cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cookies and Plusnet

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Cookies and Plusnet

According to Plusnet I will get the best experience if I accept cookies from plusnet.
So what additional things am I likely to get ?
4 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Re: Cookies and Plusnet

you can have autologin for a start rather than having to put in your username and password every time
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Now that's odd as I can log in automatically already which suggests cookies are already enabled yet I get the message giving me an option to enable cookies.
Perhaps they have always been enabled and this is a standard message everyone gets ?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

They have always been enabled but I assume that if you don't click yes or no  it will keep asking as a cookie isn't set to say that you accept or don't accept cookies
I get this on websites where I have blocked cookies in Firefox and it can't set one to fix your preference
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: gleneagles
Now that's odd as I can log in automatically already which suggests cookies are already enabled yet I get the message giving me an option to enable cookies.
Perhaps they have always been enabled and this is a standard message everyone gets ?

I think its more to do with the advertising on the site. Whether or not you accept the cookie disclaimer won't stop a cookie being set on your computer since the page has already been sent by the webserver meaning the back end language won't be notified of this choice in time. What it does mean however is that if you click no, from that page on, the site doesn't have legal permission to send you the Set-Cookie header in its http reply headers.
I would imagine on the PN site, they're used for tracking what pages you visit, what links you click, what broadband packages you look at etc. Frankly though, it's a bit of a con from the Euro MPs because once the first cookie has been set on your first visit to the site, it's set for however long the page set its expiry for. Regardless of you clicking 'No' on any website, your browser will still automatically send that cookie back to the server with each new http request anyway. A website is unable to configure your browser to stop this. In other words, the euro prats got it completely wrong, didn't understand what they actually do and how they work, heard a rumour from someone somewhere and decided they had to act on a threat they knew nothing about which wasn't a threat at all  Crazy
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!