cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cooker door fell off, (repaired)

TORPC
Grafter

Cooker door fell off, (repaired)

On the door where the hinge slots in on the bottom left, is worn & caused the door to drop & be unusable upon closing the door
I could place the door back on the hinge & the same thing would happen every time I went to close the door
The best course of action was to swap the hinges to the Right hand side & upside down
Of course
It is not as simple as one thought
As I had to take the sides off to be able to move the threaded top hinge backplate for the top hinge as it dropped as I took the last screw out
The bottom hinge was unaffected & went straight on
The door catch & rubber stop, was a straight upside down swap
I think SWMBO will be Nagging enquiring about a new cooker sooner rather than later
I think it was also caused by SWMBO & co using the door as a get them up helper, which I witnessed a few times
6 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Re: Cooker door fell off, (repaired)

Did you see SWMBO is possession of a screwdriver shortly before the door detachment episode?
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
TORPC
Grafter

No
& there was no screwdriver required to create the "detachment episode"
The hinge is a steel round pin which the door sits over by an open C shaped slot (stretched by the amount that the plastic washer that the door assembly sits on to allow it to move now sits in the C shaped slot
It is the C shaped slot that got overstretched open & now refuses to keep the hinge pin in it's place
I could of possibly removed the glass panel & attempted to fix the C shaped slot, but decided that it may have weakened & wont be as efficient as once was
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

can you not get spares for your cooker off one of the many websites for home appliance spares (espares, 4ourhouse, etc) true its easier if you have a aprt number but often that can be gained from the appliance documentation (if you misplaced yours the website will probably offer a free pdf of it)  its how I have kept old but mostly working stuff on the road for years Smiley
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
TORPC
Grafter

Sure I could possibly order a new door frame
However I took the frugal & quickest option
However it would not of been here for Teatime & or Sunday Roast
P.S
Why spend money when there is no need to, when a simple swap of sides will suffice ?Huh
Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

I did the same to ours a few months back, it took us a little while to get used to opening it from the opposite though  Smiley
TORPC
Grafter

I think it may also take us a little while (more so me) as I do not use it as often Grin