Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Corporal Punishment

LordFox
Rising Star

Re: Corporal Punishment

@nadger wrote:

I recall getting cane, across rear, at grammar school around 1950.

Reason - climbing over wall into next door girl's school Thumbs_Up

In my primary school the boys and girls sat on opposite sides of the classroom. The lowest level punishment (for instance for talking)  for the boys was to have to sit with the girls. It was seen as degrading I guess.

I pretty much always made sure to misbehave just enough to have to sit with the girls. I genuinely saw it as a reward - I was far more interested in getting up close to a few of them in particular (Nicola especially, I still remember her smell) than I was in sitting with the lads! ...and I got few kudos from the lads for being a bit of a rebel.

---

Having taught in a secondary school for very 'bad' boys, ones excluded from normal schools, I have a little experience in the matter.

We were able to manage their behavior, mostly, by sheer force of numbers of staff and well structured rules and responses. That, and being trained to and allowed to physically restrain them when necessary. It was often a close call though and resorting to calling the police was not uncommon. I would hate to work in a normal school environment, with even just one of our pupils in the class. I would also comment that some of the management were far worse than the worst of the pupils we had!

I really don't know if I would go along with reintroducing corporal punishment for children, given my own experiences both as a pupil and teacher. Mostly, the experience of other adults who shouldn't be allowed anywhere near children and certainly not trusted to be able to administer punishment. I don't think I would, overall.

Another point is that many of our pupils were badly abused by parents/carers to begin with. The last thing they needed was more of the same at school. For some of them, our school became a safe haven,

---

However, I probably would support corporal punishment for 'adults', for some (especially violent) minor crimes. I think that would be more of a deterrent than yet another civil penalty or metaphorical slap on the wrist. I still would find it very hard to trust those handing out the sentences though.

My experience of people just hasn't been very good, I guess, and I had a strong church-based upbringing!

nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

@LordFox

of course you can implement psychometric testing to ensure that those appointed as disciplinarian are actually suited to the job, and do regular check-ups to ensure they haven't started getting a kick out of it...

and yes I get that some folks are actually abused outside of school but abnormal behaviours is generally a sign of that and properly trained staff in school can spot this and do something about it even if that means referral to a housing unit where they can be granted the care required to make them less abnormal compared to others, and hell even subjkecting their abuser to some retributive justice as well (and if its molestation then a hanging would suit) 

right now in my youngest's school there's a lad who's got 14 asbo's flips the teachers off constantly, gets suspended every week is too disruptive to be allowed in any class and is permanently in segregation on the days he's allowed to attend and he doesn't give two figs about it indeed he was bragging that he's going to be home schooled because none of the secondary's will have him which means in his head he's won.... 

a couple of whacks with the cain a few years back would likely of tuned him in to reality and prevented his deteriation down the slippery slope, and his case is pretty extreme i'll grant and stems from having a pair of mental cases for parents and no positive role models (they are both under psychiatric care with periods of inpatient cover for different things) and his problems started as their relationship went off the rails..... 

he doesn't understand yet but he's the only one that's loosing out and on some days his dad even understands this but unfortunately his lucidity isn't at its best and he's the primary carer..... yet the kid is a prime candidate for borstal regime which could indeed straighten him right out and let him lead a productive adult life, instead he's going to follow down the pathway more than half his adult siblings followed into drugs and prison.... 

his case isn't unique just the worst local example in his year group (at last report 32 kids in the school had at least one asbo, and at least 10 days of suspension for disruptive behaviour) and were not even in a deprived area.... the push to fix this rising epidemic of criminal youths isn't to fix the problem or treat the symptoms but for the CPS to stop prosecuting them ....

bring back corporal punishment and the problem will fix itself in short order, even if you have to regulate who's doing what when where and how, all that means is more jobs and better standards for the country and better opportunities provided for all 

just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

@gleneagles wrote:

Most people you speak to say things like,' It did me no harm' and I am not aware of anyones life being damaged by legitimate use of corporal punishment at the time it was legal.

I used to get the wooden spoon across my backside in the 80s and it did harm me mentally. Why did I get it? because I was being bullied at school and struggling to keep up with the other kids. That in a CofE school that was strangely quite accepting of bullying and very unsupportive of any pupil that was suffering it. We were seen as "problem children" rather than children who needed help. One teacher deliberately made life as hard as she could for me. At the age of 9 I cracked and broke down unable to cope with life any further. I did get over it as many determined kids do and for a year or so life did pick up a little but it soon went downhill again once my parent had a chance to make it grim for me once more.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
AlaricAdair
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

I had a spell where I was bullied at secondary school. It was dealt with by the Headmaster after I was almost pushed down some stairs. I was able to reward the bully later in life when he was in front of me seeking a job which would have been a promotion for him.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

With unacceptable numbers of pupils leaving school functionally illiterate, I would guess that not being able to read well would lead to them not being able to follow what was being taught, and becoming disruptive in class.  At the other end of the scale there are very bright pupils who are held back by an education system that frowns upon intellectual achievement; everyone has to be equal in every way these days.

Many years ago I remember a friend's child being disruptive in primary school despite seeming to be of at least average intelligence.  He eventually got tested by an educational psychologist and found to be exceptionally bright, so the work he was asked to do at school did not present enough of a challenge and bored him, causing him to act out.

chenks76
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

@AlaricAdair wrote:

I was able to reward the bully later in life when he was in front of me seeking a job which would have been a promotion for him.

what would you have done if he was the best person for the job? (assuming he wasn't already).
put personal grudges ahead of what's best for the company?

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

My thoughts also, as well as @AlaricAdair [himself] being a bully in later life when he should have known better?

Always better to leave bitterness behind.

Truth is like a threshing machine; tender sensibilities must keep out of the way.
Herman Melville
AlaricAdair
Community Veteran

Lol, the guy was still an [-Censored-] at the interview.

Edit: I'm shocked the Censor filter caught Medlar Tree Fruit

Mav
Fixes: 436

A saying I try to keep in mind when faced with similar situations:

When seeking revenge, first dig two graves. Confucius,

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

AlaricAdair
Community Veteran

Or as my Glaswegian boss used to tell me.  Save a grudge and nurture it until you need it.

Steve
Seasoned Pro

A Glasgow KissKnuppel

If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
2u2me
Pro
Fixes: 2

Revenge is sweet.... like a deep fried mars bar. 

twocvbloke
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I've never tried a deep-fried Mars bar, I've seen one, looked more like a steaming lump of excrement, literally... Shocked

Steve
Seasoned Pro

Never tried one either. Some things should be left alone. This is one of them. As bad as haggis in a tin!
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

Tried fried ice cream at a very ordinary restaurant in Belgium and was very disappointed.