cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cordcutters Club

Highlighted
Rising Star

Cordcutters Club

After cutting off ties with Sky (paying over £100 a month), I'm now with Plusnet and Freesat, and Apple TV and hopefully will be saving some money (or at least spending the same money in a different way!).

Things I've learned while cutting the cord from Sky:

• If I want to watch live Formula 1, I can do that with Now TV using a "day pass" for Sky Sports.  It's in standard definition, but better than nothing
  • Freesat doesn't do Channel 4 HD, so I need to stream Bake-Off on the Apple TV instead
  • Apple TV is better than I thought it was going to be - renting movies seem to be cheaper and it's good at blending together the different services (amazon, ITV Hub, All4, etc.) into one place so you don't have open different apps all the time
  • It's easy to overlook the cost and inconvenience of having to get your satellite dish swapped to the right LNB
  • I have to get used to watching stuff in SD more often
  • I have to educate my partner in how to switch to Apple TV and use it
  • I have to educate my partner in not hammering at Facebook while I'm trying to watch something that's streaming
  • I have to somehow buy a new TV because the old one doesn't support HDR

I'm only dipping my heels into the whole cordcutting thing here, so I'm keen to hear of other people's experiences and tips for how to get the best out of a non-Sky/Virgin world.

Pete
61 REPLIES 61
Highlighted
Fixes: 862

Re: Cordcutters Club

if you can get Fibre use a normal TV aerial rather than a satellite dish have a look at the YouView offering from PN too.

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Crunchie, welcome to the fora.

I’ve been thinking about getting an Apple TV device and your comments are interesting, are you in a position to provide some screen captures of the Apple TV's UI please?

Highlighted
Rising Star

I would have done, if I hadn't had my ariel chopped down many years ago.  I never had great reception with that thing anyway...

Pete
Highlighted

@Anonymous wrote:

I’ve been thinking about getting an Apple TV device 

Surprised you haven't got one already, it'll fit really well into your setup I think.

I've got the 4k one having had all the previous gens too.

I use one of the macs to host my media (blu ray rips etc.) and use infuse to stream to the apple tv.

Also use https://www.cheapcharts.info/charts to find good price for 4k movies in iTunes.

Customer / Moderator
Highlighted
Rising Star

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi Crunchie, welcome to the fora.

I’ve been thinking about getting an Apple TV device and your comments are interesting, are you in a position to provide some screen captures of the Apple TV's UI please?

Thanks for the welcome.  I could do, but I'm at home and the box is at home.

Plenty to see on the Apple TV site (link) and there's reviews on YouTube that shows the UI in action.  It does take a little getting used to and sometimes overwhelming in that it throws a lot of stuff at you right off the bat.  The voice search works well though.  The other good thing is that it doesn't force you into having to use an iPhone or Macs - it'll work with whatever you have (although having an iPhone is conveinent because you can send passwords for accounts easily without fumbling with the on-screen keyboard).

Pete
Highlighted
Pro
Fixes: 4

And I moan at paying Sky £21 per month Shocked

Highlighted
Rising Star

@dvorak wrote:

Also use https://www.cheapcharts.info/charts to find good price for 4k movies in iTunes.

The Apple TV will also (as far as I can tell) show you the cheapest across several services.  I have Amazon Prime, so the Apple TV will allow me to watch Prime (i.e. free) movies instead of being locked into iTunes.  And 4K on Amazon on the Apple TV is so much nicer to watch and use than the Amazon app on my Samsung TV.

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Post released from Spam Filter.

Pete
Highlighted
Rising Star

I was paying £56 a month for Sky Q (UHD TV, box-sets, formula 1), and $50 for phone/line rental/broadband

When I picked up the phone/broadband through plusnet, I opted for 12 months of line rental, saving me £2 a month.

But then I've spent £85 on getting the satellite dish sorted, £200 on a humax box, £200 on Apple TV box, so I'll start saving money later in the year.

Moderators Note: Full quote of preceding post removed as per Forum rules

Pete
Highlighted
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Never heard of Apple TV, going to have to check that one out. Thumbs_Up

As for Sky dishes they are fast becoming old hat and not before time as they have become a blot on the landscape - although I'm old enought to recall when they said that about television aerials and "oh look, they've got a funny UHF one!" 

Disconnected our dish way back now (left in place as next door still uses it) although I was only using it for freesat stuff. I put up a decent aerial and the rest comes into the house via fibre. Also dicthed my telephone line and went over to VoIP which was a real saving - and pay money to Murdoch? Not on you Nelly. 

So, £7.99 a month to Amazon, and 'piggy back' onto two of my daughters accounts for free Netflix and free Sky. 

PS. Welcome to the Forum! 

Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

I see games can be played on the TV device, so would I be able to play ‘The Room’ series on it? I’m asking as there’s no mention of it on the App store, it's not the end of the world but I'd be more inclined to buy if it did.

Highlighted
Rising Star

@Minivanman wrote:

Never heard of Apple TV, going to have to check that one out. Thumbs_Up

Thanks for the welcome!

You already stream a bunch of stuff, so you might not need an Apple TV.  I bought one because it seemed to offer a better, slicker way of doing this than the Freesat box.  The main Apple TV app itself can take content from a lot of different services and allow you to watch whatever is cheapest.  It saves you from having to open and close different apps.  It looks pretty slick as well.

I removed my ariel when I moved to Sky - it also stopped the pigeons from pooping into my back passage.

Pete
Highlighted

@Anonymous wrote:

I see games can be played on the TV device, so would I be able to play ‘The Room’ series on it? 

Just checked the App Store on it and it's not there, you can AirPlay from another device should you wish to though.

Customer / Moderator
Highlighted
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Did a search just out of curiosity and guess what came back - top of the list using Google search was Amazon with an advert for their Fire Stick!

What cheek, but what not a surprise.. Smiley

Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

@dvorak, excuse my stupidity but by this I'm assuming you mean I can 'cast' by iPad's screen to the TV, use the iPad to play the game but watching the game play on the TV?