Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Corporal Punishment

AlaricAdair
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Re: Corporal Punishment

I went to a grammer school didn't I. No caning, but the English Master, Mr Robertson, was the school equivalent of a sniper with his chalk board rubber. This missile was a six piece of oak with coiled felt ribbon on the dust side. If one of the pupils deigned to have an essential conversation with the boy behind them during the English lesson they could expect to have Mr Robertson's duster bouncing off their head in a cloud of chalk dust.

ps: my spelling is my delayed revenge on Mr Robertson.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

You do wonder if poor teaching was subsidised by their authority to physically punish.

The one I wrote about earlier who would 'wet his pants' when caning, usually spent the entire lesson writing on a three section blackboard which we would then have to copy down as quick as we could before he got back to the first section and rubbed it out. Others would just put the school radio on for us to listen and then go off for a sly smoke or whatever and expect the class to remain quiet, composed and attentive in his absence. Never happened of course.  

I have no recollection of 'good' teachers resorting to such methods although I'm sure that no matter how proficient and engaging they might be there will always be those little snots in class that would drive even an angel to murder. My eldest is now an experienced teacher (we used to call her little Miss Bossy Boots as a kid) but even she has been driven to distraction at times despite being a no nonsense type of person and dare I say it, damn good at her job.

Now of course such kids are deemed to have 'issues' and schools are obliged within their budget to facilitate one-to-one teaching for the little tykes. 

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
Thomas A. Edison
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

I went to public school Thumbs_Up odd at first but you got used to being away from home .

Punishment was either the cane or the Pump ,,, it did you no harm in the long run and is what is missing from todays schools !.

I still remember the house master Mr Parker ,  only just over 5 foot used to do a run and jump before striking the cane on your **** Smiley  funny as hell now i remember

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

Nearest to that were the years I spent in a boys home, and never 'got used to it'.

Once beaten from pillar to post by the house master for back answering his little madam of a daughter. Terrible times with the terrible people in the wrong bloody job.

Did it do me any harm? Well it never did me in good that's for sure.

Thomas A. Edison
chenks76
Community Veteran

for those that say "It did me no harm".
do you think that, rather than stopping it once leaving childhood, it should continue thru life?

so if you make a mistake at work you should get beaten?
or is this simply a "we can do what we want to children" mentality, but daren't do it to adults in case they retaliate?
Steve
Seasoned Pro

@nadger wrote:

I recall getting cane, across rear, at grammar school around 1950.

Reason - climbing over wall into next door girl's school Thumbs_Up

The secondary school I went to in the 80s had two different playgrounds. One for the boys and one for the girls with a great big wall keeping us apart. Never bothered to climb it, there must of been a really nice girl there you fancied ?

If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
Strat
Fixes: 515

I received the cane, 1 whack on each hand, each Wednesday afternoon for a few weeks for forgetting to do my Technical Drawing homework.

It neither did me any harm nor help me with remembering my Tech Drawing homework.

It didn't help me with my football skills either even though, during the last few weeks before the GCE exams I and another boy were sent on the field to kick a ball around while the rest of the class revised.

I took and passed the Technical Drawing examination Thumbs_Up

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 90.0.2 (64-bit)

To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
rongtw
Seasoned Hero

@chenks76  Problem is that there is NO deterrent !  so school kids do what they want

and it wont hurt some of the little scrots the schools chuck out now , they need to learn some respect .

And when they leave school they just carry on regardless , they learn more french words at school than we ever did

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

@chenks76 wrote:
for those that say "It did me no harm".
do you think that, rather than stopping it once leaving childhood, it should continue thru life?

so if you make a mistake at work you should get beaten?
or is this simply a "we can do what we want to children" mentality, but daren't do it to adults in case they retaliate?

no I fully believe that public floggings should be brought back as well as time in the stocks for d&d, back when folks feared getting shamed they refrained from going balls to the wall stupid, getting 10 lashes for non violent petty theft was a better deterrent than free room and board has ever been .....

just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Mav
Fixes: 436

We had a few teachers who simply just commanded respect and several who, through their use of corporal punishment, got the same respect. When the deputy head walked into a room there was always immediate silence. Of course some respect was admiration and some a fear but it worked.

Some teachers come up with ingenious forms of punishment like drawing a dot on the blackboard where the pupil was expected to place his nose while on tiptoe for several minutes. If he failed then the cane was used.

There was a well-known story about the PE teacher who was known as 'Chief' - a strict but fair man. One day the schools' inspector was visiting and popped into the gym where he saw the children running, climbing and generally making a lot of noise. He commented that the instructor obviously had no control on the children. Chief let out a shrill whistle at which point every child stood absolutely still and in silence. The inspector left.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@Mav

Organised chaos? Smiley 

Thomas A. Edison
Mav
Fixes: 436

AbsolutelyWink

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@nanotm

You would put people in the stocks for playing dungeons and dragons?

Sounds fair enough to me. 

Thomas A. Edison
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

@Minivanman

that too but I was referring to drunk and disorderly,

although to be fair if your not drunk your not going to be enjoying dungeons and dragons and your likely to get pretty disorderly when your loosing Tongue

just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

I was the eldest child in a large family and also have a number of younger cousins whom I watched growing up.  I don't remember being smacked but I'm pretty sure I must have been, because all the others got a smack on the hand from a parent or other closely related adult from time to time if they tried to do something dangerous, but only after fair warning.  We all have jobs that pay enough to give us a reasonable quality of life and as far as I know none of us has had as much as a parking ticket; so much for the claim that kids subjected to corporal punishment end up as violent criminals.