cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Convenience Clerk Wins $258 MILLION Lottery

Community Veteran

Convenience Clerk Wins $258 MILLION Lottery

This is nice. The guy seems to a geniune type, only had $30 in the bank when he won.
Staged video here http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=c38_1272051968
This is the story
On Friday, 29-year-old Chris Shaw became the winner of Powerball's jackpot of $258.5 dollars. He spent just $5 for the ticket at the Break Time convenience store where he works in Marshall, Mo., and couldn't believe it. When he checked the numbers while holding his girlfriend's hand, he nearly went into shock.
"I was like, 'Oh holy Moses! Something's happened here, I've got something here," Shaw said after being announced the winner.
He was down to less than $30 in his bank account and faced a pile of bills.
"Gonna pay of some debts first, that's the first thing. Got some electric bills, gas bills, stuff like that. I'm just a regular guy working paycheck to paycheck," he said.
Shaw said he rarely buys a lottery ticket, but decided to go for it after his shift ended when the jackpot grew to the largest in state history. He let "quick pick" choose the numbers, and bought the ticket from co-worker Natasha Woody.
"He told me if he won, he'd give me $2 million, and needless to say he did win and if it does happen that would be wonderful, if it don't I'm still really happy for him," she said.
Shaw described what it felt like when he realized he was the winner: "At first you just hope you're not going to die of a heart attack, you just start shaking all over, just trying to hold onto everything, because it's like this ain't real."
While his bank account will soon be overflowing, Shaw said not everything will be changing in his life.
"I remember the people who were my friends when I had $28, and that's not going to change," he said.
After the bills are paid, Shaw said he'll likely buy his girlfriend a car, take the kids to Disney World and visit a dentist about his front teeth, which are missing.
In the coming days Shaw will decide whether to take the lump sum of $125 million or go for annual installments over the next 29 years.

You don't get the whole lump over there
The Mega Millions jackpot is an estimated 26-year annuity value.  When players choose the annuity option for their prize, the state lottery pays the prize out over 26 years by buying U.S. Government Treasury Securities, which earn interest and mature annually over the 26 years.  That annual return is the amount the winners receive each year for the 26 year period.  With the cash option, the state lottery will take the amount of money that would have been invested and will pay it directly to the winner in one payment.  Both payment options have federal and applicable state taxes deducted from them, although with an annuity option you pay taxes gradually on each annual payout, not all at once like with the cash option.

I think I could manage!
5 REPLIES
WildRose52
Grafter

Re: Convenience Clerk Wins $258 MILLION Lottery

I`d take the $125 million in one go, and decide for myself how or where to invest it.
Least its going to someone who was down on their luck, but its alot of money -
I always think that sort of figure (if split between several winners) would make alot
of ppl very happy.
But good luck to the guy - hope he keeps a steady head (many dont and end up
broke again)
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I know you dont watch it but Chan 5 Gadget show has a stupid competition,  a qustion, choice of 3 answers, two absolutely rediculous, then con the punters into phoneing up a premium 0900 line to enter.
The next bit is even worse, most of the items on the show given to one person, not shared amongst those with the correct "Guess", like four 52 inch tellies, three recorders, five bikes etc etc (all in one weeks list)
WildRose52
Grafter

The mind boggles at their mentality.
There was another TV show that used to run a daft viewer
quiz at the end of each show.
(cant remember its name though)  Same as you said,
2 daft answers and one obvious one, and had to phone
a premium line number to enter.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Community Veteran

It was the 10th biggest ever Powerball win.  Biggest win ever was $365m which was won by a syndicate of 8 people.