cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cost of living

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Cost of living

Watching the BBC News at lunchtime they were interviewing a woman who said the total annual income she and her partner earned was £ 45,000.

Ok the mortgage was around £600 a month so that's a fair dint into the annual figure but she claimed they could not save, have holidays and there was little food in the house.....cupboard was opened to show a few boxes and mainly empty shelves.

Is the problem that people are simply not spending money on appropriate things, by appropriate I mean essential rather than having the latest thing in fashion or choosing a less expensive item rather than the one with a well known brand name ?

Or am I being too critical ?

Smiley

30 REPLIES
jab1
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 5

Re: Cost of living

It is very easy to empty a cupboard for a 'photo oputunity.Wink

John
Fixes: 105

assuming it's an equal split e.g it's not a single income and no pension contributions take home would be around 3000 for the pair.

approx 150 for utilities (gas / elec / water), 200 council tax and 600 mortgage that would leave 2250 disposable income a month.

ok there will be car / phones / broadband etc.. but you'd have thought they'd be able to save something.
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

£ 200 council tax?  Seems a bit steep. I only pay £140 for Adair Towers.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Fixes: 105

Oh absolutely, I was being heavy with the estimates to prove the point. Ours is somewhere around the 140 mark too.
Will Moderate For Thanks
alanf
Aspiring Pro

Was that income gross or after tax / NI / pension contributions etc.?

Perhaps there was little food in the house because they ate out or had takeaways every day. That would make a dent in the amount left for savings.

Fixes: 125

I heard it in the background - I think he was full-time and she was part-time.

Is £600 a huge mortgage? Our rent is £600 pm and me and SWMBO manage on a lot less than £20,000 a year. Then again we haven't had a holiday for 4 years but the cupboards are rarely bare.

Like an earlier poster said; quite easy to empty cupboards to prove a point.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Luzern
Pro
Fixes: 2

@AlaricAdair Neither the couple nor you say what band the property is in. Another missing factor is whether the area'is rates are high. I'd refrain from criticism of anyone for what is paid for council tax per se. People cannot always choose where they live. The map tells how rates vary.

More generally, there is often more to a story, good or bad, that would spoil the pithiness needed for a news item. 

One of my children works as a part-time professional manager in a LA sector, her partner a chartered land surveyor. They do afford holidays with their boys, mostly camping, or hostel. It suits their active life style, but I don't doubt that were his DIY skills not high, and they were high livers, they could afford so much.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Minivanman
Hero

You could double that income and still draw the same conclusions.

I well recall reading an article in the Mirror years back about how three families with three distinct and different incomes could not 'manage' and y'know what, the third example on today's equivalent of a hundred grand a year really couldn't - not after paying school fees, the gardener, the maid, the pool cleaner, Cassandra's pony lessons and for that bi annual holiday in the Alps or wherever.

Sheesh.

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran

It's all down to lifestyle. No I can't afford to jet around the world or buy the latest "green" hybrid.

I live within my means, a small fraction of the above, but all my cupboards are overflowing.

That couple must be simply living beyond their means as they are certainly what no one would call hard up or destitute.

Just no idea of managing their money.

Minivanman
Hero

Ditto and spot on!

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

I wish my income was £45000 Smiley   rather than my £8,700 and i have food in cupboard and freezer

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Jonpe
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 2

I remember back in the 1980s when student grants/loans were cut, a woman from Surrey was interviewed on the news and said something like, "It's very unfair, I think my husband only earns about £50,000 a year at the moment."  I, and I'm sure most other viewers, felt so sorry for her!Laugh

Minivanman
Hero

Interesting interview earlier where Jeremy Corbyn admitted earning more that £138,000 but indicated that he puts the money elsewhere. Maybe he donates it to a charitable cause - like the Labour Party. Wink

http://www.itv.com/news/2017-05-15/jeremy-corbyn-tells-itv-tonight-freedom-of-movement-will-end-with...

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I'm presently getting under £4k a year, which just about covers the "cost of living", but given I don't have a mortgage, a fleet of cars to insure, tax & maintain, multiple holidays a year, kids, nannies, cleaners, pool boys and suchlike, I get by reasonably well, dunno how the £50k earners can say they're "struggling", they just don't know how to manage their money properly... Smiley