Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Coronavirus

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Re: Coronavirus

Are we going to develop vaccine for this virus given that there is no financial profit in doing so.

None of the big five pharma companies seem to be falling over themselves so what in the world is going to happen given that the only cure is isolation and treating the symptoms rather than the cause.

As for isolation sorry guys, but here in the wooly west of Wales is as good a place as any. 👵👴

Community Veteran

@Minivanman wrote:

Are we going to develop vaccine for this virus given that there is no financial profit in doing so.

Work has been going on for some weeks to develop a vaccine but this is not a quick process.

Just announced on BBC News that the UK has tested over 2500 people so far for the virus. Of these 9 showed positive of which one has already fully recovered.

wotsup
Seasoned Champion

Coronavirus already surpassed SARS in number killed ( SARS was 774 ) and number infected ( SARS was about 8000 )

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

Indeed they have @artmo but according to reports only the smaller companies seem to be doing so which is why progres is slow? 

Less expertise, less progress, more lives lost.

rEUnite
Rising Star

Ah, if only we all had your expertise in the field of vaccine development, @Minivanman

Community Veteran

@Minivanman We have a team of scientists working 24/7 on a vaccine. Just seen one of the team discussing it. He states human trials could start within a few months but a working vaccine will not be available until next year. In normal R&D a cure can take 7 years plus.

Jonpe
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 9

A vaccine for one of the previous flu viruses (swine or bird), or possibly both, was developed but the virus then subsided so hardly anyone was given the vaccine.  I suppose once a vaccine against this one is developed it could be included in this autumn's flu jab.

The WHO has given the virus the official scientific name COVID-19.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

Reading this morning (as you do) that China has reduced the number of deaths because of what they have called "double counting" - but can we trust them? Well given that I cannot even trust our own government, then absolutely not.

At my age I'm not that arsed if I catch it tomorrow and pop my clogs soon after, its others especially the youngsters that I concern me.

It is what it is, and let's just hope they find a vaccine before it mutates into another version of the virus.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

Panic over, the Trumpton Fire Brigade have been tasked with keeping us all safe in our beds... and when out shopping. 

😊

wotsup
Seasoned Champion

The average winter flu outbreaks ( mainly from China / Asia ) kill between 300,000 to 650,000 people worldwide pretty much every year according to stats, around 80,000 in USA alone.  So apart from not being classed as 'influenza' the coronavirus is not that bad so far.  Strange thing about Spanish Flu in 2018 / 19 was that its main victims were from the group who do not normally succumb to Flu,  which normally affects the very young or very old.

https://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=208914

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

Sobering thought. 😐

TeeGee
Pro

While self quarantined today (with an English cold probably transmitted by grandchildren) I checked annual deaths in China.

Average annual deaths in China total 8.5 million!  A few hundred elderly virus victims barely make a dent in that.

Seems another rampant variation of Project Fear to me. I am more concerned that Aldi have run out of cheap Ibuprofen!

Jonpe
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 9

@wotsup wrote:

Strange thing about Spanish Flu in 2018 / 19 was that its main victims were from the group who do not normally succumb to Flu,  which normally affects the very young or very old.

I take it you meant 1918/19 Spanish flu.  It is thought that the reason for the atypical age distribution of the fatalities from that flu was due to an overreaction of the immune system.  The immune system in young adults is naturally stronger than that of the very young and the elderly, therefore the effect of an overreaction would have more severe consequences.

@TeeGee "While self quarantined today (with an English cold ...)"

You should have an EU cold while you can still afford it, there may be a tariff on it from next year.

Community Veteran

Europe has had its first death from the virus. A man who returned from China has died in France.

rEUnite
Rising Star

According to this report, the person who died was a tourist rather than someone who had ‘returned from’ China.