cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Coronation Street

valart
Grafter

Coronation Street

After watching the death of Haley in Coronation Street one might had thought that Peter Cushing would be laying beside her in bed,it was more like the Hammer House of Horror and when she said her goodbyes as if she was going on holiday.I do not find it entertaining with all the doom and gloom going on in the world.
6 REPLIES
RichAllen
Grafter

Re: Coronation Street

The storyline writers have the full support of McMillian cancer charity, and has raised the issue of assisted suicide in the media, there was a debate in the Daily Fail the other week about it and in one of the other papers as well.
Community Veteran

@valart, I agree with you. I don't think this is an appropriate subject for a soap opera. It was shown before the 9pm watershed which was also wrong. The Samaritans were against the scene as they feared it could lead to copycat suicides. Anything for ratings I guess.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

It seems that Emmerdale has committed suicide tonight.... Korry has been put on in it`s place.  Cry Cry Cry 
I suppose I shall just have to stay on the forum for that period, and rack up some more post counts...  Cheesy
Fixes: 125

I thought the suicide was done tastefully (if it can be done that way) but agree with artmo that it wasn't appropriate at that time of the evening. Not because of copycat suicides but because many youngsters who may not fully understand the implication of Hayley's action and could have questions that go unanswered.
But it wasn't assisted suicide anyway. Plus it had been done years before in Eastenders and more recently in Emmerdale.
I'd rather be entertained by these 'soaps' and if I want to be educated I'd rather it be via a documentary.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Fixes: 47

With the old CRT I used to be able to throw the remote through the screen when Corrie or Distenders came on.
Now with a flat panel screen the remote just bounces off so I have to fumble for the Off button.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

I thought the story was done well and I couldn't help shedding a tear. But every sad scene on tv has that effect on me lately.
The scene that really struck a cord with me, and had me blubbing, was the one where Roy had to pick up and carry Hayley.