cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cost of internet

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Cost of internet

In general do you think being on the internet costs you money or saves you money in the long term ?

By saving I mean finding and getting items cheaper than in the shops, savings on energy, insurance etc.

These savings have to be set against what you pay your IPS provider so are you financially better or worse off..

Clearly your time is valuable and the internet is convenient but it would be difficult to add that to the equasion.

8 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: Cost of internet

In a way it probably costs me more, cos I'm a sucker for "spares or repairs" items on ebay... Grin

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I just couldn't survive without the Internet. All your local authority business is on as well. I use Ebay and Amazon plus others extensively always checking prices against local shops. I am also organising a roof repair for our local church and applied for a grant online and all the plans and Faculty etc are all done online. Plus I use Internet banking to control our accounts.
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Definite save if today's runaround is anything to go by.

All I needed was a plastic connector for my rainwater drainpipe (I was replacing the rainwater harvester section) and blimey what a hassle it is was trying to buy one locally. Finished up going to two fairly local building suppliers and then two more ten miles away (one being Jewsons) and not one of them had this rather simple and common item in stock. The result? Decided to order online from Screwfix, £1.45 for the connector plus £5 delivery and it will be here tomorrow morning. If I'd had tried them first I would have saved time, saved petrol, saved wear and tear on my car and saved what patience I had left after chasing around all bloody morning! 

Internet saving? Most definitely if this experience is anything to go by.  

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
St3
All Star

The internet makes you spend more!

Win 10
i7 7700k
GTX 970
Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Item turned up just after 9am this morning, so that's less than twenty four hours!

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Luzern
Pro

St3 wrote:

The internet makes you spend more!

I don't agree with that statement. The internet is merely a conduit through which a firm displays its wares. IMO you may as well claim that a shop window makes you spend more.Grin

Another problem AFAIAC is that the statement suggests a human can be made to do something. Under duress that may well have legs, but in the purchase of goods or services, I think our free will is always in action.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Community Veteran

Several years ago I would have had to agree with that statement. As when I was without a PC and the internet it was a sort of a surprise that many of the things I thought I needed, without the internet, I didn't need or miss if you see what I mean.

But fast forward to today and now you do need the internet to save money and buy some things that you really want that are in themselves not in any way related to your PC or internet. If that makes sense.Smiley

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

The internet is a cost we all have to bare these days i'm afraid. It's a neccessity in todays world.

We do buy a fair few things online like most folks and yes in many aspects you save money over the high street chains but there is a delay in getting the stuff which winds me up. Order something from china and thats a 3 week wait if you're lucky enough that it turns up. By that time you're time to leave feedback etc on ebay starts to dwindle...

But yes on the whole it does encourage spending to a degree but then you often save money over what you would spend without the web. We also order our groceries online for home delivery and although it costs £5 a month for unlimited deliveries (min spend £40) it saves on the fuel and the time of going round the supermarket and then grabbing those extra things they've strategically placed to get your attention etc.

I see the internet a bit like mobile phones in the early 90s. They existed and they were expensive. Plenty of people wanted one but couldn't justify it. The same with the internet... it came about, was pretty expensive and few could justify it. As time has gone on, the cost of it has come down and its become a national and social need to have some form of internet access - via the landline or on your phone.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!