Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cooker Hob Problems!!!

Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 5

Cooker Hob Problems!!!

Argh.  The oven on my cooker went bang a few months ago.  I've just sourced a Delonghi ESS602 Double Oven Electric Cooker.  While transporting it home (on it's side in the back of the car   Crazy) The glass on the hob fell off, and the ceramic plates fell out.  Nothings broken, and I've managed to put the ceramic plates back into position.  They sit on 2 metal bars, with springs underneath them, presumably to keep them snug with the glass top.  With great difficulty I got the glass top to sit back on while keeping the plates in place, though the plates are being pushed into the glass so it isn't staying in place.
Anyone got any suggestions on how I could secure it in place?
Everything is working ok other than that as I've had it on and given it a try!
Cheers
Phil
Edit: spelling!
19 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Cooker Hob Problems!!!

have a look to see if there's a way for the ceramic plates to hold down the springs so that the glass plate only rests on top.
guessing here.  i've never seen the innards of a ceramic hob.
Superuser
Superuser

I was looking for a way to hold the ceramic plates in initially and there was nothing obvious.  It looks like (to my totally untrained eye!) that it's the glass that holds the ceramic plates in position, and my problem is holding the glass in position.  I willing to be corrected if that isn't the case though!
Phil
Community Veteran

i'm flying blind on this one.  what is under the ceramic plates?  does it look like you put the plate on, then turn it a little to engage a notch that will hold down the screw?
could you post pix?
Superuser
Superuser

No problem artificer, thank you very much for your time and I much appreciate your posting.  I can't take a photo just at the moment as I'm at work now, will will try and draw a diagram in a bit.  Don't get to excited just yet though, wait till you've seen my graphics skills!
Phil
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Why not see if you can contact the manufacturer by telephone, email, or even pen and paper?  Alternatively, look for a good repair man, and see if he can help.....
There have been cases in the past where the glass top has exploded..... this might have been related to incorrect fitment after being removed by the "cleaner"....(or after it fell off in the back of the van )
Superuser
Superuser

Thanks Shutter.  I got the phone number for Delonghi last night and am going to give it a call today.  I was trying to avoid the cost of getting a repair man out, though if all else fails...!  From memory it's probably going to cost £50 for a call out on a repair man before he even arrives!
Phil
Community Veteran

Yeah! Know what you mean !!! especially if it is an "easy fix" job, that you could do yourself....      Undecided on the other hand, it would be better to "blame someone else" if it explodes because of bad fitting !!!  Cry
minkey
Grafter

Are you sure you have all the bits and some of the fittings haven't rolled off somewhere in your car?
It looks like the hob is a replaceable part (http://www.partmaster.co.uk/cgi-bin/product.pl?PID=954387) so it must be fixable to the base somehow.
Jeff
Superuser
Superuser

Interesting.  That looks like the entire assembly.  On mine the glass has come out of the metal frame.  I think the ceramic plates are attached to the bottom of that frame!  If it's not meant to come out separately, maybe some kind of heat resistant adhesive.
Many thanks
Phil
Community Veteran

Think a good scout around the back of the van is needed.....  and a callout charge of £50 to get it fixed properly is a lot cheaper than a new one at £400 !!!!!  Shocked
minkey
Grafter

I would say its a manufacturing defect, so I would be on the phone to Delonghi or the shop where I bought it from to get a new one.
Community Veteran

how's it going, phil, any joy?
Superuser
Superuser

I'll let you know tonight!  I put some heat resistant glue on last night, which is meant to be suitable for metal and glass.  I've left a nice heavy box on it over night, and I'll see what happens when we come to use it later!
Thanks
Phil
craigyoung
Grafter

PJ - not sure, but do you need one of these?
http://www.4delonghi.co.uk/cgi-bin/product.pl?PID=483503&query=Delonghi%20ESS602%20Seal&model=ESS602...
Looks like it is a seal to go round the glass to hold in place.  Maybe it was missing from the one you bought?