Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cordless Lawn Mower anyone?

Highlighted
All Star
Fixes: 5

Re: Cordless Lawn Mower anyone?

@nozzer Nice looking mower (looks very much like the electric corded mower I have). My biggest gripe about battery anything is how soon they tend to go down and you end up wanting a new battery. Mowers would be worse than a lot of equipment as for about 5 months it don't tend to get used. One reason, at home, I've started going the other way - corded. Much cheaper over the years and always works flat out!

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
Highlighted
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Once you get on a manufacturers battery platform its then cheaper to add more tools as & when you need them.

I've got a few bits of Makita 18 volt LXT battery powered kit I use at work that all use the same battery.

IIRC Ryobi where the first to make this battery sharing practice popular with there One + range & other manufacturers have now jumped on the band wagon.

If you can try & start with a high Ah capacity battery as you will get a longer run time.
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 38

@Mook   Thought I would try and help... so I did a search on "Tool Store" sight...

when I started to type , in their search box,  it showed "cordless lawnmower"... and then proceeded to search...

here is a pic of the first items found.......

CORDLESS LAWNMOWER.png

Didn`t know the did "corded" masonry drills... ! !      Roll_eyes  but these cordless one`s look o.k...  Cheesy

Highlighted
Seasoned Pro

Thanks for that @shutter, I think this type of 'cordless lawn mower' work like an Archimedes Screw that wrap the grass around the thread and pulls it apart from the stalk, but I guess you need to buy the motor separately.

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

@Champnet 

@Champnet wrote:

@nozzer  Do you have the optional multi mulch plate ? Looks impressive - if it works....

I do but it's not the best thing in the world. The grass doesn't have to be too long or too wet, otherwise it just sticks to the plate. I don't use it any more. Too much hassle. 

Highlighted
Community Veteran

@idonno wrote:

@nozzer Nice looking mower (looks very much like the electric corded mower I have). My biggest gripe about battery anything is how soon they tend to go down and you end up wanting a new battery. Mowers would be worse than a lot of equipment as for about 5 months it don't tend to get used. One reason, at home, I've started going the other way - corded. Much cheaper over the years and always works flat out!

Well, after five years of usage the battery has never let me down. In fact I would say that its capacity hasn't altered much. 

Highlighted
Seasoned Champion

We had a Petrol engine powered Stiga mulching mower years ago ( did not have a grass box at all ),  had a blade with 2 angles and 2 cutting edges at each side of blade and it kind of blew / tossed the grass around and around under the mower and chopped it up really finely and put it back into the lawn,  saved an awful lot of money on lawn food ( every time you empty the grass collection box on a mower you are throwing away expensive lawn food ) as only fed lawn once a year in spring and then in autumn.   Problem was the amount of 'thatch' that ended up in the lawn and would literally stop the rain getting through ( as a good thatch should ) - so ended up having to aerate and scarify the lawns more often.  Our present Webb petrol mower has a grass box but you can remove the box and fit a deflector to make it mulch ( pretty much like the one Bosch do, it just closes off the tunnel to the grass collection box ),  tried it a few times but nowhere as near as good at chopping grass up as the Stiga due to having a 'normal' blade with only 1 cutting edge each side.   Another thing you learn is grass has to be pretty dry to mulch it properly otherwise you end up with wet grass compacted under the mower deck and big lumps of grass flying out .....

Highlighted
Seasoned Champion

@Mook wrote:

Thanks for that @shutter, I think this type of 'cordless lawn mower' work like an Archimedes Screw that wrap the grass around , but I guess you need to buy the motor separately.

You can use it with just a hammer, just use the metal rod with spirals around it to knock the grass roots back down into the soil, this lowers the roots which effectively reduces the amount of grass above ground, and also aerates the lawn at same time....

Just thinking outside the grass box...

They may describe the plain shank drills as cordless because a lot of the more heavy duty corded drills us the special SDS system ( although I see you can get battery drills with SDS system now - they still seem to prefer corded drills where you need real power for larger drills ).

Highlighted
All Star
Fixes: 5

@nozzer wrote: Well, after five years of usage the battery has never let me down. In fact I would say that its capacity hasn't altered much. 

That's good to hear. I've got a DeWalt SD drill that might has well be in the bin. Both batteries just don't fully recharge any more. 10 mins after coming off the charger they are as flat as a pancake. A snip of a price at £70 ea (seen them going for well over a hundred!). The new corded SD drill cost £55.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
Highlighted
Community Veteran

@idonno wrote:

A snip of a price at £70 ea (seen them going for well over a hundred!). The new corded SD drill cost £55.

And yet the cells inside could be had for less than £20, if you have a decent power soldering iron & some time, and the pack can actually be opened, it'd be cheaper to do a self-rebuild...

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I have a petrol one, but what the stations do, is they get funny is if you arrive without a motor.

Did that one, and because if I were to do something naugty and ran off without paying I had to pay in advance to fill up my petrol can. They can't ANPR your number plate or have any way of tracking you. Learnt that one, I had a quick conversation with them and I had to pay them in advance. I assume they just programmed the pump to shut off once I had used x amount of fuel.

Highlighted
Community Veteran

Never had to pay in advance myself at my local Esso station, just walk up to the pump, open the cans and off I go filling them, only buy once a year, using fuel stabiliser to keep it "fresh" and to deal with the ethanol poisoning, due buying some more this month, but haven't got round to it yet... 😁

Highlighted
Aspiring Pro

The older technology NiMH power tool batteries do suffer from memory effect & they hate periods of no use.

The newer lithium ion batteries are a hell of lot better for not losing capacity.
I know the Makita ones have a monitoring chip inside that talks to the charger & in the event of a faulty battery with under 2k charge cycles is sent in its usually swopped FOC after integrating the chip.
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Yeah I didn't realise petrol stations did that, but it seems they do.

If your car gets a marker put on it as not paying, it gets put on a database. I assume that is shared around.

Then the petrol stations will ANPR your reg and refuse to dispense fuel until you pay beforehand. I assume they can program the pumps to shut down after £x of fuel has been dispensed.

NO - I do not know this from personal experience (honest guv!) but I was at a petrol station once where someone was complaining that the pump wouldn't give them any fuel and I worked out why. (honest!).

Highlighted
Seasoned Champion

@PowerLee wrote:
The older technology NiMH power tool batteries do suffer from memory effect & they hate periods of no use.

The newer lithium ion batteries are a hell of lot better for not losing capacity.

Yeah,  Lithium chemistry batteries are actually stored at about 45% charge after manufacture for longest shelf life and leaving them fully charged actually damages them ( that is why Battery electric car makers trumpet the 'charges to 80% in X hours ) so anyone leaving their BEV on the drive hooked up to charger during present lockdown thinking they are doing the right thing are actually doing totally the wrong thing as far as battery lifetime is concerned..

Lead acid batteries on the other hand love to be left fully charged,  and get damaged if they sit below about 80% for any time.

So never fully charge Li-Ion batteries before putting mower away for winter,  let them sit half charged or less unless you use them for other things