services.
Community Veteran

Quote from: kmilburn
https://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,111720.0.html

I never knew the PN forum was available via https!
Community Veteran

Sounds an interesting idea.  it will be interesting to hear from people who use it. 
Community Veteran

BT say it is receiving 50,000 calls a month to its nuisance call line. This is a major problem.
Community Veteran

One which they can make a lot of money from  Roll eyes
Community Veteran

A typical negative comment.  BT is a business and making a profit is what is expected of them.  I could imagine your comments if they traded in the red.  As a shareholder I'm pleased to see they make as profit.
The handsets are no dearer than other BT phones and it appears there is no extra charge for the service.
Fixes: 47

So many public services withhold their number.
I have to answer 'withheld number' calls when I'm expecting a call from one of these services...and that's annoying.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

I wonder why they do it as it serves no useful purpose Undecided