cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Congratulations to BT

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Congratulations to BT

BT are delivering superfast broadband to the Highlands and Islands of Scotland.
Members of the programme are celebrating the successful installation in the island of Millport today, after work started in July to establish a fibre network across 40 island and mainland locations from Orkney to Kintyre.
The successful installation is the latest step in the Digital Scotland project to bring high-speed fibre broadband to 84 per cent of the Highlands and Islands region by the end of 2016.

I say "Well Done" to BT!  If only they could manage the same intensity of progress in my local town main street where I live within 300 metres of the local exchange.  Wink
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
20 REPLIES
nanotm
Pro

Re: Congratulations to BT

it is rather strange how they concentrate on areas where there is the lowest density of customers, I mean the target is 90% of the population by the end of 2017 so knowing they are months behind schedule and are likely to miss the deadline by a few years they choose to take a relatively uninhabited area and waste 6 months on it .....
don't get me wrong its only right that they provide the services to the every home in the nation but why do all such improvements get concentrated on areas in relatively remote and unpopulated areas in front of those in higher density areas like towns and cities that are largely still struggling on adsl ......
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

It's all about fairness and equality, it's more fair to give to those with more money who are considered more equal than the rest of us.... Grin
nanotm
Pro

if that was true they would of stuck fibre into every house in the south before they went past the Watford gap
alanf
Aspiring Pro

Quote from: nanotm
it is rather strange how they concentrate on areas where there is the lowest density of customers, ...

Government funding?
PembsPanther
Grafter

They should not need any funding of any description if they had not spent years filling shareholder pockets with cash and were instead investing in new technology and infrastructure as they SHOULD have been doing, they are a complete disgrace of a company that should be torn apart and sold off to more competent people who are capable of keeping the UK at the forefront of technology where we should be. They have held the UK back at least 10 years if not more, complete embarrassment that other less developed countries around the world have a much much better telecommunication infrastructure than we do, sack the lot of em!
nanotm
Pro

you could say the same thing about every utility company, the difference is most of them were broken into smaller parts and far from getting better at making the uk the best they got better at filling deeper pockets, the only time the country has benefited from utility companies is when they were not or profit NGO's who invested the money in on-going improvements and research, the minute they became for profit entities they became useless
itsme
Grafter

UK telecommunication infrastructure is no worst than the majority of Europe or the USA. This is because all these areas have had to break up the monopoly to allow free competition. The countries that have advanced infrastructure still have a state monopoly telecommunication system.
Community Veteran

If we had something similar to the Bell Labs in the US, we probably would be at about the same level as the US is with it's telephone systems, after all, in the 70s, they had touchtone while we still used pulse dialling using the latest GPO 700 series telephones of the era, today, FTTH/P is commonplace in the US, but here, nope, very limited as to where it is and who it's available to, we are pretty behind the times to be honest, and it hasn't been helped by many factors throughout the decades since the first telephones were installed in the UK... Undecided
Still, makes for some interesting history, collectible gadgets and good ol' rotary telephones...  Grin
Community Veteran

Quote from: itsme
This is because all these areas have had to break up the monopoly to allow free competition.

Tell that to my friend over in Texas where a telephone company has legally blocked all competition from where he lives, meaning you get phone service from them and nobody else (bar the cable company he's ended up with), so the various breakups haven't been as ticketyboo as they may have seemed... Smiley
PembsPanther
Grafter

If the government is to hand over cash in the hope of us catching up then for me they should be handing it to Virgin Media and encouraging THEM to cover 90% of the UK BT has already proved time after time they are not a company to be trusted in any way!
nanotm
Pro

why the government still has a 40% stake in BT and is free to tell them what to do when to do it and how to do it (which is part of the problem) VM has no such controls built in is a subsidiary of some foreign company and couldn't be relied to provide comms for the UK in the event that political relations soured in the future .....
PembsPanther
Grafter

Indeed but I wonder how BT and OR would get their fingers out of their arrises and find some cash so they could still remain part of the market, end result 90 - 98% UK coverage with BT and Virgin Media, oh and then also some REAL competitive pricing Smiley
What foreign entity rules VM then?
Community Veteran

PembsPanther
Grafter

Thanks for that their HQ is in London and on he face of it they are a massive worldwide company I doubt we as a country would have much to fear from them, they seem to have more spare cash than BT anyway!