cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cost of Magazines.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Cost of Magazines.

Must be my age but I think the cost of  some Magazines is way over the top.
At one time I subscribed to several, all well below a fiver but today some of these are priced at £6.99
If they were full of new information they might be worth it but by the time the adverts, items for sale, readers letters etc are removed you are often left with a few basic topics which are covered in as much or more detail in a Book on the same subject which would cost little more than what the magazines want.
If you don't agree with this put it down to my age !!  Smiley
10 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Re: Cost of Magazines.

I used to get several pc type mags, but gave up when they all started doing the same "reviews", either the same month or the following month, as you said once you remove the adds there is not a lot left. There were no "real" articles just reviews or simple howto's. Lack of money and disinterest forced me to stop getting any. I have a glance through them occasionally but there is never anything you can't get for free onlne in them anyway now.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Used to buy occasional photo mags and you're right about product reviews. More often than not they are word for word identical to those found on review websites. In fact if you go to the manufactures web sites for product descriptions you will find their descriptions are identical to those found in expensive mags...for free!!
Moral; if you're looking for some new photo kit, don't bother with mags for advice.
Reason; mags derive much of their income from from kit manufactures, so are unlikely to tell you "how it really is" not if they want to stay in business.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
MJN
Aspiring Pro

The main reason for the price increase over the years is that with advertising revenue representing the majority of funding, yet the readership figures dropping significantly, the cover price has had to increase to offset the reduced price those advertisers are now willing to pay.
Mathew
Community Veteran

Quote from: Hairy
once you remove the adds there is not a lot left

The last time I bought a PC mag, many years ago, it was for the ads. Just to get a handle on current prices.
As you say take away the ads and all that's left is something the size of what gets dropped through your letterbox for free.
Community Veteran

I've stopped buying magazines.  Used to buy them and found I never read them, so what's the point Wink
Community Veteran

Speaking of the cost of magazines; did you spot this article in the Mail this week about the Sovereign of The Seas model building part-work mag that would cost in excess of £800 to complete and take longer than it did to build the real thing.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2197330/Magazine-warship-takes-longer-build-real-thing--cost...
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Fixes: 125

Back in the 80's and early 90's I subscribed to every Acorn/BBC computer magazine. There was a wealth of information and I rarely found features repeated between magazines.
There was a sense of excitement at typing in the program listings and finding they worked - occasionally the first time. Hints, tips, problems, etc were a joy to read as this information wasn't exactly easy to obtain elsewhere.
Now I find most PC magazines to be bland and, as others have said, strip out the ads there's not much left.
However, I still subscribe to 2, why? Because I still like to have a magazine to physically pick up and read while relaxing on the sofa.
I must say that each time the subscription is up for renewal it is harder to justify its continuation.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Ah the glory days of the Byte Magazine. American and packed with interesting articles, but that was about 20 years ago. A new publisher took over then the magazine fell apart.

edit:small typo corrected
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

Another casualty of the internet I think.  There's nothing in the magazines that you can't find by a quick google.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Quote from: Mav
Because I still like to have a magazine to physically pick up and read while relaxing on the sofa.

I still subscribe to the Economist. Wanderlust and the New Statesman for that reason, (but include Breakfast table, armchair, in bed).
I don't buy in the newsagents anymore, they come with the post.
Subscribing to the Economist does allow me to 'see' past the online pay-wall