Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Consumer law

Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 5

Consumer law

Hi
I know there aren't many lawers around here, but there are a good few who know bits about the law.  I can remember a discussion a short time ago about consumer law, but can't find the topic using the search here.
We bought a bath tap from Screwfix just over a year ago (9th August 2007 to be exact).  This funnily enough we fitted to our bath!  There are only 2 of us in the house, and we don't use the bath that often as we both usual shower instead.  Anyway, the last couple of times it has been getting a little awkward to move when you've run the hot tap for a short time.  Yesterday it totally gave up on us and my wife couldn't turn it off at all.  She had to pull the plug out and leave it running till my dad could get round (as I was on the train to work at the time) to turn the water off at some valves we put in before the tap.
I've removed the tap from the bath now, and need to pop down to Screw Fix to have a word.  I've not spoken to Screw Fix yet, so have no idea what they will say when I go.  Before I do that I just wanted to refresh my memory on what was said about consumer law, so I am armed with some facts incase they wont change it.
Am I right in thinking that they should still change/refund or something even though it is over 12 months?  Would the consumer law spoken about previously cover this?
Many thanks guys,
Phil
5 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Consumer law

Hi
The Sale of Goods Act gives consumers rights when they buy goods.  Screwfix may try to argue that they don't supply retail (i.e. they are only a trade supplier) , in which case the law is different.  I don't think they will, but they might.
The law applies to all purchases, but obviously some are harder to enforce than others.  You'll need a proof of purchase ( a receipt is best, but it may be enough to have a credit card slip, or even a credit card or bank statement).  The other issue might be that they argue the damage was caused by whoever fitted it (overtightening it or something like that), in which case they wouldn't be liable.  Not being a plumber, or in any way a DIY enthusiast, I couldn't say what damage could have been caused by fitting. (if a job's worth doing- it's worth paying somebody to do it properly  Smiley)
Be prepared to speak to someone who can do something about it (the guy behind the counter may not have the authority to help you, it's not his fault.  Ask to speak to a manager if necessary, or even push it up to the area manager.  How much effort you're willing to put in, will depend on how strongly you feel about it, and probably the cost of the tap.
Good luck
Superuser
Superuser

Thanks hulls.  I'll pop in tonight (hopefully) and see what they say.  I've got the receipt.  I just wanted to be armed with a bit more knowledge before I go in, in case they want to be awkward.  I'll let you know how I get on!
Phil
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

You may be able to find whatever you need to know here:
http://www.consumerdirect.gov.uk/
To avoid using 0845 number the local numbers listed here may apply:
http://www.consumerdirect.gov.uk/about/how-we-help/
Superuser
Superuser