cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Contaminated Water

Fixes: 47

Contaminated Water

Does anyone around here live in the Lancashire area and is affected by this http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lancashire-33881017
The advice is to boil all drinking water.
My query is all this, boiling water costs individuals money so who is paying for the extra electricity/gas used.
Thankfully I'm not affected but I sympathise with those who are.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
20 REPLIES
Steve
Pro

Re: Contaminated Water

That was on the 12th August is it still unsafe?
Community Veteran

I have friends who went to the area last weekend. They took a plentiful supply of bottled water which their hosts were very grateful for.
Bottled water is being supplied to households by the water authority.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

according to the news this evening it is still unsafe
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: Strat
My query is all this, boiling water costs individuals money so who is paying for the extra electricity/gas used.

Thats not important.. to the powers that be anyway.
Our council tells us we have to wash out plastic food trays / containers (eg from microwave meals etc). Now seeing as most of the places in my area are all fairly new with water meters, who's paying our water bill? certainly not the council.. but i'll bet they've got a little revenue from the water board for the advice to households. We're not on a water meter thankfully (one of a selected few) so it makes no difference to us either way but my point is that why should they insist we have to spend our time and money?
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

United Utilities face a £15m bill in compensation for the problem.
Compensation
They have already paid some households for the extra cost of boiling their water.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Well I am one of those affected.
There are many questions that need answering and the first is how long was this contaminated water flowing through the taps before people were informed, what was the cause and why is it taking so long to get sorted out, a spoksman for united utilities said he could give no firm date to when it would be sorted out but confirmed the bug was still in the system.
Personally I have other worries, the boiled water tastes awful so they have clearly added some chemical to the water supply, it would be interesting to know what this chemical is, the amount added and what reaction it could have with prescribed medication .
I have already contacted united utilities on these very points but they can take up to 10 days to respond.
Currently we are using bottled water and it's unlikely any compensation will cover the cost.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Install one of these: http://www.eastmidlandswater.com/Details.asp?ProductID=50
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

You must be kidding !
Not sure what your water rates are but we must have some of the highest in the country.
For what we pay I expect drinkable water to be coming through the taps.
Lucky this didn't happen in London, if it did you would see every man and his dog taking legal action.
Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Quote from: gleneagles
Lucky this didn't happen in London, if it did you would see every man and his dog taking legal action.

Yep, but up north we have a "Keep calm and carry on" attitude, granted boiling the water would be an inconvenience, but, at least you still have water available... Smiley
At least it's not as daft as in the US where someone had a wee in a reservoir and people complained to the water company, so they drained it off to clean it out, because a human urinated in it, completely ignoring the fact that it was probably filled with bird droppings, animal waste, dead creatures, dead bodies (hopefully none human!!) and other nasties that are far worse than one bladderful of pee... Roll eyes
Community Veteran

Well I am one of those affected.

@gleneagles, once the matter is resolved it would be interesting to hear from you about the compensation you have been offered.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

You must be kidding !

Smiley

It depends whether you want drinkable water or revenge I guess.  Wink
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
cedlor
Grafter

Quote from: artmo

They have already paid some households for the extra cost of boiling their water.

I dont think that is correct - I believe that related to another problem, not the current one.
UU have said they wont even consider the  compensation  aspect until they are sure the supply is
clear of the infection.
Prestonian
Steve
Pro

Quote from: artmo
@gleneagles, once the matter is resolved it would be interesting to hear from you about the compensation you have been offered.
Well it is resolved and the compensation one can claim is up to ' 60 quid '
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lancashire-34141380
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lancashire-34169201
Community Veteran

I Contacted UU to find out what they added to the water, despite boiling it and leaving it to cool before leaving it in the fridge it tasted awful.
They phoned me up several days later and insisted nothing had been added but I am not convinced, the guy I spoke to did everything to get me off the subject by telling me they only used ultra violet and that we would get compensation in the next 4 days.
Just wish I had kept a sample of the water and got some private lab to test it.
Several other people I spoke to complained about the same problem.