Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cost of BT line rental

mrmarkus1981
Grafter

Cost of BT line rental

Hi all.
I was round visiting my mother on Saturday morning and she told me she was looking to combine her broadband and phone into 1 supplier. She went on to tell me that she is paying Orange £20 p/m, and BT a whopping £50 p/m. I said that cant be right but she assured me thats what it costs her. She also said that that fee is for line rental + free evengin and weekend calls.
Now, i have NEVER come across line rental this steep, i think its a case of not being bothered to change suppliers in 10-15-20 years, so even though the basic package now probably costs £11 they are still fleecing her for £50.
Needless to say, i demanded she request a MAC from Orange (which she did!) and showed her the Plusnet Value Broadband + Line Rental + Free evening & Weekend Calls. She was happy (to say the least) that a £70 p/m bill will soon be dropping to around £25 p/m.
11 REPLIES
Fixes: 104

Re: Cost of BT line rental

Sure the 50 isn't per quarter? standard line rental is about 12.50 if you don't pay by direct debit and have paperless billing.
Mine's about 17/18 a month including the anytime calling plan.
Will Moderate For Thanks
mrmarkus1981
Grafter

Will double check with her, but she was adament that it was £50 per month, she it getting a bit ditsy mind you  Crazy
N/A

I pay BT £15.20 per month and all calls inclusive at any time of day or night including 0845 and 0870. Also get caller display free as part of privacy package. Just have to make two charged-for calls per month. If I haven't done this I just telephone my mobile, answer it and put it down.
It was one of those special offers HERE  that you have to search for on the site. Currently it is £1 off per month bringing it to £15.53 as far as I can see (paperless billing of course).
Mine comes up for renewal next month so am waiting to see what they will do - hopefully renew it.
WildRose52
Grafter

User deleted.
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: WildRose52

NO OTHER utility was demanding 3 months up front...  in fact elect and gas
run 3 months in arrears.

BT have always worked with 3 months in advance, it's only been a decade or so where a monthy option has been offered. Does it make any difference if you pay in advance or arrears? The cost is still the same.
community
Grafter

There IS a difference!
How many businesses take your money 3 months inadvance?
With your money in advance, they can generate a lot of interest on YOUR money.
Shall I hazard a guess at £27,5million? (20million customers x £27.50 x 5%)
<waits for maths genii to correct>
Do you remember Lord Weinstock of GEC who banked all the takings of his company overnight?
itsme
Grafter

Local governments, water rates and these are paid six months in advanced.
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: community
There IS a difference!
How many businesses take your money 3 months inadvance?
With your money in advance, they can generate a lot of interest on YOUR money.
Shall I hazard a guess at £27,5million? (20million customers x £27.50 x 5%)
<waits for maths genii to correct>

Your figure is incorrect. If you based paying in arrears then the first month it's interest on the full 3 months, the second month it's interest on 2 month rental and the 3rd month interest on only one month rental. If you accept that paying a month in advance, like most mobile suppliers do. Then BT quarterly payments interest workout at 2 months rental interest on the first month and 1 month inerest on the second month and no interest on the third month.
community
Grafter

There! you fell into my trap!
My point is that they make MANY MILLIONS out of their customers  Tongue
itsme
Grafter

You are assuming that they will be earning interest.
If BT are earning interest then you stop this stream of income what will happen, will they increase the charges to make it up?
community
Grafter

Yes, the trouble with BT is that they are a monopole on land lines.