cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cost of leaving your car with the window open in Leeds

Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Cost of leaving your car with the window open in Leeds

http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/news/Police-39nick39-Leeds-driver39s-car.6327693.jp ;
Police 'nick' Leeds driver's car
Luckless Marcus Morris reported his car stolen – and police admitted THEY had taken it.
West Yorkshire Police told him a window that had been left open accidentally meant the vehicle was at risk of theft
<snip>
Believing it to stolen, he contacted police who told him they had removed it to protect it from thieves.
A window had been left open, they said, and a CD wallet was in the back of the car. The vehicle had been taken to a storage facility.
When Mr Morris went to collect his car the next morning he was handed a £150 bill. He said: "I'm not working at the moment and that's a lot of money for me. It's money I don't think I should have had to pay.".
Interesting readers response
Xantos,
Yorkshire 31/05/2010 15:14:38
I read with interest the article about Marcus Morris' car which was 'stolen' by West Yorkshire police recently. Exactly the same happened to us in West Yorkshire last year - my wife's car was removed because it had been left with the window open. We had loss of earnings and a 160 mile round trip to recover the car on top of the £150 pounds.
I was so incensed that I carried out extensive research on the legal framework surrounding the removal of vehicles. This confirmed my belief that the police are not empowered to remove vehicles in these circumstances. I exchanged letters and emails with West Yorkshire police for over six months asking repeatedly "under what legislation are the police empowered to remove a vehicle that has been left with the window open?" I never got a reply to that question. A freedom of Information request revealed that they didn't have a policy on the removal of vehicles in these circumstances. Unable to answer my questions, they eventually put the case in the hands of their solicitors. Three weeks later I received an email stating that they would reimburse me for all costs incurred. I said "thank you" and, quoting a number of similar cases taken out against local authorities whos had removed vehicle illegally, respectfully invited them to pay compensation on top of costs. A short while later I was offered £350 which I accepted.
What I really wanted but never got was an apology and for them to admit they were wrong.
8 REPLIES
Steve
Pro

Re: Cost of leaving your car with the window open in Leeds

And not just in leed's!
Community Veteran

While the police where busy removing this man's car to prevent it being stolen, the car thieves were down the road stealing other cars.
Community Veteran

We all want the Police to look after our interests but this is going too far.  I wonder how many other crimes were committed whilst they were dealing with this one Undecided
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

The question has to be asked how much were they left open? I usually leave mine open about 1" all round to let some air into the car, and have never been towed before. But I have seen cars left with the back window down completely, and what do they do with open top cars?  Cheesy
Community Veteran

so it's not just the plebs getting up to mischief in west yorkshire?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Could just be the police chiefs there being at being "god"s again, like the CC of W.Yorks hated bikers (or did a couple of years ago) maybe now it is cars with open windows ?
Community Veteran

How about the CC in Wales - he hates motorists full stop Huh
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Quote from: Steve
And not just in leed's!

Too true! It's also in S'outhampton, Hartlepool's, Bris'tol, Ches'ter and Glas'gow!  Grin