Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cordless Lawn Mower anyone?

Highlighted
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 1

Cordless Lawn Mower anyone?

It looks like I need to buy myself a mower as the 'gardener' can't make it due to the restrictions. However, as I don't want a corded mower, as they are simply too tedious to use, it leaves me with petrol or a rechargeable one.

I'm keen on the idea of a rechargeable one due to the obvious advantages of charge, plug and cut, but the prices are quite eye watering and the availability of some like this one from my wish list is very limited.

So apart from suggesting I buy a scythe does anyone have any thoughts, recommendations or experience of these?

29 REPLIES 29
Highlighted
Pro

Re: Cordless Lawn Mower anyone?

How about one of these. Not ‘rechargeable’ as such, but certainly cordless.

0BA2CF58-CBB3-4213-9971-B90CFA07D19B.jpeg

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 38

No... not really....goats are  a poor second best....

You need one of these....  for a  "proper job"

sheep.jpeg

Made for the job ! ! ! !  Grin

Highlighted
Pro

Better in some ways, but less ‘efficient’, apparently:

According to this highly scientific animal mowers calculator, which we unquestioningly trust, 38 goats could mow 50,000 square feet of grass in one day. It would take 83 sheep to do the same, in part because goats are less scrupulous in the amount and quality of grass that they eat. According to the calculator, however, the most efficient animal is the cow – seven of them could easily demolish that area in a day – while the least efficient is, shockingly, the guinea pig, for which you’ll need 2,000.

See: https://modernfarmer.com/2014/07/sheep-better-lawn-mowers-goats/

Maybe a couple of thousand guinea pigs would be most fun?

Highlighted
Aspiring Pro

If I was going for a cordless mower I'd look at the Makita range due to 3 year warranty if you register online within 30 days.

The reason I'd pick Makita is I'm already on the 18 volt Makita LXT battery platform.

Be careful buying cordless tools online as a lot of manufacturers now offer body only options ( for people already on the manufacturers battery platform) & people not reading the description carefully do get caught out by this.
Highlighted
Seasoned Pro

@rEUnite wrote:

Maybe a couple of thousand guinea pigs would be most fun?

I like the sound of this but I'd need to buy a leaf collector for all the poo!

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 38

@Mook  No... just leave it on the lawn.... great natural fertilizer.... so ...eco friendly in another aspect..

mind you.. I think you might have a problem rounding them up every night and putting them in the shed for safety !

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Just be wary of any stray yorkshiremen... 😂

Highlighted
Community Veteran

I still use my old push mower occasionally. Does a fine job with no leads, batteries, or petrol. The first cut can be difficult but regular cutting after that is easy.

Unless you have a very large lawn of course.

Highlighted
Community Veteran

Highlighted
Seasoned Champion

Just be aware that because these cordless mowers can use standard power tool batteries they are sometimes offered without battery or charger by some sellers,  when you add £100 for 1 battery it is not so attractive.  have seen them sold with 2 batteries as well,  but one was a 4 A/h and the other 1.3 A/h or something small... you really need to read carefully what is offered by seller,  and if any doubt contact them and confirm.

Highlighted
Seasoned Pro

@nozzer's advice was testament enough for me to purchase the Bosch Rotek 43 but the one on my wish list is now out of stock! So I went fishing for one online and came across a website that appeared to have them, offering a free grass strimmer and two batteries. The batteries are like the ones @wotsup said, so what use the smaller one is I don't know. The free strimmer has had its cord cut out of the image so that it implies, to me at least, that its cordless which is a bit of a 💩ty selling tactic.

But regardless of that they too were out of stock, so I'll just have to wait. But if I wait too long I will need a scythe!

Highlighted
Community Veteran

@Mook 

If you don't want a free strimmer or small battery you can save yourself £50 from the same outlet. In stock at the time of posting.

https://www.justlawnmowers.co.uk/bosch-rotak-43-li-ergoflex-cordless-lawn-mower.html?wgu=276025_8574...

Highlighted
Seasoned Champion

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004I65FO8?tag=duc08-21&linkCode=osi&th=1&psc=1

The 1.3 A/h battery costs about £50,  half the price of the 4.0 A/h one ( shown on same page ),  but less than half the capacity.  This is why there will never be a universal battery for power tools ( they use different voltages and connections ) because the power tool and garden implement makers want people to 'stick with their brand'...  which makes sense if you already have some power tools from one maker with one type of battery to save money by buying other bits of their kit that uses same battery - but not buying a battery with everything.

Highlighted
All Star
Fixes: 4

@nozzer  Do you have the optional multi mulch plate ? Looks impressive - if it works....