cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cost of funerals

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Cost of funerals

Mrs Adair's dad has spent too long on this planet and will be leaving us soon and going to a different astral plain. We've be planning the departure ceremony in advance. The prices are astounding. In fact it would be cheaper to buy a one acre field and bury the body there. This can be be done legally with some paperwork, plus you have the added bonus of being able to bury a second body on the plot of land at no additional cost other than the ceremony.. Any more than two and you have to have the local authority give planning approval.

On a lighter vein, having read an article in the Sunday papers, I'm thinking of branching into the business of a crocodile farm.  Maybe there's a a variety of services I could offer from the farm ....
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
24 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Cost of funerals

It's scary really - even a basic cremation costs an arm and a leg (well two arms, legs, head etc ).
Community Veteran

A friend runs a business and one of the things she sells is funeral plans.  You pay a fixed fee when you take out the plan and that looks after everything when you die irrespective of rising costs over the years.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Yes it's a racket. Some people have actually had permission to bury a relative in their garden although I guess you might have problems selling such a property.
There are some private burial sites where you can be buried in a wicker or similar type of coffin with a tree or something similar planted on top. Providing it was carried out in the correct manner there would be no need to even use an undertaker and transport the coffin in a suitable vehicle with the help of friends.  
Fixes: 47

When my wife died I bought 2 plots side by side.
If I don't go fairly soon it'll cost me a tidy sum to renew it for another 20 years.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

@gleneagles, You may be thinking of a Woodlands Burial. An idea that Mrs P and I have seriously discussed, personally I quite like the idea.
The biggest problem may be convincing family that's what you want.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

When I die, I want to be cremated and my ashes (well some of them) placed in a locket and worn by my wife. That way I'll be wedged between her boobs all the time  Grin
Community Veteran

Yes that's what I had in mind.
Surprised you say the biggest problem is convincing the family, I can understand that if they are very religious but that aside it's up to you and your wife what you want and they should support you in that.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

I read an article on one of the media tabloid sites the other day tht many families are now refusing to bury their loved ones and instead letting the local council foot the bill instead. They then turn up with huge flower displays and wind up the council staff.
Got to be honest, in this day and age you can't afford to live but you can't afford to die either  Crazy
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

Quote from: Petlew

If it's in your will they are obliged to follow your instructions surely Undecided
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

@gleneagles again, It happens some of our family (we're not) are very religious, who will take some talking round, one of them in particular has problems with the thought of cremations, which was our known choice.
This all came up several years ago when Mrs P was suffering her second major stroke, and I had been told by doctors (for the second time in three years) to expect the worst. The particular family member became quite upset to know cremations were our wishes.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I want to be buried at sea..... Apparently, any naval personnel, can request this....
However, My initial reasons were that my mother in law did not like me very much, and said she wanted to dance on my grave  Cheesy ( unfortunately, she died first ! )..
Community Veteran

I Am not religious either but if there is an afterlife  and a particular religion was correct in saying cremations were wrong then you would be accountable for having made that decision with no blame attached to your any member of your family.
Fixes: 121

Quote from: artmo
Quote from: Petlew

If it's in your will they are obliged to follow your instructions surely Undecided
Aren't wills traditionally read after the funeral Undecided
Much to my wife's consternation I told her not to waste money on a funeral for me. The cheapest she can manage will suffice with no bells and whistles. Any money she saves can be spent on getting her life back together and moving on. She's 20 years my junior.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

Quote from: shutter
I want to be buried at sea..... Apparently, any naval personnel, can request this....
However, My initial reasons were that my mother in law did not like me very much, and said she wanted to dance on my grave  Cheesy ( unfortunately, she died first ! )..
I Fancy one of those viking funerals where they push you out to sea in a burning boat, doubt I will get that.