cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Congestion Charge in London

Community Veteran

Congestion Charge in London

Boris Johnson is being asked to scrap the congestion charge exemption in London.  If approved it could happen in July.  This would affect hybrid and low emission cars which have been exempt of VED up to now.
Exemption Charge
It could upset the muesli munchers Wink
19 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Re: Congestion Charge in London

Someone must have killed the Daily Mail servers but I managed to get the home page to work - and saw this http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2269694/Find-gap-The-detached-home-Northenden-Manchester-tha...
What were the planners thinking about - maintenance of the external walls has now become impossible
Back to the original story
Transport for London is to remove the Congestion Charge exemption for diesels and some Hybrids because soaring sales has increased pollution and traffic.
Diesels now account for one in two sales, but emit 22 times more soot particulates than petrol cars.
doesn't have quite the same impact

Razer
Grafter

Quote from: Oldjim
Someone must have killed the Daily Mail servers

For a moment there my heart leapt with joy as I read 'Someone has killed the Daily Mail.'
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Sorry about that  Embarrassed
Community Veteran

My link appears to be working fine Smiley
David_W
Rising Star

Next up, more people buy motorbikes or mopeds, so in a few years time expect that exemption to vanish too.....
Community Veteran

In a discussion on the radio today that was the very idea put forward, but the caller did have a vested interest - he owned a motorcycle shop Wink Wink
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Nasty sooty diesels will not be exempt regardless of their MPG or KPL.
The costgestion tax is essentially unfair as it takes no account of the mileage driven on the day, drive 10 metres in the zone and the charge is the same as if you are continually driving all day.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

Diesels now account for one in two sales, but emit 22 times more soot particulates than petrol cars.

Memo to Transport for London committee.
Select emissions to justify charges. And no one is to mention this is really just about raking in extra cash.

Lets face it if cars became able to run on water how long would it be before it would have to be only the special government approved pink water that costs £10 a gallon.
nadger
Rising Star

On numerous occasions I drove less than half a mile into W1, dropped off a package and came straight out again.
In those days it cost my customer £8  Cry
Daylight robbery.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Same old story, they encourage people to buy an expensive item with the promise it will cost them less or even nothing and when enough people have done this the price goes up.
At one time they were encouraging people to buy diesel cars as diesel was much cheaper......... what price is it now ?
The next thing will be the solar panels, whats the betting the feed in tariff allowance will drop on those at some stage in the near future.
Perhaps I should have a poll to see if I should change my user name from Gleneagles to Mr Grumpy ?  Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Quote from: billnotben
Lets face it if cars became able to run on water how long would it be before it would have to be only the special government approved pink water that costs £10 a gallon.

Off topic:- Always believed, that within my lifetime water powered cars will become common.
With better battery power, mobile electrolysis becomes feasible.
Pour sea-water into the tank, separate the elements, vent to Oxygen off into the atmosphere, run the car on Hydrogen and use the left over salt on your chips for lunch! Cheesy
http://www.theengineer.co.uk/in-depth/the-engineer-qa-hydrogen-powered-vehicles/1014781.article
Using water as a fuel source gets over the problem of shipping, storage and distribution of Hydrogen.
Which leads onto offshore wind farms, using electricity from Turbines to electrolyse sea water and store pipe/ship the Hydrogen ashore for use in land based Power stations run on Hydrogen on calm days.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: artmo
Boris Johnson is being asked to scrap the congestion charge exemption in London.

It was only a matter of time though wasn't it. As usual, those with money get perks and once they've had it the perks are removed so the rest of us don't get them. Those Hybrid cars are starting to hit the second hand markets now which means they're working their way down towards the lower classes.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Fixes: 104

and the batteries will start to die and cost a fortune to replace. i'd stay well clear anyway.
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran

Quote from: Sprite
It was only a matter of time though wasn't it. As usual,

Did you read the article before your rant Undecided It is being considered because it is no longer working.
Soaring sales of Congestion Charge exempt eco-cars making air quality worse
Diesels emit 22 times more soot particles than petrol cars