cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Contactless Payment

nadger
Rising Star

Contactless Payment

SWMBO has just received new card from Barclays.
Anyone been using this method of payment?
14 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Re: Contactless Payment

I've had one of these cards for the last two issues from NatWest. So that must be better part of 5 years or more. Initially it was part of a limited trial issue, where there were only a very few areas where it could be used -Docklands in London being one of them- Somewhere I've never set foot in. Seem to vaguely recall it had a £10 limit or something quite low. Quite why I was chosen for the trial is rather beyond me.
Never used it as a contactless payment card. But if the overall coverage is getting wider and the bottom limit increased I suppose I might.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

Is this the card that is used in a  similar way to an oyster card?
scootie
Grafter

on a similar front has any taken on the phone contactless tech yet?
i believe  apple in its normal way have no plans to introduce the tech but you can get your iphone modded by certain company's,orange have taken it on board http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2011/may/20/contactless-pay-till-mobile-system
alanb
Grafter

I have three cards from Barclays with this nadger. I don't want it and haven't used it. I'm slightly irritated that it has been foisted on me without me getting any say. Though, from my reading of very sparse explanatory documentation that Barclays provide, I believe it remains inactive until the first time you use the card for this purpose, at which time you have to enter your PIN, and thereafter it is active. But getting anyone from Barclays to confirm this is really difficult. They try to avoid any discussion that they perceive as being critical or negative about this service. I would like to know, for example, if using my PIN in an ATM to get cash off my debit card has activated contactless payment.
I'm also a tad miffed that since it's introduction, a couple of years ago, the maximum transaction value has been unilaterally changed from £10 to something like £35, by Barclays. I see absolutely no reason why Barclays can't provide a customer option to turn it on and off and also set the transaction limit. With my three cards my total exposure to the risk of unauthorised transactions is over £1,000, if I allow all three to activate. Admittedly it should be lower if Barclays fraud detection is any good, but I'd prefer it to be £0 and stay that way.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Quote from: artmo
Is this the card that is used in a  similar way to an oyster card?

Well, I don't have an Oyster card but, I guess you are on the right track.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I've used it before. The maximum value is £15.
Only some of the big chains take it in London (Cafe Nero, Pret, EAT and Subway - though with Subway you'd struggle to find something less than that). Not really that much faster than using a debit card with PIN, so personally don't really see the point of it.
Supposed to be secure in the sense that if your card was lost/stolen it could only be used up to 5 times before you'd be asked for a PIN which the third party wouldn't know.
Main PITA for me is that now having a few of them in my wallet means my Oyster card doesn't work properly. So I now have to take it out and use it separately.
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

I believe you can use pieces of paper, technically known as "money".
You can set your own transaction limit etc.

alanb
Grafter

Eeek Barclays maximum transaction isn't £35. I must've misremembered. £15 is correct. I'd still want it to be £0 though.
The PIN is required after every 10 transactions, but Barclays say its systems could request it more often if unusual spending patterns are detected by them.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

seems to be a bit of a risky thing..... if your card gets cloned, then you are wide open...
at least if you card gets cloned under the non contactless system, the cloner needs your pin number...
anyway... having a £10 or £15 limit per transaction seems to indicate that the banks think there is a big risk too...
as "foxy" says.... money is much quicker and simpler to control....
pierre_pierre
Grafter

the only trouble is like the oyster card, you have to have somebody there to collect your pieces of paper and metal
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

With an Oyster card you can queue up in front of a machine to give it assorted metals, papers or plastic cards.
It then tells you that your Oyster card is more valuable than before and you shuffle off to touch it onto a yellow disc, which goes beep and the gates open.
Sometimes it fails to go beep though and the gates do not open.

itsme
Grafter

Quote from: Alex
Main PITA for me is that now having a few of them in my wallet means my Oyster card doesn't work properly. So I now have to take it out and use it separately.

Be interesting to see if they interfere with ski passes. If I see skiers going through the barriers holding their wallets above their heads then I know that the do,  Grin
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Quote from: Alex
Supposed to be secure in the sense that if your card was lost/stolen it could only be used up to 5 times before you'd be asked for a PIN which the third party wouldn't know.

Yeah that sounds secure doesn't it. Instead of 0 uses without a pin now crooks only get up 5 uses of it before they need a pin  Shocked
Has the world gone totally mad? How the hell can it be secure if someone can use it without even knowing a pin?
Quote from: A
I believe you can use pieces of paper, technically known as "money".
You can set your own transaction limit etc.

Well said.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I know what you mean, a potential £75 can now be scammed without a PIN.
I guess the banks thinking is they'll just cover the loss which would be on a small scale, and its not like you can do much with it at the moment. Unless a second hand sandwich can be exchanged for drugs (not looked at this myself), I don't suppose it'll be that attractive to criminals.