cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Consumer advice - complaints

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Consumer advice - complaints

I had a real rotten experience today with a major high street retailer. Needless to say the assistant manager became involved and now the company customer services / HQ are involved too.
I get the impression like many that they're going to try and brush it under tha carpet..
Now I know with restaurants they used to have to hold a complaint book and have no more than x amount of unresolved complaints in a year. Is there any such thing for retailers that compels them to resolve complaints by law? I want a written apology out of them but they've not even bothered to ask for my address!
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
4 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Consumer advice - complaints

Trading Standards are the best bet if you have an unresolved issue that leaves you out of pocket or with faulty goods.
Failing that, from a moral point of view there isn't a lot more you can do other than name and shame and cost them business.
They weren't a company named after a hot spicy dish were they ?
Community Veteran

AFAIK restaurants do not have to keep a complaints book in this country although a number of European countries do.
I think picbits advice is good if your complaint is regarding goods.
Without any details it is difficult to offer further advice.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: picbits
They weren't a company named after a hot spicy dish were they ?

No! (not that I can even think of the company you're thinking of!)  No it's another brand who've been around for donkeys years, pretty secure financially and recession proof due to their market.
Never had such treatment at any retailer. I was absolutely disgusted with what happened today.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Give them seven days to respond to you, either by personal inteview, or letter.... If the manager and his staff fail to do that, which seems likely as they havent got your address ( other contact detailsHuh)
Then, write a very detailed letter to the C.E.O., of the company, copy it to the Human Resources Manager, and the Customer Service manager.  Making sure that you use the "formal business address" above the "Dear sir",... which should also show the CC to: - names...
Somewhere near the end, remind them of their obligations to deal with complaints in a suitably short space of time, and in the name of good customer relations, otherwise you will be obliged to pass the matter to solicitors, Trading Standards, and the local press, if you think that is necessary....
Give them another seven days from date of letter, to comply, and see what happens next...
If nothing else, you will have stirred up a hornets nest in the organization, as no CEO likes to hear "bad" about his senior staff......