cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Congratulations DVLA

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Congratulations DVLA

Within 15 minutes (including driving home) of being handed my car's MoT pass certificate (first time of asking Cool) the tax disc was in the post to me. Having had the MoT pass, insurance and disabled exemption verified online. Requiring the input of four organisations; DVLA, garage, insurance company and DoWP (5 if you include my input) to come together.
Could easily imagine the rising of a hens mate somewhere along the line.
Something actually works...
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
13 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Re: Congratulations DVLA

It's been a long journey for the DVLA (ex DVLC). The original project put forward by the Civil Service technicians for a computer using magnetic disks was cancelled by the Treasury in favour of a design by consultants using magnetic tape, extending the document processing time from overnight to a lengthy serial process taking several days.
The data conversion process for vehicle licensing was a classic "don't do this" project. Over the space of two years the hand written vehicle records from 240 town/county halls were converted to the centralised computer system in Swansea. The experienced staff in the town halls, who completed the conversion forms, had been told they were being made redundant. In the Swansea centre local housewives and school leavers were recruited to "punch" the data into keyboard terminals. The old manual records were taken from the town halls and stacked on shelves in an old aircraft hanger about 30 miles from Swansea. Each town hall had it's own local procedures in their original vehicle licensing. The only control over MOT Certificates was by the serial numbers of the certificate books issued to garages. In those days the garages passed no details of the MOT results to the DVLA.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

Now there's an idea...if all this info can be used by the Police for their ANRP and some county councils for enforcing bus lanes for instantaneous read out. It seems to me that its only a step further for the system to recognise registered blue badge holders so that sensors could be placed in parking bays that would automatically fine offenders using them without a badge.
Would pay for itself overnight!!
Petlew pleads, this is not a sometimes hotly debated question of the rights and wrongs of the placement of disabled bays, only those who use them incorrectly.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

The only problem there petlew is that blue badges aren't registered to a particular car. Blue badge holders can use any car or be given a lift by anyone so they can use it in any car.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

That, I have to admit is true sprite Embarrassed

Community Veteran

To make matters worse the serial numbers are usually written on by hand, and then they fade in the sunlight. Not even a barcode or QR code to b picked up by camera.
The dumbest thing about the blue badge is that the owners name and photo are on the other side! For years Parking officers didn't even have the legal right to ask to see that side of it either. It really was one of the worst thought up ideas ever.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

MOT query, how long does it last?
Just got mine done, its on a new a5 size orm
My car first registered on the 20th with tax renewal on 1st Dec
last years issued 22nd 2010, expires 21st 2011
this years has this comment on it
to preserve the anniversary of the expirey date the earliest you can present your vehicle for test is 22/10/2012
  and above expiry date 21st Nov 2012
surely thats more than 12 month?
Community Veteran

12 months and yes you can present the car upto a month early and they honour the original date. It's useful if you want to have time to fix the car without it being forced off the road as you can test it a month early and if it fails, you can legally keep it on the road whilst getting it fixed and then re-present it again for retesting.
I thought the great oracle pierre knew that?
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: Sprite
you can legally keep it on the road whilst getting it fixed and then re-present it again for retesting.

Define 'keep it on the road' it illegal to drive a car that does not meet the MOT requirements.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I Think that means you must either be going to or for a pre booked MOT test or going to and from a garage where you have previously booked your car in for repairs required following a MOT test failure.
I Think this is correct or otherwise you would not be able to drive your car away from a MOT testing station if it failed (some of these places only do MOTs and not repairs)
Equally when you get it home the only way to repair it for most people is by driving it to a garage for repair.
No doubt others will clarify the exact position if I am wrong about this.
Community Veteran

Funny you should mention that. my previous MoT certificate said I could renew any time after the 15th November. As it happens I didn't read this and booked an appointment on the 14th (quite by chance) and got a call from the garage asking if I wanted to proceed or not, but if I did the new tax would expire10/12 rather than 11/12 if I waited till tomorrow. Needless to say I rebooked for the 15th. The old tax disc shows 11/11.

Community Veteran

Quote from: itsme
Quote from: Sprite
you can legally keep it on the road whilst getting it fixed and then re-present it again for retesting.

Define 'keep it on the road' it illegal to drive a car that does not meet the MOT requirements.

Fair point made, I was told by the local tester that you could still use the car if it failed up to the expiry of the original certificate but checking this out on the direct.gov website seems to clarify this further that you can't. You can take it home, to repairs, away from repairs and to a retest etc but not use it.
Fixes: 122

[quote=http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/Mot/DG_4022108]If your vehicle fails its MOT it should be retested at the same test station which carried the original test, the notice of failure will contain further details of the type of retest required.
Note the word, should (my italics above). I assume if you drove more than a reasonable distance to another test centre it would be illegal (but that doesn't seem to have been made clear) and you'd probably have to have a full test paying the full fee.
What isn't clear is what happens if the original test centre has shut down before you can restest Undecided

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

coolbr33ze
Grafter

That would be the same as if it had changed ownership, a retest at the full fee.
If the test station changes ownership then a full retest must be carried out and a full test fee may be charged.

dick:quote