Minivanman
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 1

Re: Could cash catch on?

I see you are back on form. :sad:

PowerLee
Rising Star

Google pay user here, more secure then a contactless bank card as it requires the phone screen to be unlocked via either pin / fingerprint / iris / face before allowing payment - & you get a confirmation pop up on phone saying time, date, amount & where it was within seconds of making a payment.
Highlighted
Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

Next up, face recognition scanners coming sooner than we think to a counter near you. The technological version of asking us to drop our pants and bend over.... "and all I was buying was a cauliflower!" :wink:

RobPN
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 4

@Minivanman wrote:

asking us to drop our pants and bend over.... "and all I was buying was a cauliflower!" :wink:

Ah yes, but with the price of cauliflowers sky-rocketing due to shortages ...  :wink:

idonno
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 3

@RobPN wrote: I'm not sure whether the 3% you're referring to is due to exchange rate margin, a 'foreign transaction fee', or a charge made by the retailer in the country referred to (outside EU?) for using plastic,

In Vietnam (& SE Asia), the retailer, hotel etc automatically add 3% extra to the bill for using a card. One reason cash is king there. And, as you point out, that is before any forex transaction fees kick in. Like I said, I always take cash and change the money there to the local currency. Changing £'s there, I get 10% extra than if I exchange in this country before flying there.

It's all money! And I always feel so rich there. Well, anyone would if you're given a 500,000 dong note - doesn't take long to become a millionaire. But in reality, 500k is only worth about £16 :sad: But that said, it does buy a lot. With that note, I could buy about 48, 1 litre bottles of Tiger beer. And there is no shortage of bank branches or ATM's either. 

I

Ever helpful. :grin: Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
DaveyH
All Star
Fixes: 11

@PowerLee wrote:
Google pay user here, more secure then a contactless bank card as it requires the phone screen to be unlocked via either pin / fingerprint / iris / face before allowing payment

Not to mention the use of virtual card numbers and tokenization - So skimming and data leaks aren't really an issue

- & you get a confirmation pop up on phone saying time, date, amount & where it was within seconds of making a payment.

Yep, and additionally my bank pings me too, so far easier to keep track of spending than cash unless I want pockets full of receipts..

Community Veteran
Fixes: 11

Booked some tickets at the Guild Hall in Preston earlier this year, a month later it went into administration.

Tickets paid for by card so money refunded but press reports in the local paper say anyone who paid cash will lose their money.

So that's one advantage of using a card, also saves having lot of loose change in your pocket if you use contactless card for stuff under £30.

However I do use cash, if a tradesman has done some work for me it's not uncommon in this area for them to say are you paying by cash or card, there is a price difference in most cases for obvious reasons.

idonno
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 3

@DaveyH wrote: spouted by luddites...

Plus who lets their battery go completely flat? 

I charge my phone overnight regardless, and can get 2 - 3 days out of it if necessary, plus I can fast charge it to 80% in about 20 - 30 mins if necessary.

Yep, definitely a luddite but that is only because I work with electronic stuff, networks etc. And I certainly don't charge my phone everyday. i.e. I'm not tied to it and it certainly isn't an essential item to me. But each to their own :smiley:

Ever helpful. :grin: Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
Baldrick1
Hero
Fixes: 89

I see lads in my local buying beer like it's going out of fashion and paying with their contactless cards/phones, never bothering to get a receipt. I have always paid for such little luxuries with cash in the knowledge that when my wallet is empty it is time to go home. At least my hangovers only lasted the next day and were not of the financial kind reoccurring at the end of the month.

Community Veteran

My club has recently gone card only and no problems have occurred. The only exception is in the bar area where cash is accepted.

I spend some time in the US where it is not uncommon to find card only establishments.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

@Champnet wrote:

At least I know where my card’s been....

In a filthy slot!!!

(Sorry, couldn't resist)

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Champnet
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 2

Quite right, but I still know where it’s been....

wotsup
Champion

@Minivanman wrote:

I see you are back on form. :sad:

It's not easy being perfect all the time........

Community Veteran

I remember a small local supermarket losing all power along with a couple of nearby buildings.

The owner was still more than happy to take cash. Yes of course the electronic till was down but the owner was old school so he knew how to add up and use a pen and paper.

PowerLee
Rising Star

I always keep some cash on me for an emergency, like when the card reader goes down in the work canteen the cash point also goes down with it as there both linked together.

Then again it would need to be a real emergency to want to eat anything prepared in that canteen.