cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cost of telephone lines

N/A

Cost of telephone lines

A relative is currently using Plusnet Value.  She is moving into her own property soon and will need broadband but doesn't want a telephone line as she has recently renewed her mobile contract.  What it boils down to is that she will have to pay PN £17.74p for broadband.
She will be on a very tight budget but having enquired about a dongle it seems that they do not work very well as they are too slow.
I think that telecom companies should do more for people in this situation as there are so many who principally use their mobiles and not their landline.  Is there any way around this?  I expect not but would like to know what others think about this.
23 REPLIES
Fixes: 47

Re: Cost of telephone lines

My Daughter uses her T-Mobile dongle on her laptop as she doesn't have or want a land-line.
Admittedly most of her internet usage is uploading photos to Facebook but she gets by with the occasional complaint about speed.
She has recently negotiated a very good deal, far better than mine Roll eyes
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
N/A

Strat - thank you for this information which is exactly what I want to know. Her contract is with TMobile anyway.
She has been told by her pals that dongles are no good.  I will go up to the local CPW and check out with them but meanwhile would you please post any more information if you have it?  Facebook is the thing that she likes to use most although she does not upload photographs as a rule.
Is your daughter in Sheffield and do you know what the speeds are? 
Fixes: 47

I've been invited round for Sunday dinner so I'll check it out then.
Yes she does live in Sheffield and in not the best of signal areas.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
N/A

Enjoy your lunch!
Just checked on internet and a dongle is £15 per month.  She has a mobile contract for £10 per month so this would come to £25.
She would only save  £2.74 each month if she had this instead of Plusnet (£17.74) plus her current contract.
Still think that companies should help out here.  What happened to Plusnet Essentials where the telephone line was very cheap as it did not have the free evening/weekend calls?
Can this still be provided on request?
Community Veteran

I thought that I had read somewhere that if you buy a dongle and it doesn't work you can take it back for a refund.  Worth asking.
N/A

Thanks for that - I had hoped that it might be possible to have a get out clause.
Meanwhile, I am hoping that Pierre pops in because I want to know the name of the legacy Homephone product that he is on - the one with the 240 minutes free use.  I can't for the life of me remember it but it might be worth asking if this is still available on request.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

mine is called Home Phone Anytime , dont think you can get it now, cost is £11.25 which includes the 240 mins to  01/02/03 and 0870 (not 0845)
Community Veteran

A couple of things:

• Plusnet Essential was £16.99 a month so, unfortunately, it wouldn't be very useful in these circumstances.

• Dongles are definitely worth considering – my aunt lives in a house with no phone line, so bought a 3 mobile broadband dongle and gets about 2Mbps using it. 1GB can be had for as little as £6.67 per month, by purchasing a pay-as-you-go ‘bundle’ where you get a dongle and 12GB (with a year's expiry) for £80.

N/A

Ah  yes, thank you for jogging my memory Pierre.  In the past (IIRC) people have been able to use legacy products by special request.  However, that was when Plusnet was different and a bit more personal.
On reflection, it is not an improvement on current offerings. The old but short-lived Essentials product would have been good as she is not a heavy broadband user.
Wonder why that was scrapped?
* Thanks for reply - sorry, we crossed posts.  Glad that you have jogged my memory and yes, it would not be much better really. 
Good to have a more positive view of dongles. Will walk up to CPW tomorrow as her mobile is with TMobile and this is reported as being a good area for reception. Might be able to negotiate a better deal than the one advertised.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

just looking at my inSider plot, there is one on chan 11 that seems to be a dongle, it is a parabolar around Chan 11 and not the 3 or 4 chanel flat responce and its speed is 11M as again mine at 54 and a few BT ones at 130, and a TT Dlink at 270
MrC
Grafter

Quote from: pierre_pierre
just looking at my inSider plot, there is one on chan 11 that seems to be a dongle,

GSM dongles don't work at wireless frequencies (fortunately Smiley ) - what you're likely seeing is a wireless router or AP working at the older 802.11b standard.
matt_2k34
Grafter

might be worth noting that Tmobile / Orange share signal...
www.t-mobile.co.uk/share/
https://kareena.orange.co.uk/share/
Once you have one or the others dongle (best price) because its just using basically a SIM inside a dongle, you should be able to add it to the respective site above. Will give you the best signal of either Tmob or Orange.- means you can try and force a bit of a better bargain Tongue
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Hope you guys don't mine me chiming in...
I've had a dongle with 3 since Feb I think... never had any problems really apart from once or twice when I couldn't connect. Apart from that its been very reliable and the speed for browsing easily matches our PN connection which has become somewhat sluggish.
On PAYG 3GB costs £10. Thats with no landline rental, no ISP charges on top... just £10. A 24 month contract for £15pm would see this increased to 15GB but in fairness I've heard a few complaints about 3's contract users suffering bandwidth problems.
I guess its down to the area, the landscape, the signal strength etc. I'd personally recommend buying and trying. If its no good take it back.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

just a thought...... what about using a cable company?   most streets/roads are already "cabled up".... so would only need the cable connection to the house... a contract with a cable company would give a good speed, and probably phone included....
just a thought !