cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Contents Insurance ONLY

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Contents Insurance ONLY

I have just completed Moneysupermarket request for a quote for CONTENTS ONLY, as a TENANT... for £50k.... premiums are cheap, ranging from just under £70 to well over double, but the basic cover remains the same throughout the list of quotes..... the biggest bugbear is that there is a "voluntary" excess figure of (min) £50 and a "compulsory" excess figure of  (at least) £250  (varies from company to company.).. making a "small claim" of less than £300 a waste of time and effort, because really anything below that figure is just NOT INSURED....
So if I lost my camera, or had it stolen....... at less than £150 it would not be replaced by the insurance company.... they would just laugh ....
does anyone know of any company that does not have such stupidly high "excess" figures....
Bear in mind this is for CONTENTS ONLY...... and living in RENTED (tenant) accomodation...
9 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Contents Insurance ONLY

Ho Hum...!    Roll eyes
Must take more time to read ALL of the web page content...... Embarrassed
there is a little box on the left side that you can change the excess figure !  (doh!)  Roll eyes 
changed it to 0 excess, and it comes back with a min of £50 for voluntary PLUS £50 compulsory.... ended up paying SAGA just under £80 for the year, with some good benefits included in the details of the policy basics...
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Shutter, for specific named items you should perhaps look at an all-risks policy..
Used to sell lots of them when I was "a man from the Pru" more years ago than I care to remember.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

Me too..... but the old "Hearth and Home" policy has long gone !!! ...
I never did wear a trilby hat on my rounds ....!  Did you?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

No! and didn't ride a bike on my rounds either (was before I started to drive) Used to walk a couple of mile each way before I got into the round itself. Carried an awful lot of money around with me though, but was never mugged for it.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

Ah yes.... them were the days, when you could go into a tower block, ride the lift to the top, and run all the way down the stairs, calling on each floor, and be a couple of hundred pounds richer by the time you left, without any problems .... !..
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Nowadays you'd be 200 quid poorer if you met Dwayne on the way down the stairs of the tower block.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
jmd
Grafter

Shutter - try Age UK - they are usually cheaper than Saga and have very good service/cover.
nadger
Rising Star

Quote from: jmdlp
try Age UK
As an aside they don't do bad leccy/gas deal with E-On
Just switched to it.
Community Veteran

I've been with E.On for a few years for gas and electricity. On their Age tariff you get a credit whenever the temperature drops to 0ºC. I get a credit most years for my 2 winter quarters.