Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Cost of Euro mobile roaming falls

Hi All
Just seen this:
[quote="BBC"]
Cost of Euro mobile roaming falls
The cost of making and receiving mobile phone calls while travelling in Europe has come down again.
From today, operators cannot charge more than 32p per minute (plus VAT) for outgoing calls, and 10p per minute (plus VAT) for incoming calls.
The new tariffs are the latest in a series of annual price reductions forced on the mobile industry by the European Commission.
Brussels has said it aims to equalise roaming and domestic charges by 2015.
Price regulation was introduced in 2007 by the then commissioner for information society and media, Viviane Reding.
Read More Here
8 REPLIES
nadger
Rising Star

Re: Cost of Euro mobile roaming falls

Just checked text I got in France during May.
The figures then were £0.38/min to make and £0.15/min to receive with texts £0.10.
Community Veteran

If you are away for any length of time then some providers offer special packages.
Fixes: 125

I still think the cheapest way forward is to take an unlocked phone and buy a local SIM card. I do this everytime I go to Ukraine - calls to/from there are even more prohibitivey expensive.
Don't know how that would work for data rates Undecided

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

Quote from: Mav
I still think the cheapest way forward is to take an unlocked phone and buy a local SIM card.

@Mav:- Agree with you there, just email everybody with 'your new local number', trick is to go with an ISP whose sim card does not require 'topping up' after 3 or 6 months.
Community Veteran

Up until very recently I got free texts from O2 whilst abroad.  They 'charged' me for 4 text messages but as I was on unlimited texts it didn't matter.  Unfortunately my new contract with them doesn't allow me to do this.  When I'm in the US I'll buy a package of texts from AT&T which are very cheap.  I also get a small free monthly allowance from O2 on their website.
Fixes: 125

One other thing, call me miserly if you like Grin, I have permanately disabled voicemail. It was OK when T-Mobile offered free voicemail calls (not when abroad, anyway) but I refuse to pay to listen to any messages.
Now if there is an Android app that can take messages for free...

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

itsme
Grafter

Voicemail when abroad can get very expensive. A few years ago when calls incoming and outgoing where around £1 per minute with a minute minimum charge I racked up £70 just on missed call. As each missed call is charge as a incoming and outgoing call it wast nearly £2 for each missed. I left my phoned in the hotel room when having breakfast and my friend repeatedly phoned, leaving only a few seconds between calls, about eight times, so that was £16 alone.  Cry
This spurred me on to see if I could extend the ringing time as by default it's 15 seconds and when skiing by the time you have heard the phone through the layers of clothing  and got it out more than 15 seconds have gone. Found you can extend so now it's 30 second which I believe is the maximum.
Community Veteran

When I'm working in South Africa I buy a local sim for a spare mobile phone.  If I'm expecting to be out there more than a couple of weeks I rent an 0800 number (south african) which is then redirected back to base in the UK. I then redirect my land line (vonage) to the new temporary south african mobile phone number. When I need to talk to the UK office I either use VOIP or I call the 0800 number from the mobile phone.  It saves me loads of money.
You can't always get fast internet down there, but the mobile phone signal is pretty much ubiquitous.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.