cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cookies what if you don't accept?

christmas
Aspiring Pro

Cookies what if you don't accept?

Many websites warn users they use cookies and provide the option to accept or manage, BUT what happens if the user wishes to enhance their experience by not clicking either option and continue to use the website?

One bank has the following pop up message....

Cookies consent

We have to collect some data while you use this website. We need this to make the site work, to keep it secure, and to comply with regulations.

We'd also like your consent to collect data while you use this website to help us:

• Study how people use our site and other services so we can improve them
  • Decide which of our products, services and offers may be relevant for you
  • Tailor the marketing you see on social media, apps and other websites.

Select Accept all if it's OK for us to use cookies.
Select Manage consents if you'd rather choose which types of cookies we use.

You can change your mind about this at any time. Just click the 'Cookies' link at the end of any page.

But the website can still be used and accounts accessed without clicking either option, I've not noticed the site not working because I have not selected either option.

24 REPLIES 24
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

Re: Cookies what if you don't accept?

@christmas wrote:

But the website can still be used and accounts accessed without clicking either option, I've not noticed the site not working because I have not selected either option.

Thats because the cookies have already been sent to your computer - before you've actually accepted them or managed them. Thats because they are sent in the reply headers of the http request. Politicians don't get that though.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
christmas
Aspiring Pro

That's what I suspected but isn't it now illegal to install cookies without permission of the user?

christmas
Aspiring Pro

Just had this on a website....

By continuing to browse, closing the banner or by clicking “Accept Cookies”, you agree to the storing of first and third-party cookies on your device to enhance site navigation, analyse site usage, and assist in our marketing efforts.

That sounds like, whatever you do we will install cookies on your computer anyway.

What is meant by 'browse', is viewing that one page regarded as browsing?

Pete11
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

@christmas wrote:

That's what I suspected but isn't it now illegal to install cookies without permission of the user?

It depends on where you are, but it's generally not illegal to use tracking cookies. In the EU it's not illegal to use tracking cookies as long as you have user consent, but that's only if your site is based there. They can't enforce tracking cookie legislation on systems outside of the EU.

And the other way to get your permission for cookies is to block access to a site, or, dull the site out unless you agree to accepting cookies. Of course, by agreeing, YOU made that choice. For me, the Cookie Law should be looked at again and altered. These laws are for countries in the EU, now, what happens if we leave? It's going to leave the Cookie Law wide open.

A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance.
Growing old is inevitable...But growing up is optional.
christmas
Aspiring Pro

It's presented as choice but is a form of blackmail....I doubt shoppers would accept being followed by someone with a clipboard and a note made of what they look at or buy, where they have been and where they go to.

I'd like to see a TV programme where they do that to shoppers and see how they reacted to having accepted being followed everywhere before being allowed to enter a shop.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

@Pete11 wrote: 

And the other way to get your permission for cookies is to block access to a site, or, dull the site out unless you agree to accepting cookies. Of course, by agreeing, YOU made that choice. For me, the Cookie Law should be looked at again and altered.

I agree. It needs looking at again. In effect what the EU have caused is a massive annoyance on every website with a huge great big pop up warning (often taking a while to load) and it's worse on smartphones. Then the GDPR thing... what a pain.

The EU without a doubt originally meant well and had good intentions but it's become a monster now and is causing more damage than it solves. So many websites are now a pain to use for simple things. You could once visit and get what you wanted easily. Now you either have to wait while the permission button pops up demanding you agree or else or you're forced to choose your preferences there and then - with lots of individual settings. It's driving me nuts. And what about those sites in the USA that opted to completely block EU users? Fine for a lot of the EU that speak their own language and have their own versions but for us british who speak english they have once again screwed us - just as they're trying to convince us to stay!

The whole EU ruling the internet thing is wrong.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
christmas
Aspiring Pro

I don't find the pop up warnings annoying, they act as a reminder as to what could be going on behind the scenes, look how Facebook is now spending millions to look ethical to its users.

Why do these companies feel compelled to collect so much personal data about people merely browsing their websites? I'd like the rules/laws go further and insist websites list the 'third parties' they our data to and why aren't we being paid for storing their cookies on our computers?

Did users of parenting advice site 'Emma's Diaries' know it was operated by a marketing company and their personal data was being sold onto third parties, including a political party by a rather strange route...

The ICO (Information Commissioner's Office) that Emma's Diary originally sold 1,065,200 records to a branch of credit reference agency Experian, specifically for use by Labour. 

Each record was said to contain the name of the parent who had joined Emma's Diary, their home address, whether children up to the age of five were present, the birth dates of the mother and children.

That sounds like a website set up as part of a phishing exercise.

Frederike Kaltheuner at campaign group Privacy International....

The industry is quite murky," she told the BBC, pointing out that consumers may - for example - see statements such as "data may be shared for marketing purposes" in all sorts of places but not realise the extent of how their personal information could be used.

I believe there could be an opening for ethical websites built on not exchanging personal data for additional income.

Jonpe
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 9

The EU also decided that if was anticompetitive for Microsoft to supply IE with Windows so my 2012 computer came with icons for about eight browsers on the desktop so I could choose.  Last year's purchase had IE11 and Edge installed with no mention of the others.  What happened there?

TheRoadCrew
Rising Star
Fixes: 5

@Jonpe wrote:

[...]What happened there?

The agreed five year period had come to an end.

Jonpe
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 9

So it takes computer literate people five years to realise that IE isn't the only browser? :laugh:  Well, there are still some who think The Post Office is the only telephone provider in the country. :sad:

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

People are generally getting a bit blasé with this continuous agreeing and button pressing.

So with that in mind could one of these buttons/links be made to lead to something not in the users best interest.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Well @7up I was going to type a response, but you pretty much beat me to it with your post.

I would have said the same things you just said (saves me a bit of typing though) :smiley:

Community Veteran
Fixes: 30

I like cookies.....   Chocolate chip one`s are the best though ! ..:cheesy:  to get back to the OP..

Some sites use a HUGE BANNER across the page, BULLYING  you to click on it, to get rid .... ( Plusnet is one such site)...  some sites use a more discreet approach... just across the middle of the page..  some use an even more "USER FRIENDLY" approach, and put it as a banner at the bottom of the page so you can ignore it if  you wish...  but my favourite one to click is this site...

https://www.tvguide.co.uk/?systemid=3&cTime=2/12/2014%207:00:00%20PM&thisTime=&thisDay=&catColor=

Which does give a large banner... but what I do like is  the choices...REJECT ALL or ACCEPT ALL... so I click on REJECT ALL...the site still works as it should.... 

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

The BBC is a good one. Narrow at the top and scrolls out the way with the page.