cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Coronavirus

wotsup
Seasoned Champion

Coronavirus

Another nasty disease from China in the footsteps of SARS, a lot of these nasty viruses originate in China and Asia due to the close proximity of people and their pigs and chickens, very often in the same house - this gives viruses the chance to jump the animal / bird / human barrier.  Why don't they either suspend flights or at least set up quarantine places where travellers must stay for a few days,  with modern plane travel a virus can get all around the world in 24 hours, not enough time for symptoms to show...

When we lived in Sydney there was a place on the harbour entrance ( north head ) that you could visit where anyone wanting to enter the country was quarantined for months, now we think a quick check with infra red scanner or thermometer is enough - we really have lost the plot big time..

174 REPLIES 174
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: Coronavirus

Yay, another "We're all doomed" virus scare, well, start picking your noses and consuming those nuggets of nasal gold, cos that'll give your immune system a good boost... 😋

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

I started to worry about it when government spokesman said there was nothing to worry about following reports of that case in Seattle.

Meanwhile hundreds of millions are now on the move across China as they prepare to celebrate the Lunar New Year. What could possibly go wrong. 

@twocvbloke 

No "nasal gold" in my house, just a squirt of home made salt and bicarb solution. Works wonders when needed. 😛

Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

It's times like this i wish i had a house at the north pole where virus's don't tend to survive...

It does worry me how governments don't seem to take this seriously. We might dodge several bullets but at some time the over confidence of the worlds governments in not suspending air travel will be our downfall. They are pathetic idiots if they believe that discussion, rules and politics can stop an airborne virus from spreading. Total clueless idiots. I wonder how so many of them can live with themselves.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

No fear from me, viruses are a good way for dealing with the mess of a genepool the earth has at the moment, those who refuse to maintain their immune systems through being brought up in and overly-clean environment, through being an anti-vaxxer or from using all kinds of noxious anti-microbial "cleansers" on everything, well, they'll be stuffed, survival of the smartest after all, cos you can be fit as a fiddle but thick as mud & not make it... 😂

But the case in Seattle, well, that part of the US is filled with anti-vaxxers, so that's biting them in the bum already... 😋

wotsup
Seasoned Champion

It is frightening the way the stale air is blown around aircraft cabins,  less than 5% of fresh air is admitted to mix with used air.  Also due to the dryness of the cabin air the mucus that normally protects you in you nose dries out and becomes ineffective. One person with the virus sneezing on a plane is enough to infect everyone on board, but in fact most pathogens spread through hands and door handles and handrails are a prime spot to spread infection.  Authorities seem so laid back with these nasty diseases these days and wait too late to put effective controls in place.

wotsup
Seasoned Champion

@twocvbloke wrote:

well, start picking your noses and consuming those nuggets of nasal gold, cos that'll give your immune system a good boost... 😋

Most peoples noses contain a reservoir of MRSA ( golden staph ) - they routinely check people in hospital these days with a nasal swab.  That is why the Asian way of holding one nostril to blow you nose onto the pavement / floor / bus is so nasty... 

We are having diseases brought into this country that were basically wiped out - but in certain countries these diseases like TB are endemic,  when we emigrated to Australia we had to have al kinds of health checks - including blood tests and chest x-rays,  and you had to go to their nominated health centre not your own GP.   When you thing of the people who travel from third world countries into UK in the back of lorries and boats with absolutely no health checks it is no wonder all the conquered diseases are coming back..

Peope travel around the world much more than they ever used to,  and in such short timescales that they are in another country before any symptoms show, and some can be carriers and show no symptoms themselves. - and we are all living closer together in towns and cities..

I think governemnts are so laid back because of the existance of antibiotics and antviral drugs,  but they are a precious resource that are declining in effectiveness due to over-use,  forget global warming - the bugs will get us long before that does.

Community Veteran

@wotsup wrote:

forget global warming - the bugs will get us long before that does.

Some of us, evolution has a way of having the healthier types survive mass deaths after all... 😁

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

Unfortunately the older we get the less effective our immune system is.

As a youngster I would shake off most things (no jokes please 😛) but now just a sniff of a bug in the air and that's me out for the count!

wotsup
Seasoned Champion

@twocvbloke wrote:

Some of us, evolution has a way of having the healthier types survive mass deaths after all... 😁

It used to be the bugs we already knew that mutated - but now it is other peoples bugs from the other side of the world,  When the Spanish went to South America and British sailors went to Pacific Islands the diseases they carried caused massive numbers of deaths because the locals had no immunity against them, its no good becoming immune to a disease by dying,  although once you are dead you are pretty much immune to anything. What one person is immune to other may not be, and vicky-verky .. nobody is immune to everything ( unless as previously noted your are dead ).

Community Veteran

Problem with ye olde tymes and disease spreading was they didn't have the foggiest about how bacteria and viruses worked, were passed on or their mutations, and of course there was no quarantines to speak of, so that's how they killed people with disease so easily, these days it's all understood and can be controlled, but hoping that it'll be sorted by using antibiotics, which kill bacteria, that's just not going to work, immunity needs to be built, which comes through immunisation and those who build up a natural immunity, because they have healthy immune systems that can fight new invaders from being allowed to be exposed to things that could make them ill so the white blood cells can be prepared, the human body is very adaptive after all...

Even for "new" viruses, they're often mutated from something we've previously been exposed to, so a good set of white blood cells will be prepared to adapt and deal with it, those who have lived in sterile conditions, well, they're the first to go...

And yes, those who don't survive hold the ultimate cure, because death cures all that ails you!!! 😂

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

So much for nothing to worry about, the news t'night is talking about declaring a global emergency!

Jeepers. New virus, know nothing about it and "don't know what it can do" 

Community Veteran

Woohoo!!! Emergency situation!!! Just like SARS, Bird Flu (or were they the same thing?), Swine flu, MRSA, VRSA, etc. etc. etc.... 🤣

I wonder when the boys crying wolf will get a sore throat and shut up? 😂

jab1
Hero
Fixes: 20

@twocvbloke Maybe someone could give them an injection to prevent verbal poop?Wink

John
Marksfish
Pro
Fixes: 4

@wotsup wrote:

It is frightening the way the stale air is blown around aircraft cabins,  less than 5% of fresh air is admitted to mix with used air.  

And this is all due to the ban on smoking in aircraft. During the bad old days of smoking up the back, fresh air was pumped into the cabin. Now it has stopped, bleed air from the engines is used and it is also recirculated around.