cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Copying Disks on a photocopier, and other stupid stories.

Community Veteran

Copying Disks on a photocopier, and other stupid stories.

Inspired by a couple of comments on an earlier thread I thought it might be fun to make a list of the daftest computer stories we have come across. You know the sort of thing, the user who thought the CD Tray was a drinks holder, tried to copy a disk on a photocopier etc...
I will start us off with a couple that I have personal knowledge of rather than just hearsay...
The first is from the 8 bit era.
A guy returns his tape of ‘Daily Thompson's Decathlon’ for the spectrum to a local games dealer and says it is faulty and won’t load.... It is replaced, later that day the guy returns it again as faulty. The shop keeper gives him a third, the guy rings up and says that one is faulty as well... The dealer feeling rather [Censored] off by now asks the customer to bring it in to the shop so they can test it.
The customer comes in and the shop owner points to the shop spectrum and says ‘Ok show me exactly what the problem is.... The punter puts the tape in the recorder starts it up, the loading bars appear, the game loading screen appears, and then about halfway through the program load the punter switches off the recorder, immediately a load error appears on the spectrum screen. “There he says, that is exactly how it fails’. The shop keeper looks agog and says ‘But you stopped the tape before the program finished loading!’
The Punter says affrontedly ‘But I only want to play the first event!’
The second is from the 16 bit era.
A punter has a copy of ‘Starglider’ for the Atari ST. The punter has noticed that after the game has finished loading that the disk light stays on and flickers the whole time that digitised speech is playing in game. Extremely concerned he rings the publishers help line and asks for help. Apparently he normally ejects disks after he has loaded games but with Starglider he is concerned that if he ejects the disk while the light is flickering that the ‘needle’ might scratch his disk!
13 REPLIES
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: Copying Disks on a photocopier, and other stupid stories.

Lots of amusing (allegedly true) tales of daft users and even dafter support people here.
http://www.techtales.com/techroom.html
I hope that English isn't the first language for some of the writers. A largish section of  the supposedly technically clever people don't seem to have got to grips with the language yet.
Community Veteran

Loombucket
Grafter

Ah, the lovely CD - one our most trenchant members.  She (yup, female) has been responsible for the invention of Zombie Goat Bukkake (don't ask) and her Miss Cry Baby series of stories is a "must read".
Another one well worth reading is The Coyote - one of our best American writers.  You can find his tales here:-
http://www.techcomedy.com/users/submitted_content.php?nick=The%20Coyote
I've been a TSC member for several years but I post there under a different nick.  Chilly knows who I am.  Wink
Community Veteran

Quote from: Loombucket
Zombie Goat Bukkake (don't ask)

Please, do not ask. Due to our rules we can not explain on these forums  Embarrassed
Quote from: Loombucket
Chilly knows who I am.   Wink

My lips are sealed  Wink
Plusnet Alumni (retired) orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Now that's a word I never expected to see on these forums...
geewizz
Grafter

Me neither.
Triathlon, yes, but not decathlon.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Email isn`t on the net.......  Roll eyes
I am trying to sort out a speed/wiring issue, and have to get Speed tests from BT every three hours, so I can have a record of what is happening....
As my wife also uses the same wireless connection to scour ebay for "bargains", and has her own email address.....
Yes.... you got it....
"can you stay off the net for a few minutes, while I do a speed test".....
Yes, Ok .  I`ll get my emails while your doing that then ! !....  Undecided Roll eyes Undecided
True story,  honest, guv  Cheesy  Cheesy
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 65

When I worked for Freeserve on their tech-support desk, I once had a potential punter call a (premium rate) tech support number to ask how to go about getting Internet access.
Upon explaining that they had a Freeserve CD I advised them that they should put this into their machine and follow the on screen prompts.
Caller: "What machine..?"
Me: "Your computer sir."
Caller: "I don't have a computer."
Me: "You don't have a computer?"
Caller: "No I'm in a phone box." (Bearing in mind the fact that this is a premium rate phone line!)
Me: "Err, you'll need a computer if you want to access the Internet.
Caller: "Oh, right."
The mind boggles, it really does! Shocked

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Community Veteran

Peace be with you Bob... Thanks for sharing that, excellent!
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Not that Strange, we have phone boxes around here with internet and e-mail access Cool
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

You`re lucky then Pierre, I can`t remember where the nearest phone box is to where I live !  Cool

Probably driven by it hundreds of times though!  Undecided
jmd
Grafter

They probably have all sorts of strange things in Essex..............................
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I cant remember when I last used one, but I do know directory enquires were free from call boxes (as they are on the internet free)