Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Coronavirus

Highlighted
Champion
Fixes: 12

Re: Coronavirus

@artmo wrote:

The banks were already in the process of lifting the amount and just announced it a little earlier to help in the current situation. I think £50 would have been a more sensible figure.

For those of us embracing the 21st century and using Apple/Google Pay there was already no upper limit (with a few exceptions as some retailers impose the contactless card limit on mobile payments too)

Highlighted
Fixes: 400

@artmo wrote:

The contactless limit on credit/debit cards is being raised from £30 to £45 from 1st April to help combat Coronavirus.

At least one food shop local to me has reduced the contactless limit to £20! Can't remember which one and I can't go out as I'm in the vulnerable list and am not going out.

Ironically I have been watching 'Not Going Out' recently😅

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Highlighted
Community Veteran

I understood the limit was set by the banks. I didn't know individual stores could set their own limit. Is this for standard bank cards?

Highlighted

I'm not sure which card was used as I wasn't with them.

When I set up Barclays Contactless through the app on my phone it did say that some stores can accept payments up to £100.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Highlighted
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 1

Prince Charles has been tested positive for virus. At Balmoral at the moment and at the moment only mild symptoms.

Highlighted
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 18

As if anyone could care less.

Had to laugh when the TV said he was "working at home"!

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Highlighted
All Star
Fixes: 4

@7up wrote: For those who can afford to lose it yes. What happens when the card is cloned and used several times in an hour? >More flexibility is the future - like allowing customers to set their own contactless limit per transaction / hour. Not exactly difficult to do from a programming POV.

Very true. But then the banks always seem to think its their money, not yours. The card that I have had recently replaced isn't contactless enabled. All you have to do is ask and they'll give you a chip and pin only card. Given the recent limit increase I find it rather funny that people don't like £50 notes but will quite happily put ALL their money in one card without any real protection whatsoever. And having watched people pay by contactless means I'm not totally convinced its any quicker to process.

As for contactless means of payment being safer than cash, I'm not convinced. Think about it. How many people sanitise the outside of food, cans, checkouts etc etc list is endless, as they shop. You really have no idea when it was last handled or by whom. You pick up a can with covid on the outside, handle your phone...contaminated. And not many clean their phone/card every hour. Total fantasy land.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

There used to be an HSBC cash machine near the office at work which would sometimes actually dispense £50 notes which was handy if I needed any.

I learnt the hard way I prefer using real money for places who do not take cards and for small amounts. Though cards are always handy to have if you run out of cash or need more.

Once when I was staying in Dublin, I lost my wallet which was as well having all my cards in it .. had €200 in cash in it as well. Yup very ouch that was, captial P as in painful. Was not happy at the time as you can imagine and very annoyed at myself at the time. Had to cancel all the cards and get new ones and was pretty certain the €200 was gone for good. Of course it all was.

Luckily I had left some of the cards at the hotel so I had means to withdraw cash using those after doing a money transfer from my main current account. I have a few bank accounts with the cards including my business account now when I had to use once when a cash machine I was using decided to reboot and keep the card, it being my main current account card. This was more recently and had to get a replacement leaving me with no main current account card so I had to use the business account for a while.

I don't usually give ideas, so bear with me here - but what I would now do is take one of your cards out with a bit of cash but nothing stupid like €200. If you do lose your wallet, then you have a backup account as you had left backup cards behind. Then worse case you write off a more moderate sum and have your backup account.

Highlighted
Community Veteran

"Big news" about Charles. But who did he catch it from?

I suppose all the staff / servants are under suspicion. The bum wiper must be top of the list.

Highlighted

@billnotben wrote:
The bum wiper must be top of the list.

I dare say they'll get to the bottom of it.😄

Highlighted
Community Veteran

I still send and receive various parcels as I still have to make money to eat regardless. But one thing I'm annoyed with is a parcel I sent last week seemed to have got stuck near the destination. It's only when I looked into the details I see that the person had requested that the carrier return to sender.

So I'm wondering why? I suppose it's virus concerns but I guess most people are like me now. When I get a parcel I simply open it, tip out the contents, throw the box / jiffy away, and then wash my hands. Figuring the contents are safe as they have been untouched for around a week.

Highlighted
Community Veteran

@Mav wrote:

they'll get to the bottom of it.😄

Cheeky.😀

Highlighted
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 49

Some good news 😎

Coronavirus: Off-licences added to list of 'essential' retailers

I must have been really bad in a previous life as this was my 3rd ISP in a row that used lithium.
Now you're stuck with me because my new ISP doesn't run a forum Cheesy
Highlighted
Community Veteran

The trouble is a lot of shops that can be open have decided not to.

Highlighted
Fixes: 442

Now we can get essentially drunk, drowning our sorrows in the process.

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 77.0.1 (64-bit)

Life is tough enough without adding Linux into the mix.