cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Could someone please explain?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Could someone please explain?

I am baffled, I admit it. Yesterday, as widely reported in today's press, our illustrious Prime Minister dropped several strongly interpreted hints that the UK will be leaving the European single market. This I interpret as being a so-called hard_brexit, where no negotiations take place on trade. 

Today, it is reported that TM has criticised those who say that a hard-brexit is inevitable, which to me means that we may not necessarily leave without negotiations. Quote "The prime minister said she wanted the UK to "operate within" the single market as part of a new relationship".

This is in http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-38555927

Ok. So what has she actually said? Does anyone have any idea? Or is it a game she's playing? If so, I don't find it funny! Angry

30 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Re: Could someone please explain?

I think what she is saying is that she would like to operate within the single market providing agreement can be reached on certain issues.

If agreement cannot be reached then we will be out of the single market.

This is a difficult time, if you start making threats, it simply gets the other sides back up and you get nowhere but equally you cannot come across as being soft and make it sound you will agree to the other sides demands.

Irrespective of anyones views of this topic most would agree she has a difficult task on her hands, not helped by those in power/civil service making critical and personal remarks.

Community Veteran

@gleneagles  Thanks. Basically as I figured. It doesn't help that certain parts of the press do an abysmal job of reporting plain facts.

Has anyone noticed that just recently the BBC news site articles seem to be written by people who obviously have no understanding of what they are writing about? That goes for all topics, not just politics.

Minivanman
Hero

I'm not so sure anybody really knows how this is all going to turn out, least of all the prime minister given that even those so called 'experts' on both sides of the divide cannot agree even amongst themselves. We might just as well lick our finger and see which way the wind is blowing.

One thing you can be sure of is that for good or for bad it will be for the UK to steer its own course unshackled and unhindered from the bureaucratic nightmare that the EU has become. It's a big world out there and with half of our trade already coming from outside of Europe, the EU is not the world leading dominant trading block it thinks it is.

Brexit is not just about trade, it's also about being British.

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Anonymous
N/A

Minivanman wrote:

Brexit is not just about trade, it's about being British.

What utter nonsense. We are no less British for being in the EU. 

Brexit is about little Englander xenophobes who prefer to blame foreigners for everything rather than seeing what this dreadful Tory government is doing.

Anonymous
N/A

And just to get the so-called bureaucratic nightmare into perspective...

IMG_0163.JPG

Community Veteran

@notinmyname

So you would prefer a Labour government ?

Whatever a Labour government is.

Or perhaps one of the other parties ?

Community Veteran

@notinmyname

I like that word, 'Servant'

Bet there are lots of people who would like that servant job.

They are anything but servants

Community Veteran

... little Englander xenophobes who ...

This phrase neatly expresses the contempt shown by those who think we should be governed by an Elite rather than democratic representation of the majority. The current bunch of EU leaders with their desire for unrepresentative power in a federal state have lost touch with the people.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

One wonders how much longer we have to wait before we find out what we were actually voting for in last year's referendum!

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Community Veteran

Think of a number larger than 10, then put it in front of the word "years"! 

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

@AlaricAdair  Would be interesting to see a "summit" of the European Powerbase... chaired by Corbyn, with Hollande and Merkel up against Trump and Putin.   all trying to "work together" for peaceful co-existance and Free Trade for all...

( Replacing Corbyn with May, probably wouldn`t make any difference to the out come, though )...

Oh and don`t for get Sturgeon, as tea lady,... trying to sweeten anyone she seems good enough to support her ideals..

Anonymous
N/A

AlaricAdair wrote:

... little Englander xenophobes who ...

This phrase neatly expresses the contempt shown by those who think we should be governed by an Elite rather than democratic representation of the majority.

Or maybe the feelings of someone who doesn't feel that 37% of the electorate should be able to bring about our catastrophic departure from the EU. And as for democracy, remember that 63% of the electorate DID NOT vote to leave the EU.

Anonymous
N/A

jelv wrote:

One wonders how much longer we have to wait before we find out what we were actually voting for in last year's referendum!

But Mrs Mayhem has already told us. A red, white and blue brexit. Couldn't ask for anything clearer than that...

Community Veteran

notinmyname wrote:

... as for democracy, remember that 63% of the electorate DID NOT vote to leave the EU.

100% of the electorate had the opportunity to vote. Some chose not to get involved, presumably content that other peoples' vote would be representative of their views.  The EU leaders were given the opportunity to offer Mr Cameron a deal which would appeal to the UK electorate, but they chose not to.

I just wish Mrs May would get on with the process of invoking Article 50 so that serious negotiations can start.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.