Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cordcutters Club

RobPN
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 4

Re: Cordcutters Club

I thought they gave up on it before their contract ended due to cost-cutting?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 43

TBH @RobPN I don't know, I saw a conclusion and headed straight for it.

Champnet
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 2

At the time the BBC were outbid for the following seasons but decided to walk away from the current season....

Crunchie
Rising Star

I imagine a lot of this is down to the huge fees for the television transmission rights.  BBC and C4 have to weigh up whether it's worth paying those fees in the face of dwindling viewer ratings.

Pete
RobPN
Aspiring Hero

ISTR they also 'saved money' before their contract ended by only broadcasting approximately 50% of the races in full, the rest were just highlights.

Or was it only C4 which did that?  :undecided:

RobPN
Aspiring Hero

@Crunchie wrote:

...  BBC and C4 have to weigh up whether it's worth paying those fees in the face of dwindling viewer ratings.

I'd say the biggest factor in reduced viewer ratings for F1 was ceasing to show it on FTA TV.!

Not everyone can afford $ky and especially not for just F1.

Crunchie
Rising Star

I imagine that BBC/C4 looked at how many viewers were watching previous years and equated this against the cost-per-viewer for the fees demanded by FIA/Eccelstone/Liberty and reasoned that it was too high a price to pay to may economic sense.

Pete
Crunchie
Rising Star

The situation with the remote controls for the various boxes got a bit stupid.

The remote for the Freesay box doesn't have any way of swapping inputs on the TV so I need the TV remote to swap to the Apple TV or my Xbox.  The Freesat remote has different controls for STB and TV mode (you have to go to STB mode to get the guide up, and TV mode to change the volume, etc.).

I solved this by buying a Logitech Harmony remote and programming that.  Now everything works off the same remote and everything is far simpler.

Pete
Highlighted
RobPN
Aspiring Hero

F1 fans probably won't need reminding that next weekend is the British Grand Prix and as such is the only weekend this season that C4 will be showing the full qualifying and race as opposed to just the highlights.  :smiley:

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Oooh thanks @RobPN 

May have to watch that - although I have Sky which I hardly ever use. In fact I don't really watch much TV but on this occasion I should do :smiley:

Luzern
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 5

@Crunchie wrote:

The situation with the remote controls for the various boxes got a bit stupid.

The remote for the Freesay box doesn't have any way of swapping inputs on the TV so I need the TV remote to swap to the Apple TV or my Xbox.  The Freesat remote has different controls for STB and TV mode (you have to go to STB mode to get the guide up, and TV mode to change the volume, etc.).

I solved this by buying a Logitech Harmony remote and programming that.  Now everything works off the same remote and everything is far simpler.

And how often one finds that there's an orphan remote, or a gadget PSU, that can't be identified, but daren't be disposed of just in case it may fit something?

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Crunchie
Rising Star

@Luzern wrote:

And how often one finds that there's an orphan remote, or a gadget PSU, that can't be identified, but daren't be disposed of just in case it may fit something?

It's usually in my man-drawer.

Well, actually in one of my three man-drawers.  If anyone wants the remote to a Panasonic Video+ VCR player, I'm your man...

Pete
Minivanman
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 1

I'm just waiting for somebody to invent a remote control that when dropped, the battery cover does not fly off across the floor one way and the batteries the other.

Had an entire stacker box full of those cables and PSU's, so many in fact and so much of a tangle that I ended up throwing them all away. It was just one great big jungle of absolutely no idea.

Crunchie
Rising Star

Back when I was a kid, the remote control was a garden cane with an eraser sellotaped to the end.  Whoever was sitting closest to the TV got to use it.

Pete
Minivanman
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 1

Never had a remote when we were kids, in fact come to think of it we never had a TV for a long while and would go next door and watch their BBC only VHF telly.

Spam sandwiches and Muffin the Mule. 

Try that these days and they'd lock you up, or maybe not.